PROBLEM : 10/100MB Ethernet MC Adapter

Post by Morris M M L » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Dear expertise,

Recently, our laboratory installed three 10/100Mb Ethernet MC Adapter
in RS/6000 G30+ and 397 all running AIX 4.2.1.

As the media speed was set to 10Mbit/s half duplex, it worked fine with
G30+ as a file server and 397 as client workstation mounting file from
G30+.   As the speed of either of them set to 100Mbit/s full duplex,
the system start to have problem copying file from one of the mounted
file system to another in the slower machine.  And all programs mounted
in the slower machines cannot run with timeout connection error.

What's wrong with the network card?

I just hear some rumour from experienced network technician that the
above Ethernet MC Adapter has some problem and suggest us to change
to 3Com.  But G30+ only had MicroChannel Bus and we had no choice at all.

Any idea is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

--
Morris Law
Assistant Computer Officer    Address : 224 Waterloo Road, KLN, Hong Kong

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Dear expertise,

: Recently, our laboratory installed three 10/100Mb Ethernet MC Adapter
: in RS/6000 G30+ and 397 all running AIX 4.2.1.

: As the media speed was set to 10Mbit/s half duplex, it worked fine with
: G30+ as a file server and 397 as client workstation mounting file from
: G30+.   As the speed of either of them set to 100Mbit/s full duplex,
: the system start to have problem copying file from one of the mounted
: file system to another in the slower machine.  And all programs mounted
: in the slower machines cannot run with timeout connection error.

: What's wrong with the network card?

It may not be a problem with the network card but with the network or
the device driver for this card. Make sure that you have the latest
device driver from IBM. They seem to release an new one every couple
of months.

Are your Hubs in your network capable of full-duplex 100 Mbits? Is all
of your cabling 10 BaseT Cat 5 and certified with a scanner? At 100 Mbit
cabling is critical.
--
Regards,
Jerry M.

Post by Morris M M L » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[...]

The IBM engineer help me to fix the card and installed device driver given
in the package.  I don't think it is new because it is in 4.1.5 level.
However, the engineer insisted that this is the most update driver.
Does anyone has some pointer to new device driver for the Network card?

: Are your Hubs in your network capable of full-duplex 100 Mbits? Is all
: of your cabling 10 BaseT Cat 5 and certified with a scanner? At 100 Mbit
: cabling is critical.

The officer in the computer centre assure that the network is 100MBits full
-duplex capable and all cable are of 10BaseT Cat 5 standard.  Still, it only
work well with 100MBit machine but not for those 10MBit one.
Even the computer centre turns to 3Com PCI network card rather than MC
adapter for the same reason.

Any idea?

--
Morris Law
Assistant Computer Officer    Address : 224 Waterloo Road, KLN, Hong Kong
Science Faculty               Tel : (852) 23395909   Fax : (852) 23388014
Hong Kong Baptist University  WWW : http://www.sci.hkbu.edu.hk/~morris

PROBLEM : 10/100MB Ethernet MC Adapter

Post by Ross Barke » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I Bought 4 MC 3 com adapters from here:

http://repc.com/seattle.html

New in the box, maybe they have some more, address your mail to Chris

Ross

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: : It may not be a problem with the network card but with the network or
: : the device driver for this card. Make sure that you have the latest
: : device driver from IBM. They seem to release an new one every couple
: : of months.

: The IBM engineer help me to fix the card and installed device driver given
: in the package.  I don't think it is new because it is in 4.1.5 level.
: However, the engineer insisted that this is the most update driver.
: Does anyone has some pointer to new device driver for the Network card?

The device driver that is shipped with the card is definitely not the
latest level. The latest drivers are available from your local IBM
AIX Support people.  You can try downloading one from fixdist.

http://www.austin.ibm.com

We had one of the microchannel 10/100 ethernet cards develop a problem
that would  cause packet errors. It would even fail doing a ping to
another system on the network - an extended ping sequence would lose 25%
of the packets.

--
Regards,
Jerry M.
Seen on a Tee Shirt, "Never GREP a YACC by the INODE".

PROBLEM : 10/100MB Ethernet MC Adapter

Post by Remko Duppe » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>As the media speed was set to 10Mbit/s half duplex, it worked fine with
>G30+ as a file server and 397 as client workstation mounting file from
>G30+.   As the speed of either of them set to 100Mbit/s full duplex,
>the system start to have problem copying file from one of the mounted
>file system to another in the slower machine.  And all programs mounted
>in the slower machines cannot run with timeout connection error.

