Writing to address space with /proc (AIX 5.1)

Writing to address space with /proc (AIX 5.1)

Post by Andrew Berna » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 05:54:30

I'm working on porting my project over to AIX 5.1 (from 4.x). One of
the things that we need to be able to do is to place breakpoints in
shared libraries. With AIX 4.3 and ptrace it was possible to write to
a process' address space with ptrace -- when the tool attached a copy
of the shared library segment was made, and it was writeable.

However, it doesn't appear that this works the same way with the /proc
interface. While I can write anywhere in the program's text or data
space with /proc/<pid>/as, I get errors if I try and write to a shared
library's space.

Is there a way to write to a shared library with 5.1?

Thanks,
Drew

--
Drew Bernat