AIX wanted for IBM RS6000 (model 7011-220)

AIX wanted for IBM RS6000 (model 7011-220)

Post by Bram » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:38:27

It's just for hobby, so I hope someone's willing to help me out here.
I got the system to boot on AIX-3.5.2 disks so far, but I now lack the
installation media. I can hook up an external cdrom w/512b block size.

Kind regards,
Bram

AIX wanted for IBM RS6000 (model 7011-220)

Post by Bram » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 04:09:59

Bram said:
Quote:>  It's just for hobby, so I hope someone's willing to help me out here.
>  I got the system to boot on AIX-3.5.2 disks so far, but I now lack the
>  installation media. I can hook up an external cdrom w/512b block size.

Right, the amount of offers somewhat equals my expectations.

In that case, I'm hoping for some clues as to how to get an existing AIX
install to work. When I got the machine, it would get to a code 553 on
the LED display. Yesterday I booted the thing using AIX-3.5.2 install
disks. I mounted the filesystems, checked the problems as indicated by
the error code, but couldn't find anything. The error code indicates
that / or /tmp is full, /etc/inittab is missing or corrupted, or
/etc/(un)mount is missing. None of these applied. The only thing I did
that I think that could have had some influence is running an fsck on
all partitions (nothing bad found), and removing /etc/.init.state which
was 0 bytes.
I halted the OS (since I couldn't properly unmount the filesystems I
figured that was the best thing to do). Then, powercycled the box and
let it boot. It got past the 553 code now, but very shortly after that
it stops with a flashing '888'. This is obviously a bad sign.. any
pointers as to how to investigate the problem?

Also, is it normal that I don't get any I/O on a serial console
connected to S1 while AIX is booting from the HD? I didn't get anything
while booting from the install floppies either, only the graphical
console seems to work (A Gt1 graphics adapter I think).

Oh, I don't even know the version of AIX installed. How to check this?

Regards,
Bram

Post by Bram » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 04:13:06

Bram said:
Quote:>  Bram said:
> >  It's just for hobby, so I hope someone's willing to help me out here.
> >  I got the system to boot on AIX-3.5.2 disks so far, but I now lack the
> >  installation media. I can hook up an external cdrom w/512b block size.

>  Right, the amount of offers somewhat equals my expectations.

>  In that case, I'm hoping for some clues as to how to get an existing AIX
>  install to work. When I got the machine, it would get to a code 553 on
>  the LED display. Yesterday I booted the thing using AIX-3.5.2 install
>  disks. I mounted the filesystems, checked the problems as indicated by
>  the error code, but couldn't find anything. The error code indicates
>  that / or /tmp is full, /etc/inittab is missing or corrupted, or
>  /etc/(un)mount is missing. None of these applied. The only thing I did
>  that I think that could have had some influence is running an fsck on
>  all partitions (nothing bad found), and removing /etc/.init.state which
>  was 0 bytes.
>  I halted the OS (since I couldn't properly unmount the filesystems I
>  figured that was the best thing to do). Then, powercycled the box and
>  let it boot. It got past the 553 code now, but very shortly after that
>  it stops with a flashing '888'. This is obviously a bad sign.. any
>  pointers as to how to investigate the problem?

>  Also, is it normal that I don't get any I/O on a serial console
>  connected to S1 while AIX is booting from the HD? I didn't get anything
>  while booting from the install floppies either, only the graphical
>  console seems to work (A Gt1 graphics adapter I think).

>  Oh, I don't even know the version of AIX installed. How to check this?

I should have mentioned that the key is in SERVICE position, and I don't
have the key itself. Will this prohibit a normal boot sequence?

Bram

Post by C.L. Hartin » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:23:31

> Bram said:
> >  Bram said:
> > >  It's just for hobby, so I hope someone's willing to help me out here.
> > >  I got the system to boot on AIX-3.5.2 disks so far, but I now lack the
> > >  installation media. I can hook up an external cdrom w/512b block size.

