Model 250 Boot Issues (Final Solution)

Post by Smith, To » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  The final solution that worked
for me was posted in it entirety by Bernd Dammann.  Several other people
posted suggestions that were very similar ranging from getting an IBM
supplied cable to checking my TTY attributes.

I am assuming that if I had an IBM supplied cable, that the
modifications to the TTY attributes will not have been necessary.
Anyone with any better idea of why the cable would work for install, but
fail during install?  I want to thank everyone for posting any
suggestion and I apologize if I did not understand the answers that were
given to me.  Does this question need to be on the FAQ?  I am somewhat
embarrassed that the solution was as simple as it is.  Is it very common
to install AIX using a serial console WITHOUT an IBM supplied cable?

Thank you for your time and all of your suggestions.

Systems Analyst
Charleston Area Medical Center

Post by Bill Pembert » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Is it very common
>to install AIX using a serial console WITHOUT an IBM supplied cable?

It is for me.  We've got a whole lot RS/6000s with serial consoles and
very few that have IBM supplied cables (they cost WAY too much).

Here's the pinout we use for our cables:

RS232 console cable for RS/6000.

Term.    25-pin female

   3  --  2

   2  --  3

   5  --  4

   4  --  5

   7  --  7

  20  --  8 -|
          6 -|

|- 6
|- 8  -- 20

--
Bill

1. Model 250 Boot Issues (LONG)

Hello,

I have salvaged an Model 250 from a storeroom and I am considering
putting it back in service for a few light duties.  I dug up a AIX 4.2.1
license and media for a F40 that I wasn't using and have attempted to
install it on the 250.  It seems to install without problem, but when it
boots after installation it hangs with no LED codes.

The Model 250 was equipped with an GTX150 graphics card and monitor, but
the monitor is gone and I am trying to run the unit headless with an
VT320 terminal.  I have placed the unit in service mode and booted off
the AIX 4.2.1 CD-ROM and told it to do an Complete Overwrite install.
When it completes the final step, it asks the user to switch back to
Normal mode and it reboots.  During the reboot, it presents the
following dialog.

+ swcons -c

Saving Base Customize Data to boot disk
Starting the sync daemon
Starting the error daemon
System initialization completed.
0513-059 The syslogd Subsystem has been started.  Subsystem PID is 3866.
0513-059 The sendmail Subsystem has been started.  Subsystem PID is
3360.
0513-059 The portmap Subsystem has been started.  Subsystem PID is 3622.
0513-059 The inetd Subsystem has been started.  Subsystem PID is 4140.
0513-059 The snmpd Subsystem has been started.  Subsystem PID is 4402.
0513-059 The dpid2 Subsystem has been started.  Subsystem PID is 4664.

Thoughts on the problem and my progress:

1.  The dpid2 subsystem might be causing problems.  I tracked down every
reference to it in /etc/smnpd.peers and /etc/rc.tcpip and remarked it
out.  I /dev/nulled the /var/tmp/dpid2.log, just in case.  I then
rebooted with No Joy.  It stopped just after the snmpd subsystem
started.

2.  The console is somehow switching to graphics mode and I am losing
output.  I tracked down all references to the console and it is all
pointing to /dev/tty0 like it should.  I then rebooted with No Joy.

3.  During install, AIX is detecting the GTX150 and makes changes to the
ODM that conflict with smit or chdev. I physically removed the GTX150
from the box.  I then rebooted in diag mode and checked to see if the
card was present.  I would have thought that it should have given me an
dialog that a resource was present and is now missing. Diag showed me
the normal equipment with the exception of the GTX150.  I then rebooted
in normal mode and what do you think, No Joy.

I have run out of thoughts and I need help to continue farther. I am
crossposting this message to AIX-L and AIX-Digest in a attempt to
encourage discussion that might help me track down the issue.

Thank you for time

Systems Analyst
Charleston Area Medical Center

2. promise fasttrak ide raid on linux 2.4 in the future?

3. Model 250 Boot Issues (Follow-up)

4. Help!

5. Model 250 boot problem

6. Do I need recompile the kernel after add another CPU?

7. booting from external CD-ROM on model 7011-250

8. "data missing" in netscape (Again)

9. RS/6000 Model 250 Manuals

10. how do I force a Model 250 open?

11. Model 250 memory configurations