X11R5 for the IBM Xstation ?

X11R5 for the IBM Xstation ?

Post by Pim Zandberg » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 20:03:08



Does AIX 3.2.3ext/X11R5 provide an X11R5 server for the Xstation ?

If so, will this server still need the Xstation manager daemon ?

If not, will the old Xstation server/manager software work with
X11R5 fonts and clients ?

Thank you.
--

snail  : Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70, 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands
phone  : +31 70 3542302
fax    : +31 70 3512837

 
 
 

X11R5 for the IBM Xstation ?

Post by David L. Cr » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 23:34:44



>Does AIX 3.2.3ext/X11R5 provide an X11R5 server for the Xstation ?

    I believe that the 3.2.3e tape that includes AIXwindows 1.2.3 (ie R5),
  also include the Xstation Manager 1.4 (the R5 server for Xstations).

Quote:>If so, will this server still need the Xstation manager daemon ?

    It will work the same way as before (ie it can use the Xstation
  manager daemon to fetch fonts).  However, since R5 includes support
  for PCF fonts (which are device, byte-order, etc. independent) you
  can use the other methods of font access (tftp, NFS, font server) to
  retrieve fonts from another source other than the Xstation manager.

Quote:>If not, will the old Xstation server/manager software work with
>X11R5 fonts and clients ?

    The server will not work with the old (snf) fonts.  Most R5 clients
  should work unless they use some of the new R5 protocol (eg the Xcms
  stuff).
--
 ----------- Opinions expressed are mine, not my employer's ----------

 |  IBM AWS Graphics Systems    |  IBM VNET: CROW at AUSTIN          |
 |  Austin, Republic of Texas   |  (512) 838-1134  T/L 678-1134      |

 
 
 

X11R5 for the IBM Xstation ?

Post by Fred Neash » Sat, 17 Apr 1993 05:39:03


I have tried bringing up the font server {FS} under 3.2.3, using the
directions in INFO and Johnson & Richard's book for the fsconfig file, but the
Xserver was unable to get the fonts delivered to it... The only thing I
can think
of was that, not being root, I was running under my ID AND I could not
modify the
/etc/services file for the port 7000 entry.

R5 font service would certainly be a boon to the Xstations we are running,
especially as the RS6000 is the ONLY place were all the needed fonts can be
found for our multivendor shop!

Any help is appreciated.

Fred Neasham
MVS Systems Programming
Univ. Of Az.

a fellow comp.os.aix newsgrouper....

 
 
 

X11R5 for the IBM Xstation ?

Post by Werner Guenth » Sun, 18 Apr 1993 02:44:18



Quote:

>I have tried bringing up the font server {FS} under 3.2.3, using the
>directions in INFO and Johnson & Richard's book for the fsconfig file, but the
>Xserver was unable to get the fonts delivered to it... The only thing I
>can think
>of was that, not being root, I was running under my ID AND I could not
>modify the
>/etc/services file for the port 7000 entry.

Port 7000 is used by the 'x_st_mgrd' process. Try running the font server
with a different port (i.e. fs -port 7001).

Quote:>R5 font service would certainly be a boon to the Xstations we are running,
>especially as the RS6000 is the ONLY place were all the needed fonts can be
>found for our multivendor shop!
>Any help is appreciated.

Hope it helps,
Werner

Quote:>Fred Neasham
>MVS Systems Programming
>Univ. Of Az.

--
___________________________________________________________________________
Werner Guenther                | Computing Center, University of Heidelberg


 
 
 

X11R5 for the IBM Xstation ?

Post by Chris Jacobs » Tue, 20 Apr 1993 21:41:51


In case it isn't clear, the 3.2.3 extended tape (with X11R5) includes
new bootfiles for Xstations which I presume are X11R5: bootfile3 for
Xstation 120, bootfile4 for Xstation 130.  You must change
your Xstation config EPROM to use the new bootfile.
--
*******************
Chris Jacobsen, Department of Physics, SUNY at Stony Brook


*******************

 
 
 

1. X11R5 on AIX with Xstation

Hi.

What does one have to do to get X11R5 working on an AIX box, where the
display is an XStation?  I have been able to find the precompiled
clients, libraries, and header files, but the X server won't work for
an X station.

Thanks.

        Art Werschulz

        ATTnet:    (212) 636-6325

2. libxv3.so.3 how to find ?

3. DISPLAY and XSTATION variables become unset for Xstations

4. partitioning ntfs with fips, possible?

5. IBM Xstations (150) + SUN SOlaris

6. httpd.conf and virtual hosts, mod_ssl - Need Help plz

7. IBM Xstation 120 Setup

8. - Major automotive website -

9. Booting IBM Xstations from a Sun :-(

10. Xarchie on IBM Xstation

11. X-Terminal Question -- IBM Xstation 130

12. IBM Xstation 120

13. How to make an IBM XStation 120 work???