AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1 with RAN

Post by Patri » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:13:30

Hi,

Has anyone tried to migrate aix 4.3.3 to 5.1 by having RAN's and
several TTY's configured on the server RISC/6000 ?  My fear is that
all the configurations of my (special) TTY's may be lost in the
process. Thanks to all...

Patrick

AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1 with RAN

Post by The Mad Hatt » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:15:22

> Hi,

> Has anyone tried to migrate aix 4.3.3 to 5.1 by having RAN's and
> several TTY's configured on the server RISC/6000 ?  My fear is that
> all the configurations of my (special) TTY's may be lost in the
> process. Thanks to all...

I know this might not be helpful, but if you intend to really get a
stable system, forget migrations altogether. The more unusual your
setup is, the more likely it will cause trouble. Migrating works very
well, but if it fails or causes trouble, you are toast. If your
configurations are not lost, it might be that strange errors occur and
you are toast, if it is a production system.

I would rather install 5.1 from scratch on a different machine, setup
all the stuff you need and switch the service from the old machine to
the new...alternatively create a mksysb of the new machine and
reinstall the old one with a tape or NIM.

Regards,

The Mad Hatter