Info: Working third party PCI Cards under AIX

Info: Working third party PCI Cards under AIX

Post by Martin Etteldor » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:01:42

Hi,

        as I got my Matrox Millenium to work nicely with AIX i stuffed some
more PCI Cards into my Bull. So far, these work flawlessy:

- NCR 53C825 Wide/Ultra (68 Pin) SCSI Controller
- NCR 53C825 Ultra (50 Pin) SCSI Controller
- DIGITAL 10 MBit Ethernet Card with DIGITAL 21041-AA Chipset
- DIGITAL 100 MBit Ethernet Card with DIGITAL 21141-AA Chipset
  (ann.: DEC Chipset based Ethernet Cards by other Vendors do _not_ work,
         at least the ones I tested.)

I have a few more to check out. That old S3 Graphics Card lying around
here seems to be a good candidate and that 4-Port 100 MBit Ethernet Card
from Cogent/Adaptec looks promising, too -- but we'll see.
Maybe this helps out some people who are complaining about that vastly ex-
pensive IBM stuff.

More to come next weekend...

BTW: This is the same setup as last time: Bull Estrella 300 with AIX 4.3.2
on the latest Maintenance-Level (as of 11/19/2001).

                        Martin.

--
http://gruftie.net/

Info: Working third party PCI Cards under AIX

Post by Walter Harm » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:38:33

This sounds interessting. do you have pagepage for this ?

        walter

Quote:>    as I got my Matrox Millenium to work nicely with AIX i stuffed some
>more PCI Cards into my Bull. So far, these work flawlessy:
>- NCR 53C825 Wide/Ultra (68 Pin) SCSI Controller
>- NCR 53C825 Ultra (50 Pin) SCSI Controller
>- DIGITAL 10 MBit Ethernet Card with DIGITAL 21041-AA Chipset
>- DIGITAL 100 MBit Ethernet Card with DIGITAL 21141-AA Chipset
>  (ann.: DEC Chipset based Ethernet Cards by other Vendors do _not_ work,
>     at least the ones I tested.)
>I have a few more to check out. That old S3 Graphics Card lying around
>here seems to be a good candidate and that 4-Port 100 MBit Ethernet Card
>from Cogent/Adaptec looks promising, too -- but we'll see.
>Maybe this helps out some people who are complaining about that vastly ex-
>pensive IBM stuff.
>More to come next weekend...
>BTW: This is the same setup as last time: Bull Estrella 300 with AIX 4.3.2
>on the latest Maintenance-Level (as of 11/19/2001).

>                    Martin.
>--
>http://gruftie.net/

Info: Working third party PCI Cards under AIX

Post by Martin Etteldor » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 06:24:37

Hello Walter,

> This sounds interessting. do you have pagepage for this ?

What's a pagepage ?-)
If you mean homepage -- not yet, but I'm setting one online as soon as I
have tested all my cards.
BTW: If someone wants to contribute (preferrably here in Germany) a cheap
IBM RS/6000 with PCI-Bus, I'd be glad to take it. A 40P (I'd take it even
without Memory/Disk) or something similar (PPC601) would be sufficient to
do this testing stuff.
As already told, at the moment I'm doing this on a Bull Estrella which came
with a special Version of AIX4.32. Maybe there are device drivers which are
missing on a stock IBM AIX.

                Martin.
--
http://gruftie.net/

1. Third Party PCI cards for Solaris/Sparc

Can you use common third party PCI cards such as Intel/3Com Fast
ethernet cards, Adaptec SCSI cards etc with Solaris running on Sparc
Architecture?

Specifically an Enterprise 5S server with Solaris 2.6.

I've seen a Hardware compatibility list for Solaris/Intel but not for
Sparc; pointers  would be appreciated.

Cheers
David

--
--------------------------
David Lloyd

2. Red Hat Picasso Linux (Kernel 1.2.13) - Want to make a.out in GCC

3. Third party 3D PCI cards for UltraSparc 5?

4. NAT, Sunscreen 3.1 Lite and Modem Sharing

5. PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY

6. What is nobody or nogroup?

7. Third Party Print Spooler Utilities for Solaris 2.x Info needed

8. Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI supported?

9. PS2 third party three button mice?

10. apache 2.0.39 core dumps on AIX 4.3.3 with third party DSOs (long)

11. 3rd Party Graphics Card & AIX - It works (somehow ;-)

12. AIX PS/2 and third party disks

13. any third party network card needed