RS/6000 Model 220 7011, Video and Manuals

RS/6000 Model 220 7011, Video and Manuals

Post by johnnywhizki » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have just inheriteda model 220 RS/6000 and it does not have a video card.
It has a Microchannel bus. I tried using an XGA card but does not give any
video.

On the mother board is a set of 8 rows of pins but one is cut off, so we
have a total of 15, would that be a connection for the video, the set of
pins is right beside the processor.

Also, anywhere I can get a manual for htis ? The IBM site does not have the
model 220 listed anymore.

Any help will be musch appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnny

Post by Milton D. Miller » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I have just inheriteda model 220 RS/6000 and it does not have a video card.
>It has a Microchannel bus. I tried using an XGA card but does not give any
>video.

You will need an adapter supported by AIX.
There were some direct-bus-attached video adapters, but I think their
support was dropped in 4.3.

You could also use a serial terminal for the console, and a network attached
X window server for graphical display.

Quote:

>On the mother board is a set of 8 rows of pins but one is cut off, so we
>have a total of 15, would that be a connection for the video, the set of
>pins is right beside the processor.

That is probably the ESP connector, used to debug the processor.

milton
--

I never speak for IBM

1. Compatible memory for RS/6000 7011/220

I've searched for the answer to this question but I seem to find
conflicting advice.

I have an old 220 that I'd like to get AIX 4.3.3 running on. The four
internal SIMM sockets are empty. What SIMMS does this thing require
and how big can they be?

I have seen the following: Use PS/2 compatible memory and maximum is
96MB.

Is that the officialy supported max or can it go higher (96MB would be
okay for the job though).

Thanks!

Gary

2. CMU SNMP V2.1 location request

3. RS/6000 Model 250 Type 7011 with LinuxPPC ?

4. RPM don't

5. RS/6000 7011 model 250

6. Deleted /etc/init.d folder on Red Hat 7.0

7. Need transceiver to fit on the back of an RS/6000 model 220

8. Charset of my xterm

9. RS 6000 model 220 and AIX 4.3.1 are compatible?

10. rs/6000 Model 220 graphics performance (GT1 vs GT3)

11. RS/6000 model 220 - how good is it?

12. Help: POWERserver 220 model 7011

13. Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server