Lost root password on model 250 3.2.5

Post by nosp.. » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

AIX people;

    My boss called and said that we may have lost our root password on
our model 250 running 3.2.5. We are trying to locate the person who may
have changed it, but in the meantime, how does the following sound for a
fix (machine presently running in mulit-user mode) Is there something
that needs to be done before turning the key?:

1. Key to service mode
2. Boot to installation media
3. Select the Maintenance shell feature.
4. Do a getrootfs hdisk0 (root is on hdisk0)
5. Issue a 'passwd root' and change the password
6. Reboot in multi user mode.

Would this work? Please advise here...all admins would like to know...

Thanks in Advance,

Dennis

Lost root password on model 250 3.2.5

Post by Mark J Hodg » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

This is almost preficely what I would do..  Take a look at the few minor
mods.

    Mark

> AIX people;

>     My boss called and said that we may have lost our root password on
> our model 250 running 3.2.5. We are trying to locate the person who may
> have changed it, but in the meantime, how does the following sound for a
> fix (machine presently running in mulit-user mode) Is there something
> that needs to be done before turning the key?:

> 1. Key to service mode
> 2. Boot to installation media
> 3. Select the Maintenance shell feature.
> 4. Do a getrootfs hdisk0 (root is on hdisk0)

TERM=<whatever>
export TERM

vi /etc/security/passwd

remove roots encrypted password

save file

sync;sync;sync

shutdown -F

Reboot in normal/multiuser mode

Quote:> 5. Issue a 'passwd root' and change the password
> 6. Reboot in multi user mode.

> Would this work? Please advise here...all admins would like to know...

> Thanks in Advance,

> Dennis

1. lost key to Model 250

Hello All,

I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at my new
employer.  It's got AIX 3.2 on it that I want to blow away and install 4.x.

The problem is that nobody can find the key for it.  The lock is in 'normal'
position right now, as you can probably infer.

In order to install a whole new OS, the lock has to be in 'service' position
to be able boot from the new AIX CD.  Is there anyway I can install a new OS
without the key?  Without the key, I can't even open the case to hot wire
the service position, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Corey Wirun

2. Need help with setting up Netscape with Mediaone.

3. disable password aging & lost of root password on SCO Unixware 2.1.2

4. Reconfigurations using Solaris 2.5

5. RS/6000 Model 250 Manuals

6. quota and kernel 1.7.99?

7. how do I force a Model 250 open?

8. mosaic+term? and getting my old lp to work

9. Model 250 memory configurations

10. 4.3 on a Model 250

11. Linux on IBM 7011 - Model 250

12. PPC 7011 Model 250 - any chances ?