> >  Right, the amount of offers somewhat equals my expectations.

> >  In that case, I'm hoping for some clues as to how to get an existing AIX
> >  install to work. When I got the machine, it would get to a code 553 on
> >  the LED display. Yesterday I booted the thing using AIX-3.5.2 install
> >  disks. I mounted the filesystems, checked the problems as indicated by
> >  the error code, but couldn't find anything. The error code indicates
> >  that / or /tmp is full, /etc/inittab is missing or corrupted, or
> >  /etc/(un)mount is missing. None of these applied. The only thing I did
> >  that I think that could have had some influence is running an fsck on
> >  all partitions (nothing bad found), and removing /etc/.init.state which
> >  was 0 bytes.
> >  I halted the OS (since I couldn't properly unmount the filesystems I
> >  figured that was the best thing to do). Then, powercycled the box and
> >  let it boot. It got past the 553 code now, but very shortly after that
> >  it stops with a flashing '888'. This is obviously a bad sign.. any
> >  pointers as to how to investigate the problem?

> >  Also, is it normal that I don't get any I/O on a serial console
> >  connected to S1 while AIX is booting from the HD? I didn't get anything
> >  while booting from the install floppies either, only the graphical
> >  console seems to work (A Gt1 graphics adapter I think).

> >  Oh, I don't even know the version of AIX installed. How to check this?

> I should have mentioned that the key is in SERVICE position, and I don't
> have the key itself. Will this prohibit a normal boot sequence?

> Bram

Yes.
Recently someone posted information on popping open the lock on a Model
220/250.

--

"Familiarity (with UNIX) breeds contempt (for other operating systems)
-- and children (Linux)."

AIX wanted for IBM RS6000 (model 7011-220)

Post by Bram » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:12:02

Quote:> > I should have mentioned that the key is in SERVICE position, and I don't
> > have the key itself. Will this prohibit a normal boot sequence?

> > Bram

>  Yes.
>  Recently someone posted information on popping open the lock on a Model
>  220/250.

Ah. Okay, circumventing the lock proved to be quite easy. But the box
still ends with a flashing 888. Does it dump meaningful logs anywhere?

Bram

>  --

>  "Familiarity (with UNIX) breeds contempt (for other operating systems)
>  -- and children (Linux)."

>  --------------77EBF7D8FC9FAD958BAAA9F8

>  me out here.
>  now lack the
>  block size.
>  existing AIX
>  code 553 on
>  install
>  by
>  indicates
>  or
>  thing I did
>  an fsck on
>  which
>  box and
>  after that
>  any
>  get anything
>  check this?
>  don't
>  Yes.
>  220/250.
> <pre>--&nbsp;

>  "Familiarity (with UNIX) breeds contempt (for other operating systems)
>  -- and children (Linux)."</pre>
>  &nbsp;</html>

>  --------------77EBF7D8FC9FAD958BAAA9F8--

1. Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server

Hi,
     I am trying to upgrade from AIX 42x to AIX 43x on a pizza box 220.  I am
booting off the CD in maintenance mode.  The install reads my boot cd and then
I get C31 on the display.  I have a Power GT1 graphics adapter and have a
feeling that it is not seeing my display adapter.  Anyone know if the 220 is
supported by IBM for AIX 43x?  I looked over their support site but found
nothing yet.  I suppose I could use the serial port for a console, but I would
rather use the graphics port if possible.  TIA,

Bryant

2. DC680C Driver

3. ibm 7011 model 220

4. scsi hard drives

5. SCSI Bus Errors on RS6000 7011-220

6. Solaris 2.5.1 O.S. Hardening

7. RS6000 7011-220

8. Multiple symbol def with static link

9. AIX 4.3.2 on a 7011-220: missing fileset devices.sys.sga

10. How to used AIX 4.3 on the PowerServer 7011-220

11. Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

12. WTB or Trade: AIX 4.x compliant video card for 7011-220

13. Help: POWERserver 220 model 7011