How must I prep a new disk to restore with TAR?

How must I prep a new disk to restore with TAR?

Post by Jerry Case » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00



Hello:

I am trying to do a disaster recovery of a 3.2.5 system using a mksysb tape
created by a NT/AIX consultant that flow the cope (MIA).  All I know about
AIX is what I have been reading online for the last 48 hours (no sleep).  I
am trying to restore the system to a new hard drive, but I may be using the
correct process as it keeps failing.

1.  Added a SCSI drive to the system
2.  Use the "system master" tape to boot system in service mode
3.  When prompted by Install menu I select "restore from SMIT or mksysb
backup"
4.  System starts to go through loading from tape but fails with the
following errors

0516-050    lcreatevg     Not enough descriptor area left in this volume
group

Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group

0516-862    Unable to create volume group.

The install process has encountered the following error
: MKVG failed with return code 1

I be the first to admit that I do not know scratch abou this stuff and even
though I am reading about all this greate commands to prep the disk and
volume, I cannot use any of them when I shell out the the RAM drive mounted
when I boot from tape.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLE APPRECIATED

 
 
 

How must I prep a new disk to restore with TAR?

Post by Felix Mathai » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> Hello:

> I am trying to do a disaster recovery of a 3.2.5 system using a mksysb tape
> created by a NT/AIX consultant that flow the cope (MIA).  All I know about
> AIX is what I have been reading online for the last 48 hours (no sleep).  I
> am trying to restore the system to a new hard drive, but I may be using the
> correct process as it keeps failing.

> 1.  Added a SCSI drive to the system
> 2.  Use the "system master" tape to boot system in service mode
> 3.  When prompted by Install menu I select "restore from SMIT or mksysb
> backup"
> 4.  System starts to go through loading from tape but fails with the
> following errors

> 0516-050    lcreatevg     Not enough descriptor area left in this volume
> group

> Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group

> 0516-862    Unable to create volume group.

> The install process has encountered the following error
> : MKVG failed with return code 1

> I be the first to admit that I do not know scratch abou this stuff and even
> though I am reading about all this greate commands to prep the disk and
> volume, I cannot use any of them when I shell out the the RAM drive mounted
> when I boot from tape.

> ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLE APPRECIATED

It seems that the disk you try to install to is too small for the system
backup taken. try a bigger disk.

 
 
 

How must I prep a new disk to restore with TAR?

Post by Jerry Case » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Thanks Felix.  However the disk that was in the machine prior to the failure
was only 2 GIG.  This disk is 4.5 GIG.  Someone else posted a message that
indicated that a 4.5 GIG disk was to big for AIX 3.2.5 to mksysb to.  Any
other suggestions?  Thanks



>> Hello:

>> I am trying to do a disaster recovery of a 3.2.5 system using a mksysb
tape
>> created by a NT/AIX consultant that flow the cope (MIA).  All I know
about
>> AIX is what I have been reading online for the last 48 hours (no sleep).
I
>> am trying to restore the system to a new hard drive, but I may be using
the
>> correct process as it keeps failing.

>> 1.  Added a SCSI drive to the system
>> 2.  Use the "system master" tape to boot system in service mode
>> 3.  When prompted by Install menu I select "restore from SMIT or mksysb
>> backup"
>> 4.  System starts to go through loading from tape but fails with the
>> following errors

>> 0516-050    lcreatevg     Not enough descriptor area left in this volume
>> group

>> Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group

>> 0516-862    Unable to create volume group.

>> The install process has encountered the following error
>> : MKVG failed with return code 1

>> I be the first to admit that I do not know scratch abou this stuff and
even
>> though I am reading about all this greate commands to prep the disk and
>> volume, I cannot use any of them when I shell out the the RAM drive
mounted
>> when I boot from tape.

>> ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLE APPRECIATED

>It seems that the disk you try to install to is too small for the system
>backup taken. try a bigger disk.

 
 
 

How must I prep a new disk to restore with TAR?

Post by Joerg Brueh » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Hi Jerry !

The information is insufficient: Do you want to
a) restore the basic OD ('rootvg') to a single new disk OR
b) restore something to several disks ?

Jerry Casey schrieb:

Quote:

> Thanks Felix.  However the disk that was in the machine prior to the failure
> was only 2 GIG.  This disk is 4.5 GIG.  Someone else posted a message that
> indicated that a 4.5 GIG disk was to big for AIX 3.2.5 to mksysb to.

There is a limit in AIX that any single disk can not have more than
1016 physical partitions. The consequence is that the larger the
disk, the larger the partitions must be - the default is 4 MB,
but you can also have them 8 MB, 16 MB, ...
1016 partitions of 4 MB each is slightly less than 4 GB, so
a 4 MB partition size can not be used on a 4.5 GB disk.


> ((...))
> >It seems that the disk you try to install to is too small for the system
> >backup taken. try a bigger disk.

NO !  Look at the message text again: The disk is too large,
with the current partition size you would exceed the 1016 limit.

If you restore to a single disk, you have two choices:
a) Find a disk slightly smaller than 4 GB,
b) Increase the partition size of the restore to 8 MB.
   For AIX 4, you might try the way described in
   http://service.boulder.ibm.com/rs6k/techdocs/91745667913562.html
   but for AIX 3 I do not know whether that works.

If you restore to multiple disks, you have to set the partition
size large enough that you do not exceed the 1016 limit on
your largest disk. So it is not possible to start with a 4 MB
size on a small disk and then add a disk larger than 4 GB to that
volume group.

Regards,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

 
 
 

1. Help: Restoring TAR'd Backup to New Drive

Since getting my RH8 install "where I want it", I've been very concerned
with the ability (or in my case, my *inability*) to successfully restore
it to a new drive. I have been creating TAR'd backups of everything
except /mnt and /proc. My questions are:

1) To what extent to I have to install RH8 on the other drive?

2) Can I boot to a boot floppy, create a file system, and restore
everything in the file to the new drive? If so, how do I mount the drive
that contains the backup file, when I have no fstab?  How do I size the
partitions? The boot floppy I made for RH8 only seems to want to boot
the image from the hard drive.  Are there utilities on there as well?

I have tried other alternatives, such as mkcdrec, and mondo, but I've
had problems with both. I've tried Norton Ghost, but it complains about
a faulty sector and just aborts. In a nutshell, before I move to RH full
time, as I am *very* inclined to do, I need to know that I can get it
back if necessary.

Thanks for whatever help you can throw my way.

Mark
--

** "That's quite a dress you almost have on." -- Gene Kelly

2. cp

3. how to restore a tar file not from tape but disk?

4. upgrade CPU

5. tar vs. dump/restore, why does everybody seem to use tar?

6. how can i let win95 to connect samba on linux?????

7. Dump and restore to a new disk

8. How to create a package that will run a script during pkgadd

9. restore dumps to new disk?

10. formating mac disk in prep for future Linux?

11. Try to restore to a 4GB disk from original 2X400MB disks, problems

12. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

13. Wanted: rcmd host tar x_?_vqf file.tar file1 ... fileN | tar xvf -