SCSI Hard Disk Microcode update without using the diskette drive!

SCSI Hard Disk Microcode update without using the diskette drive!

Post by Mats Sj?bl » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:40:47

Hi guys!

Is there a method to update the microcode on rootvg SCSI disks without
using an diskette to store the microcodes on?
In the installation guide there is only a description where you copy
files to /etc/microcodes, then down to an diskette (with full path),
then booting up in single user mode an loading the microcodes from the
diskette drive.

But we dont have any diskette drive on our H80 ... do we have to buy
one to fix this!

rootvg is mirrored so I can work with one free disk and do the
procedure twice.
... or maybe I can use the tape drive instead .. ?

Anyone knows how to solve this problem in a safe way .... ?

Regards
Mats Sj?blom
GIGA Consulting, Stockholm

Post by Leigh Brow » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:21:20

> Is there a method to update the microcode on rootvg SCSI disks without
> using an diskette to store the microcodes on?
> In the installation guide there is only a description where you copy
> files to /etc/microcodes, then down to an diskette (with full path),
> then booting up in single user mode an loading the microcodes from the
> diskette drive.

> But we dont have any diskette drive on our H80 ... do we have to buy
> one to fix this!

Apologies if you have already checked this, but the floppy drive on the
H80 is behind the front grill - you have to remove the grill in order to
use it.

SCSI Hard Disk Microcode update without using the diskette drive!

Post by Mats Sj?bl » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:45:02

Had to check for floppy drive .. but this server was ordered without
it!!!

Well ... I solved the problem myself:

- Unmirrored hdisk 0 from rootvg
- removed hdisk 0 from rootvg
- microcoded the disk
- mirrored hdisk0 with rootvg again

... same procedure with hdisk1 ...

If you have a spare disk it safer to make 3 copies on rootvg, then
microcode as above!

//mats

1. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

Hello, dear Internet friends !!

Anyone can tell me if there is any utility to lock the bad sectors for
the ext2fs under Linux without re-initiating the harddisk.

I used "fsck /dev/hdaX" to fix the filesystem but it could not lock
the physical bad-sectors. When I wrote something to hit the bad
sector, my Linux Panic could get Kernel Panic due to accessing
some bad sectors. "fsck" or "exfsck" cannot fix them and it can
only recover the damaged file system only (NOT the bad sectors).
Can you tell me how to do ?

Thanks for your creat help !!!

Best Regards. Louie

2. help !!about jakarta-tomcat-connectors-x.x.x/webapp

3. SCSI Microcode Diskette (long post)

4. Trouble with SCSI tape.

5. RISC System/6000 SCSI MICROCODE DISKETTE PROBLEMS!

6. nbt smb errors

7. SCSI disk drive geometry limits hard disk choices?

8. Please HELP: Linux/Win95 ethernet no workie!

9. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

10. Problems using cdrecord to scsi cdwriter from scsi hard drive

11. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

12. Update of DISK microcode on B80

13. Notice to IBM customers - do NOT install SCSI microcode update