What tape drives work on RS/6000 220 AIX 3.2.5?

What tape drives work on RS/6000 220 AIX 3.2.5?

Post by BSD Bo » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have an old surplus 220 machine running what I think is AIX 3.2.
What kinds of tape drives work with the machine?

I tried using the PS/2 tape board and drive from an AIX 1 box, and
it would not recognize it at all (Cipher tape drive I think, and
MCA interface board).  It was a long shot, but worth trying since
that is a nice rugged drive.

Available in my stock of tape drives are an Exabyte 8200, Archive 150mb,
Tandberg 525mb, and a Wangtek 250mb drive.

1.  Do any of the above drives work correctly on AIX 3.2.x on the Model
    RS 6000/220?  If so, which one(s).

2.  Where do I find the info about setting it up in the manuals or should
    it be already set up if the device special files are there for the
    tape device, or will it require some special smit action?

Since I have several hundred DC6150 tapes about, and several 150mb drives,
I would prefer to use those, if possible.

Any insights, suggestions, etc., are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

What tape drives work on RS/6000 220 AIX 3.2.5?

Post by Timothy J. Boga » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Well, that Exabyte 8200 would be an excellent bet - that is the
guts of the older 3Gig IBM drives IIRC.  Can't say I recognize
any of the others (guess I played with a Wangtek on Linux once)
but I would be a bit surprised if you got away with most
anything SCSI with the otd (?) driver.  For tarring and such,
for mksysb and booting, I would go with the exabyte.

Installation is horrid:

1)  Pick a non-colliding device number 8-)
2)  Shut machine off
3)  Attach device
4)  Turn machine on
5)  Look for the rmt0

Yeah, good thing that Gates guy invented plug and play.  8-(

Cheers!

Quote:>I have an old surplus 220 machine running what I think is AIX 3.2.
>What kinds of tape drives work with the machine?

>I tried using the PS/2 tape board and drive from an AIX 1 box, and
>it would not recognize it at all (Cipher tape drive I think, and
>MCA interface board).  It was a long shot, but worth trying since
>that is a nice rugged drive.

>Available in my stock of tape drives are an Exabyte 8200, Archive 150mb,
>Tandberg 525mb, and a Wangtek 250mb drive.

>1.  Do any of the above drives work correctly on AIX 3.2.x on the Model
>    RS 6000/220?  If so, which one(s).

>2.  Where do I find the info about setting it up in the manuals or should
>    it be already set up if the device special files are there for the
>    tape device, or will it require some special smit action?

>Since I have several hundred DC6150 tapes about, and several 150mb drives,
>I would prefer to use those, if possible.

>Any insights, suggestions, etc., are appreciated.

>Thanks

>Bob

What tape drives work on RS/6000 220 AIX 3.2.5?

Post by Burkhard Weebe » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Well, that Exabyte 8200 would be an excellent bet - that is the
> guts of the older 3Gig IBM drives IIRC.  Can't say I recognize
> any of the others (guess I played with a Wangtek on Linux once)
> but I would be a bit surprised if you got away with most
> anything SCSI with the otd (?) driver.  For tarring and such,
> for mksysb and booting, I would go with the exabyte.

> Installation is horrid:

> 1)  Pick a non-colliding device number 8-)
> 2)  Shut machine off
> 3)  Attach device
> 4)  Turn machine on
> 5)  Look for the rmt0

> Yeah, good thing that Gates guy invented plug and play.  8-(

> Cheers!

Oh dear a M$ apostel..... -)

If your drives have SCSI bus select a free ID from 'lsdev -Csscsi' , shut
down the RS6K, plug it in (watch for the terminator !!), and start up.

If the tape drive is powered on it should be detected and installed during
boot.

After the RS6K is up look for your tape drive with 'lsdev -Csscsi' .

All your drives are quite slow (compared to a 4mm drive) but they shold all
work.

The quarter inch drives have to do a lot of mechanical spooling while my
experience it that the 8mm drives are not so reliable and tend to have
incorrectable surface errors.

--
Burkhard Weeber
viastore systems GmbH

What tape drives work on RS/6000 220 AIX 3.2.5?

Post by John R. Campbe » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, that Exabyte 8200 would be an excellent bet - that is the
>guts of the older 3Gig IBM drives IIRC.  Can't say I recognize
>any of the others (guess I played with a Wangtek on Linux once)
>but I would be a bit surprised if you got away with most
>anything SCSI with the otd (?) driver.  For tarring and such,
>for mksysb and booting, I would go with the exabyte.

        The Exabyte is your best bet anyway.

Quote:>Installation is horrid:

>1)  Pick a non-colliding device number 8-)
>2)  Shut machine off
>3)  Attach device
>4)  Turn machine on
>5)  Look for the rmt0

        Wrong!

        First find out what's attached to the SCSI controller:

                lsdev -C | grep ,

        Using the list, map the Exabyte so it won't collide with
        any other SCSI addresses shown (the digit to the left of
        the comma in the listing).

        You do *not* need to power down the machine, but you will
        need to ensure you have the right kind of SCSI cable.

