impact printers and message printing

Post by Jim Chiva » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:

I have a oldish impact line printer attached to one of my RS6000. I have
been asked if there is a program that will print large "banner" type
messages on this printer. Generally speaking the letters are printed
sideways to makeup the phrase required. Does anyone know if such a program
exists for the rs6000. There were many of these programs around in the
olden days for IBM line printers.

Thanks

Jim

--

impact printers and message printing

Post by WWells15 » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

There is a "banner" program in the games package in many Linux distributions.
Try the RedHat site and look for the source code.

impact printers and message printing

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Use  the "banner" command.  Try this:

lsvirptr
    Select queue
        f=c
        fc=/your/filter

Where /your/filter is:

#!/bin/ksh
echo $USER | banner
cat -
exit 0

So, you're preceding the print job with a banner of the user name.

Regards,
Paul