Backup problems with Legato Networker

Post by GeorgeHu » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:56:59

Good morning,

We have been fighting a tape error problem for several weeks and any
suggestions would be highly appreciated. We run backups for approximately 100
clients, UNIX/NT/Oracle databases and have no problems with the actual backups
themselves. We clone the data daily and send it off site. During the cloning
operation we receive "Connection timeout" errors in our log followed by several
dozen "IO Error" messages. This is reported as a "SCSI_ERR10" in the AIX error
report on the adapter connected to the external tape. We have had IBM run
diagnostics on the server and Storagetek check out their drives and jukebox
several times looking for termination problems etc.

Our configuration:
Backup server - IBM H50 AIX 4.3.2-02.
Tape Drives -  6 Quatum DLT7000 with firmware v95
Jukebox - Storagetek 9710.
Enterprise backup software - Legato Networker 5.5.1-001.

The problem does not appear to be isolated to a drive and appears on new and
old media (DLT4 tapes). Has any one had a similar problem?

Regards, George Hughes

Backup problems with Legato Networker

Post by sp2_administrato » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:02:01

Not with cloning, but Ive seen similar errors while trying to start a
backup when one is already running.. Are you trying to clone several
tapes at the same time? Try spacing them out...

Quote:> Good morning,

> We have been fighting a tape error problem for several weeks and any
> suggestions would be highly appreciated. We run backups for
approximately 100
> clients, UNIX/NT/Oracle databases and have no problems with the actual
backups
> themselves. We clone the data daily and send it off site. During the
cloning
> operation we receive "Connection timeout" errors in our log followed
by several
> dozen "IO Error" messages. This is reported as a "SCSI_ERR10" in the
AIX error
> report on the adapter connected to the external tape. We have had IBM
run
> diagnostics on the server and Storagetek check out their drives and
jukebox
> several times looking for termination problems etc.

> Our configuration:
> Backup server - IBM H50 AIX 4.3.2-02.
> Tape Drives -  6 Quatum DLT7000 with firmware v95
> Jukebox - Storagetek 9710.
> Enterprise backup software - Legato Networker 5.5.1-001.

> The problem does not appear to be isolated to a drive and appears on
new and
> old media (DLT4 tapes). Has any one had a similar problem?

> Regards, George Hughes

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Backup problems with Legato Networker

Post by Allan Morris » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:19:41

Yeah, if the blocksize for the tape is not set to zero for variable the
timing can be way off.

> Not with cloning, but Ive seen similar errors while trying to start a
> backup when one is already running.. Are you trying to clone several
> tapes at the same time? Try spacing them out...

> > Good morning,

> > We have been fighting a tape error problem for several weeks and any
> > suggestions would be highly appreciated. We run backups for
> approximately 100
> > clients, UNIX/NT/Oracle databases and have no problems with the actual
> backups
> > themselves. We clone the data daily and send it off site. During the
> cloning
> > operation we receive "Connection timeout" errors in our log followed
> by several
> > dozen "IO Error" messages. This is reported as a "SCSI_ERR10" in the
> AIX error
> > report on the adapter connected to the external tape. We have had IBM
> run
> > diagnostics on the server and Storagetek check out their drives and
> jukebox
> > several times looking for termination problems etc.

> > Our configuration:
> > Backup server - IBM H50 AIX 4.3.2-02.
> > Tape Drives -  6 Quatum DLT7000 with firmware v95
> > Jukebox - Storagetek 9710.
> > Enterprise backup software - Legato Networker 5.5.1-001.

> > The problem does not appear to be isolated to a drive and appears on
> new and
> > old media (DLT4 tapes). Has any one had a similar problem?

> > Regards, George Hughes

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. Solstice Backup/Legato Networker problem : need label stored on tape, not jukebox

Hello all,

Maybe it is a basic question, and possibly answered before, but does
anyone know how to read tapelabels stored on the DLT-tape itself when
no barcode label has been put on the tape.

I know from trial by error that in a label operation
( for example: # nsrjb -L -S <slot number> -b "<pool name>" )
when you use a used tape with a new label, it somehow verifies the
label with the label stored on the tape itself ( it returns that label
and asks for an overwrite confirmation )

I don't need to read any other info from the tape, although out of
curiosity any extra information i can get ( from just the tape ) from
the commandline could be interesting:
- Is there a connection with the networker database when the above
command is carried out ?
- Is there any additional info to get from just the media itself

I ask this because some barcode labels in our backup pools are
missing, and i need to verify that these tapes can be recycled or need
to be relabeled with their former barcode label numbers.

The hardware concerned : Sun E420, Storedge L20 jukebox and
Solstice/Legato.

All if indeed any info is appreciated.

2. cannot ftp after setting nis

3. Legato Networker (Soltice Backup) Question

4. A system setup that works, no problems

5. Firewall1 and Solstice Backup (Legato Networker)

6. samba

7. Is Legato Networker good for unix backups to NT machine?

8. book reviews: sendmail, Web Site Stats, UNIX Webmaster Bible, Software Developer's Internet Directory

9. Legato Networker-Adding a backup server to a client installation.

10. How to designate full backup to specif volume using Legato Networker?

11. Legato Networker (Soltice Backup)

12. (Legato) Networker Backup - memory issue?

13. legato networker backup rotation scheme