AIX 4.3.2 smitty 'chgsys' Fast Path

Post by Ken Abrahamse » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have a question RE: the first  'chgsys' Fast Path  parameter entitled:
Maximum number of PROCESSES allowed per user - AIX Default = 40).

Specifically, if 30 people login using the SAME aix login id (ie; y2ktest),
is this considered ONE user >>by this parameter<< (and therefore at least 30
of the 40 processes per user maximum for this one user would be 'consumed')

-- OR --

Since each of these SAME login ids would have its own PPID (PARENTAL PID),
would each login id only 'consume' ONE of the 40 per user maximum available
per user (leaving up to 39 processes available for EACH individual user)???

Thanks!
ken abrahamsen

Post by Julie Haug » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I have a question RE: the first  'chgsys' Fast Path  parameter entitled:
> Maximum number of PROCESSES allowed per user - AIX Default = 40).

> Specifically, if 30 people login using the SAME aix login id (ie; y2ktest),
> is this considered ONE user >>by this parameter<< (and therefore at least 30
> of the 40 processes per user maximum for this one user would be 'consumed')

> -- OR --

> Since each of these SAME login ids would have its own PPID (PARENTAL PID),
> would each login id only 'consume' ONE of the 40 per user maximum available
> per user (leaving up to 39 processes available for EACH individual user)???

Every process with the same UID, regardless of how it comes into
this world, counts towards MAXUPROC.

-- Julie.

AIX 4.3.2 smitty 'chgsys' Fast Path

Post by Ken Abrahamse » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Thank you for the clarification!!
ken
=================

>> I have a question RE: the first  'chgsys' Fast Path  parameter entitled:
>> Maximum number of PROCESSES allowed per user - AIX Default = 40).

>> Specifically, if 30 people login using the SAME aix login id (ie;
y2ktest),
>> is this considered ONE user >>by this parameter<< (and therefore at least
30
>> of the 40 processes per user maximum for this one user would be
'consumed')

>> -- OR --

>> Since each of these SAME login ids would have its own PPID (PARENTAL
PID),
>> would each login id only 'consume' ONE of the 40 per user maximum
available
>> per user (leaving up to 39 processes available for EACH individual
user)???

>Every process with the same UID, regardless of how it comes into
>this world, counts towards MAXUPROC.

>-- Julie.

AIX 4.3.2 smitty 'chgsys' Fast Path

Post by Dave Fel » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

I recommend you change the number of processes per user to 200.

IBM default is often too low on this.
- Dave

> I have a question RE: the first  'chgsys' Fast Path  parameter entitled:
> Maximum number of PROCESSES allowed per user - AIX Default = 40).

> Specifically, if 30 people login using the SAME aix login id (ie; y2ktest),
> is this considered ONE user >>by this parameter<< (and therefore at least 30
> of the 40 processes per user maximum for this one user would be 'consumed')

> -- OR --

> Since each of these SAME login ids would have its own PPID (PARENTAL PID),
> would each login id only 'consume' ONE of the 40 per user maximum available
> per user (leaving up to 39 processes available for EACH individual user)???

> Thanks!
> ken abrahamsen

1. zsh's 'typeset -U path' wipes out path/PATH

I've found a bug (or at best a very perverse "feature") in zsh; it
can be illustrated by the following three short scripts:

# script_A
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
echo $#path
typeset -U path
echo $#path
# eof

# script_B
source script_A
# eof

# script_C
c_fxn () { source script_A }
c_fxn
# eof

Note that both the contents of script_B and the body of the function
c_fxn defined in script_C consist of the same one line, namely
"source script_A".  Now,

% source script_B
3
3
% source script_C
3
0

In words, when script_A is sourced within a script that is itself
being sourced, typeset -U path preserves the components of PATH
(or at least their number), but if script_A is sourced within the
body of a *function*, calling the function causes the expression
typeset -U path to *clear* the contents of PATH.

Please-please-please don't tell me this is a feature!  I'd lose
all faith in the designers of zsh if this turns out to be a feature!

More importantly, how does one get around this problem.  I've tried
saving the value of $path before calling 'typeset -U' on it, and
restoring it afterwards, but the results have been disastrous (I've
tried too many variants to describe them all).

kj

2. SMTP-MAIL signal 11 ??

3. 'ls' and AIX 4.3.2 smitty Screen size??

4. RISC System Internal SCSI adapter to support more external devices

5. LinuxPPC99: 'INIT: ld ''x'' respawning too fast...'??

6. Interesting to Note: Win95 Dial Up w/ IP masquerading

7. methods to operate on instances of class ``Path'', was: path utility functions

8. How can I grep directory against a files contents

9. Can't Alter My Path, Can't Find My Path

10. Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

11. 64k files in dir - 'ls' slow but 'strace ls' fast?

12. has anyone ported 'httperf' or 'siege' to AIX 4.3.x?

13. Has anyone ported 'top' or 'sps' to AIX ?