Problem : can't get alternate MAC address to work

Problem : can't get alternate MAC address to work

Post by Iain Robert » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have an SP High node running AIX 4.1.5 with two token ring adapters.
The adapters are type 8-S.

tr0 is the live adapter and tr1 is a backup.  Should tr0 fail, I want to
transfer the MAC address to tr1 as well as the IP address.

However, I've got stuck on the first step : giving tr0 an alternate MAC
address.  I set the MAC address with the command
 chdev -l tok0 -a use_alt_addr=yes -a alt_addr='0x0001DEADBEEF'

 This command is successful.  However, when I try to bring the interface
back up with the command 'ifconfig tr0 up' I get the following error :
'0821-510 ifconfig : error calling entry point for /usr/lib/drivers/if_tr
- cannot establish a connection to a remote service'.

I've looked up this error in info and it gives several possible reasons
(e.g. root filesystem full, adapter added after IPL) none of which apply
in this case.  When I remove the alternative MAC address, the adapter
comes up fine.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? (by email please)

Iain Roberts

http://www.cix.co.uk/~iainandcarol

Problem : can't get alternate MAC address to work

Post by Simon Marches » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Did you quiesce the device first? For example "ifconfig tr0 down" then "rmdev
-l tr0". I guess you must have if the "chdev" worked but I though I'd check.
Last point to check is that your address (0x0001DEADBEEF) is illegal. I can't
remember the ranges allowed off hand, but try 0x4000DEADBEEF or similar.

> I have an SP High node running AIX 4.1.5 with two token ring adapters.
> The adapters are type 8-S.

> tr0 is the live adapter and tr1 is a backup.  Should tr0 fail, I want to
> transfer the MAC address to tr1 as well as the IP address.

> However, I've got stuck on the first step : giving tr0 an alternate MAC
> address.  I set the MAC address with the command
>  chdev -l tok0 -a use_alt_addr=yes -a alt_addr='0x0001DEADBEEF'

>  This command is successful.  However, when I try to bring the interface
> back up with the command 'ifconfig tr0 up' I get the following error :
> '0821-510 ifconfig : error calling entry point for /usr/lib/drivers/if_tr
> - cannot establish a connection to a remote service'.

> I've looked up this error in info and it gives several possible reasons
> (e.g. root filesystem full, adapter added after IPL) none of which apply
> in this case.  When I remove the alternative MAC address, the adapter
> comes up fine.

> Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? (by email please)

> Iain Roberts

> http://www.cix.co.uk/~iainandcarol

1. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

Hi.

I was trying to retrieve 'mac address' via composing small program.

First, I used 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' (<- Comment of this is '/*ethenet
address*/'.)
 with 'iotcl' and 'CSIOCGIFCONF'.
As(?) u know, I couldn't retrieve 'mac address'.
Then, I used 'arpreq.arp_ha'. I could get 'mac address'.
But, this code, using 'arpreq.arp_ha', is not working correctly in
Linux.
Ok,ok, I see. Linux is not Unix. :)

here is the point. I'm so curious what is diffrence of 'ethenet
address' from 'mac address'.

Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?
What is diffrence of 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac address'?

Your kind explaination or pointing out some useful URL will give BIG
HELP to me.

Thanks.

2. Moving raid-0 to raid-1

3. Using alternate MAC address in LINUX

4. Help with new domain name..

5. Problems getting MAC address of network card

6. Check var doesn't contain letters??

7. PXE boot with twin ethernet adapters: which MAC address gets transmitted?

8. Question about nice

9. getting IP addr from MAC address.

10. getting mac address in linux c programming?

11. Getting MAC address

12. Getting MAC address thru SCO

13. Netatalk : getting mac address from net/node Appletak number