Disabling snmp community name public for security purposes

Disabling snmp community name public for security purposes

Post by Erik Moesberge » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have two aix machines in a HACMP cluster in our network.
It was advised to us to disable the snmp deamon or at least to disable the
community name public .
To disable SNMP is no option because HACMP uses this for it hartbeats .
When i renamed the community public name in snmp.conf directory and added an
ip adress and a netmask
e.g
community public 191.22.123.12 255.255.255.0 ReadWrite    i expected that
all the servers within the net 191.22.123.0 could be members of this
community .

HACMP protested on this.

Can anyone advise me how to disable the snmp community name public .

Erik Moesbergen

1. on Changing SNMP Public Community Name on SyMon system

Our security manager has asked that I change the SNMP public community
name on our systems to something other than the default "public".

This would have been easy (editing /etc/snmp.conf/snmpd.conf) except
that we're running SyMon 2.1, and it disables snmpd so SyMon can handle
SNMP.

I think it involves running the "base-usm-seed" script, but that's all I
know.

I called Sun, and they said to change the "public" name in the "esusers"
file.  Wrong!  Hopefully someone here has a better idea on how to
accomplish this.

Thanks in advance,

- Robert

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ioperm()

3. Disable the snmpd community public in HACMP Cluster

4. tracing system calls on hp-ux

5. Examples of Linux and Open Source in community development and public sector projects?

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. SNMP community

8. Newbie Redhat 5.1 Setup Question

9. change of snmp community

10. SNMP community strings

11. Disabling memory for testing purposes?

12. Renaming SNMP comunityname public on HACMP cluster

13. Security of general purpose Linux distributions