>What's wrong with the network card?

What are the settings of your switch, if this is set to autosensing I would
set it to fixed full duplex.

we had the same problems connecting our R40 ( a MCA machine ) and S70
( PCI ) to our cisco switch,
we just set all the equipment to 100Mb full duplex and everything now works
just fine,.

IMHO autosensing is totaly useless.

Remko

P.S. the card for the S70 was a standard 100 Mb 3com card, and while I
haven't seen the MCA card my bet is that that will be an 3Com originally
too.

Post by Morris M M L » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: >As the media speed was set to 10Mbit/s half duplex, it worked fine with
: >G30+ as a file server and 397 as client workstation mounting file from
: >G30+.   As the speed of either of them set to 100Mbit/s full duplex,
: >the system start to have problem copying file from one of the mounted
: >file system to another in the slower machine.  And all programs mounted
: >in the slower machines cannot run with timeout connection error.
: >
: >What's wrong with the network card?
: >

: What are the settings of your switch, if this is set to autosensing I would
: set it to fixed full duplex.

The switch is fixed to 100MB full-duplex.  Autosensing is NOT ALLOWED.

: we had the same problems connecting our R40 ( a MCA machine ) and S70
: ( PCI ) to our cisco switch,
: we just set all the equipment to 100Mb full duplex and everything now works
: just fine,.

However, the cards I bought is an IBM 10/100Mb Ethernet MC adapter.
I suspect it is of Intel EtherExpress but NOT 3COM.

Any comments?

--

Post by Morris M M L » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: : : Dear expertise,

: : : Recently, our laboratory installed three 10/100Mb Ethernet MC Adapter
: : : in RS/6000 G30+ and 397 all running AIX 4.2.1.

: : : As the media speed was set to 10Mbit/s half duplex, it worked fine with
: : : G30+ as a file server and 397 as client workstation mounting file from
: : : G30+.   As the speed of either of them set to 100Mbit/s full duplex,
: : : the system start to have problem copying file from one of the mounted
: : : file system to another in the slower machine.  And all programs mounted
: : : in the slower machines cannot run with timeout connection error.

: : : What's wrong with the network card?

A new 43P-260 box come with 10/100 PCI network card was installed.  The
network card was set to be 100Mb full-duplex and work without error as a
client workstation mounting the file server (10Mb half).

Perhaps, I can conclude that there is some problem relating to IBM 10/100Mb
MC adapter.

Do you have any similar experience?  Please share.

Thank you.

--
Morris Law
Assistant Computer Officer    Address : 224 Waterloo Road, KLN, Hong Kong
Science Faculty               Tel : (852) 23395909   Fax : (852) 23388014
Hong Kong Baptist University  WWW : http://www.sci.hkbu.edu.hk/~morris

1. Problems running 3COM 3C59X 10/100Mb ethernet card

Last week I installed a 3com 3C59X 10/100 Mb ethernet
card in one of the compaq proliant 1000 servers running
SCO UNIX 3.2.4.2 and SCO TCP/IP 1.2.1 with NET 382E
installed.
I have downloaded the latest lli-driver from the 3com
ftp-site and also the latest compaq ROM-PACK for the
proliant 1000.
After installing, configuring and rebooting the system,
it works fine for about 1 minute.
Disabling the bus-mastering gave some result, it works
now for 5-10 minutes, but I think this should work
better.

What I found from the llistat was that there was an
"error due to Lost Carrier"

Is there anyone who is also running a 3COM 3C59x card ??

Thanks for any reply.

----------------------
Freerk J. Bosscha

2. cgi sometimes doesn't work

3. Need Help for 3Com Fast EtherLink XL PCI 10/100Mb Adapter (3C905)

4. Beginners script question

5. Network adapter compatability HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

6. : SiS6205 VGA chipset : driver for Linux and X ?

7. IBM 4port 10/100mb ethernet card

8. HELP: UNIX BOOTIG PROBLEM!

9. NE2000 PCI 10/100Mb ethernet interface card

10. how to configure 100MB fast Ethernet as 10 MB

11. 10/100Mb ethernet on SS1000?

12. Ethernet card 10/100Mb modes

13. AIX v4.2 10/100 Ethernet Driver or 10 Ethernet card