Some device special files missing after restoring from mksysb

Some device special files missing after restoring from mksysb

Post by Ng Pheng Sio » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:27:06

Hi,

I had the occasion to restore from a tape made from "mksysb" on the same
machine.

The restoration appears fine, but device special files for filesystems on
other than the first hard disks were not recreated and now I can't mount
those filesystems.

How do I find out the major/minor numbers for those device special files so
I can mknod them? (I'm assuming the data in those filesystems is intact.
;-)

Alternatively, what other steps can I take to fix this?

Already tried "cfgmgr" (no options) without effect.

Hints very much appreciated. Cheers.
--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

Some device special files missing after restoring from mksysb

Post by Ulrich Koern » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:19:55

Quote:> Hi,

> I had the occasion to restore from a tape made from "mksysb" on the same
> machine.

> The restoration appears fine, but device special files for filesystems on
> other than the first hard disks were not recreated and now I can't mount
> those filesystems.

> How do I find out the major/minor numbers for those device special files so
> I can mknod them? (I'm assuming the data in those filesystems is intact.
> ;-)

> Alternatively, what other steps can I take to fix this?

> Already tried "cfgmgr" (no options) without effect.

> Hints very much appreciated. Cheers.

Hi,

if you can see these disks by "lspv" you can look for their logical
volumes by "lqueryvg -Atp hdiskX", where X is standing for the right
number of the harddisk.
If everything seems to be ok, import this volume group with "importvg
-y <vgname> <hdiskX>". This should work.

Regards - Ulli

Post by Ng Pheng Sio » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:50:47

> > The restoration appears fine, but device special files for filesystems on
> > other than the first hard disks were not recreated and now I can't mount
> > those filesystems.

> > How do I find out the major/minor numbers for those device special files so
> > I can mknod them? (I'm assuming the data in those filesystems is intact.
> > ;-)

> if you can see these disks by "lspv" you can look for their logical
> volumes by "lqueryvg -Atp hdiskX", where X is standing for the right
> number of the harddisk.
> If everything seems to be ok, import this volume group with "importvg
> -y <vgname> <hdiskX>". This should work.

Thank you. It did.

I did importvg, then fsck, then mount. All was well again. ;-)

Cheers.

--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

1. restore one file from mksysb file?

Hello,
I need to restore one specific frile from a mksysb backup, stored as a
disk file. The system is AIX 4.2.1.

Is it possible to restore just one specific file? I know that if the
mksysb was on tape, I could skip two files on the tape, and then just
use tar to restore the one file. But, how to do this when the mksysb is
a disk file?

(-: Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95 :-)
Our ultimate goal is to make overloaded machines appear to be idle.
High performance, High reliability, Low cost -------- Pick any two.
Rune Mossige, Systems Support, Western Geophysical, Stavanger, Norway
Tel: (+47)51598922    Fax:(+47)51598999    Mobile:(+47)90871024

2. Looking for some apps and tutorials (FOR my kids)?

3. Restoring volume Group device files w/out restoring actual volume groups

4. DNS lost

5. Restoring AIX Volume group device files w/out restoring VG's?

6. DHCP

7. Restoring mksysb insists on restoring mirrors.

8. NIS client

9. \\\ Professional Images Virtual Domains/// Special Special Special Special

10. ADAPTEC 2400A: Special Device Inodes missing

11. Restore single file/directory from mksysb tape (aix 4.2.1)?

12. mksysb restore with map files fails due to hdisk renumbering

13. mksysb to disk file/restore