        Connect the drive, perhaps terminate the SCSI bus (RS6K
        boxes can be amazingly tolerant of termination or lack
        thereof).

        Run (as root):

                cfgmgr

        which will think a while and should be silent until the
        next prompt.

        You may then perform a:

                lsdev -C | grep "^rmt"

        (The only reason I don't use extra options on the lsdev
        command directly is because I can never remember the
        full set of options-  even though I deal with AIX boxes
        constantly.  I like the grepping, too.)

        The line returned should look like:

                rmt0   Available ...

Quote:>Yeah, good thing that Gates guy invented plug and play.  8-(

        Nope.  AIX has had it for years.  Gates probably saw it
        as a "good thing" and promptly screwed it up.  Look at
        NT-  It started life as "Portable" OpenVMS and got an
        ugly brown paper bag over it's pretty face (so that
        DEC wouldn't catch on right away) and look at it now...

        :-)

--

 - As a SysAdmin, yes, I CAN read your e-mail, but I DON'T get that bored!
   Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are those of John Campbell alone and

Post by BSD Bo » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> All your drives are quite slow (compared to a 4mm drive) but they shold all
> work.

Sloooooow, yes, but very reliable.  That is why I still use them on my
dinosaur machines.

Quote:> The quarter inch drives have to do a lot of mechanical spooling while my
> experience it that the 8mm drives are not so reliable and tend to have
> incorrectable surface errors.

I find that the 1/4 inch streamers are a lot more long-term reliable.
I have had bad karma with other tapes, especially the 4mm things..
Reliability is worth more to me than speed on a dinosaur personal box.
Also, I have about 500 1/4 inch tapes I bought in surplus....(:+}}...

Thanks

Bob

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>>Well, that Exabyte 8200 would be an excellent bet - that is the
>>guts of the older 3Gig IBM drives IIRC.  Can't say I recognize
>>any of the others (guess I played with a Wangtek on Linux once)
>>but I would be a bit surprised if you got away with most
>>anything SCSI with the otd (?) driver.  For tarring and such,
>>for mksysb and booting, I would go with the exabyte.
>    The Exabyte is your best bet anyway.

The Exabyte 8200 (as packaged by ECCS) is what I'm looking to turn over
to one of our remote colleagues. Is it safe to assume the box provides a
single-ended SCSI interface? (I have both differential and single-ended.)

Quote:>>Installation is horrid:

>>1)  Pick a non-colliding device number 8-)
>>2)  Shut machine off
>>3)  Attach device
>>4)  Turn machine on
>>5)  Look for the rmt0
>    Wrong!

Do I understand from your suggested procedure that I simply need to identify
a free SCSI ID, add the device, power it up, then run cfgmgr to create the
appropriate device nodes? Or is there more?

Quote:>    First find out what's attached to the SCSI controller:
>            lsdev -C | grep ,
>    Using the list, map the Exabyte so it won't collide with
>    any other SCSI addresses shown (the digit to the left of
>    the comma in the listing).
>    You do *not* need to power down the machine, but you will
>    need to ensure you have the right kind of SCSI cable.
>    Connect the drive, perhaps terminate the SCSI bus (RS6K
>    boxes can be amazingly tolerant of termination or lack
>    thereof).
>    Run (as root):
>            cfgmgr
>    which will think a while and should be silent until the
>    next prompt.
>    You may then perform a:
>            lsdev -C | grep "^rmt"
>    (The only reason I don't use extra options on the lsdev
>    command directly is because I can never remember the
>    full set of options-  even though I deal with AIX boxes
>    constantly.  I like the grepping, too.)
>    The line returned should look like:
>            rmt0   Available ...
>>Yeah, good thing that Gates guy invented plug and play.  8-(
>    Nope.  AIX has had it for years.  Gates probably saw it
>    as a "good thing" and promptly screwed it up.  Look at
>    NT-  It started life as "Portable" OpenVMS and got an
>    ugly brown paper bag over it's pretty face (so that
>    DEC wouldn't catch on right away) and look at it now...

Actually, I think Apple's implementation was the model. And yes, we're
still wrestling with Wintel's failed implementation.

1. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

Your system does not find the tape during boot phase. For IBM tapes normally
plug them, switch them on, boot up the system and AIX automatically
configures them.

The 220 uses other SCSI cabels than your 320 are they ok. Check the SCSI ID
of your tape - maybe you have other devices using the same ID. Run
'lscfg -v' to display all devices.

frank ;-)

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. Firewall on Linux

3. RS 6000 model 220 and AIX 4.3.1 are compatible?

4. Tcpwrappers with IRIX5.3

5. Help running X on an RS/6000 220 (diskless)

6. Q: partition > 1024 cylinders

7. Does the Fujitsu M2652SA 1.7GB drive work on a RS/6000 (AIX 3.2.0) ?

8. phantom who

9. Sound playback capability for RS 6000/520 and 220?

10. FS: RS/6000 220, 6017 monitors

11. Memory for RS/6000 220

12. Compatible memory for RS/6000 7011/220

13. giving away RS/6000 220