AIX/PCNFS Woes

Post by Matt Anderso » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Sorry, can't use Samba.

Situation: AIX 4.3 box is exporting a directory to everyone, rw. I can
mount it just fine from my Linux client, and read/write files without
problems.

The main user of this export will be an automated milling machine that
is networked and I *believe* has a client based on PCNFS. Both this
milling machine and PCNFS clients like OmniNFS can mount the NFS share,
but cannot create new files on the share. They *can* modify existing
files, and create and delete directories - It's just creating files that
seems to be trouble. (I know, I know - create dir's but not files?
wierd....). Both indicate permissions error. However, the PC-based
clients, when trying to write a file, actually do create the files, but
they're empty!

Again, the Linux client to AIX mount works perfectly.

*ANY* help appreciated.

--
Matt Anderson

AIX/PCNFS Woes

Post by dschna.. » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Something seems to be modified in the latest nfsd
versions or somewhere else on the TCP/IP-Stack on
Linux and AIX. Both operating systems have exactly
the described problem in writing files. I
experienced the same problem with AIX 4.3.3 and
Redhat LINUX 6.1. I don't know what to do
currently.

If someone could pay attention to this very
annoying problem. I know that samba is the
workaround of choice for most of the people out
there but this is not a possible solution in all
situations (for instance if you need to change 20
client PC's because of that...) Microsoft
LAN-Manager for Dos is very often also not
possible because of memory problems...

Quote:> Sorry, can't use Samba.

> Situation: AIX 4.3 box is exporting a directory

to everyone, rw. I can
Quote:> mount it just fine from my Linux client, and

read/write files without
Quote:> problems.

> The main user of this export will be an

automated milling machine that
Quote:> is networked and I *believe* has a client based
on PCNFS. Both this
> milling machine and PCNFS clients like OmniNFS

can mount the NFS share,
Quote:> but cannot create new files on the share. They

*can* modify existing
Quote:> files, and create and delete directories - It's

just creating files that
Quote:> seems to be trouble. (I know, I know - create

dir's but not files?
Quote:> wierd....). Both indicate permissions error.

However, the PC-based
Quote:> clients, when trying to write a file, actually

do create the files, but

Quote:> they're empty!

> Again, the Linux client to AIX mount works
perfectly.

> *ANY* help appreciated.

> --
> Matt Anderson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

AIX/PCNFS Woes

Post by dschna.. » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I had to set the following options in smitty to allow pcnfs clients
(tuntcp) access to our server:

Change Attributes of an Exported Directory

Type or select values in entry fields.
Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.

                                                        [Entry Fields]
* PATHNAME of Directory to Export                     /fs1/dir1
* MODE to export directory
read-write              +
  HOSTS & NETGROUPS allowed client access            []
  Anonymous UID                                      [-2]
  HOSTS allowed root access                          [host1]
  HOSTNAME list. If exported read-mostly             []
  Use SECURE OPTION?
no                      +
  Public filesystem?
yes                     +
* CHANGE export now, system restart or both
both                    +
  PATHNAME of alternate Exports file                 []

F1=Help             F2=Refresh          F3=Cancel           F4=List
F5=Reset            F6=Command          F7=Edit             F8=Image
F9=Shell            F10=Exit            Enter=Do

Also on linux the problem was solved using similar instructions the
exports file looks like:

/mt1/dir1 (rw,no_root_squash,insecure)  # PCNFS Directory

I had to install some pcnfsd program to allow access for pcnfsd at all.

I hope your problem gets solved as well now....

Quote:> Sorry, can't use Samba.

> Situation: AIX 4.3 box is exporting a directory to everyone, rw. I can
> mount it just fine from my Linux client, and read/write files without
> problems.

> The main user of this export will be an automated milling machine that
> is networked and I *believe* has a client based on PCNFS. Both this
> milling machine and PCNFS clients like OmniNFS can mount the NFS
share,
> but cannot create new files on the share. They *can* modify existing
> files, and create and delete directories - It's just creating files
that
> seems to be trouble. (I know, I know - create dir's but not files?
> wierd....). Both indicate permissions error. However, the PC-based
> clients, when trying to write a file, actually do create the files,
but
> they're empty!

> Again, the Linux client to AIX mount works perfectly.

> *ANY* help appreciated.

> --
> Matt Anderson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

I hate to ask the often answered, but I have a TDK VeloCD CD-RW in my PII
233 machine installed as a master on the secondary IDE. I'm running
Mandrake-linux 7.0, and of course I get the bad link problem. I have run the
fix suggested on Mandrake's Web-page, but I can't figure a way to make the
fix either permenant or automatic. The fix (in case you haven't seen it is
to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to check for the presence of a working CD-RW,
then to type "cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom" in a terminal) This
fix works but there's got to be a better way...any thoughts.

2. 2.5.32 oops during reboot

3. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

4. Upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1

5. AIX 5.1 woes

6. Windows NT and Linux on One Hard Disk?

7. Legato client and AIX 4.2 install woes -

8. Readline key binding problem

9. AIX Networking Woes

10. AIX 4330-02 woes

11. AIX 3.2 remote printing woes ..

12. Notes 4.6.2 install on aix 4.2.1 woes

13. AIX 4.3.2 upgrade woes (disk configuration changes)