WHAT are the best terminal-options for serial console ???

WHAT are the best terminal-options for serial console ???

Post by Reiko Ullma » Fri, 23 May 2003 04:18:32

hi,

i can't find the appropriate options for my (windows-)terminal-program
to conigure my rs6000. For example i want to use SMIT TCPIP but i
can't because i must "use the cursor-keys and enter values".
Is there anyone who knows, what option i need to use the cursor-keys
in an menu like smit ???

Thanks for all

WHAT are the best terminal-options for serial console ???

Post by The Threaten » Fri, 23 May 2003 05:04:17

Quote:>i can't find the appropriate options for my (windows-)terminal-program
>to conigure my rs6000. For example i want to use SMIT TCPIP but i
>can't because i must "use the cursor-keys and enter values".
>Is there anyone who knows, what option i need to use the cursor-keys
>in an menu like smit ???

I find setting Windows Hyperterminal to vt100 to be fairly workable.
Alternatively there are lots of other terminal emulators out there that work
even better. I use Alphacom from Omnicrom, which has an excellent IBM3151
setting.

Post by Steve Nottingh » Fri, 23 May 2003 22:22:19

> >i can't find the appropriate options for my (windows-)terminal-program
> >to conigure my rs6000. For example i want to use SMIT TCPIP but i
> >can't because i must "use the cursor-keys and enter values".
> >Is there anyone who knows, what option i need to use the cursor-keys
> >in an menu like smit ???

> I find setting Windows Hyperterminal to vt100 to be fairly workable.
> Alternatively there are lots of other terminal emulators out there that work
> even better. I use Alphacom from Omnicrom, which has an excellent IBM3151
> setting.

I sometimes have had to modify the the characteristics to allow PC's
to use the serial port correctly, just add clocal to the STTY
attributes for RUN time and LOGIN:
  STTY attributes for RUN time
<,imaxbel,iexten,clocal] +
  STTY attributes for LOGIN
[cread,echoe,cs8,clocal>

And export the TERM to vt100.

Steve

1. No boot with serial port console and console terminal off

Folks;

I suspect this is the way that things are supposed to be, but I figure
that I'll ask, anyway.  Warning-- ramble ahead.

connection.  Since I'm short of desk space, I compiled the kernel with
the COMCONSOLE option set, and set tty com0 in /etc/boot.conf.  This
way, I can see what's happening on boot (when I need to), and yet don't
need to have an extra monitor and keyboard on my desk.

The power finally went the other day, and of course, the box that I use
for OpenBSD doesn't automatically turn on when the power is restored.
My wife called me at the office, and I had her toggle the power on the
firewall box.  Unfortunately, it didn't boot, much to my wife's
distress.

When I got home, I turned on the machine that has the other end of the
console serial cable, fired up kermit, opened the com0, and low and
behold, the loader continued to boot the OpenBSD machine.  It doesn't
boot unless the console is active, and setting the DTE (DCE?) line on
the serial port.  I had never noticed this before, since the only time
I've rebooted the machine was after recompiling the kernel, and (of
course) I had the console terminal up at the time to make sure that the
boot messages actually went where I wanted them to.

I have a sinking feeling that it is supposed to be this way-- no
conaole, no boot.  [I have visions in my head of line-printer terminals
logging all the console messages to hardcopy, with paper scrolling onto
the floor...]  However, I'm hoping that one of you gurus can tell me
about some obscure option that I can set that will let the machine boot
with COMCONSOLE and the boot tty as com0 _without_ requiring the console
to actually be powered up.

Else, I'm going to have to short some wires on the serial cable when I
jumper the power switch to have the machine power up after a power
failure.

                                TIA,
                                Henry

2. Soundblaster 16 device driver support

3. x86: best option for 3+ serial ports?

4. How to install the ELF XFree386 files?

5. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

6. Screwed-up partition table

7. Best multiport serial card for terminal server

8. virus check for solaris

9. serial terminal as console?

10. Installation from serial console/terminal

11. Multiple consoles from serial terminal?

12. Redhat 7.1 - Using an ADDS serial terminal as console during boot

13. Serial console terminal type