loggin in w/o ypserver

Post by David Guid » Fri, 08 May 1992 11:26:51

We have 3 320s one of which is a yp/nfs server for the other 2 and xdm server
for 4 X-stations.  We have had quite a bit of problems with the ypserver
recently (frequent 552 errors) and sometimes need to shut doen the other 2
machines while the server is fixed ('shutdown -F now' would be nice ;-).

I read something here a while back about "putting a '+' in the passwd file
to allow root logins even when the ypserver is down"[paraphrased].  Could
someone direct me to the info page describing exactly what has to be done
to allow somone to log in as root even when the ypserver is dead?

Thanks in advance
Dave Guidry