Need help building Taylor UUCP on AIX 3.2

Need help building Taylor UUCP on AIX 3.2

Post by John Hensl » Sat, 29 Aug 1992 23:41:10

I'm having trouble building Taylor UUCP 1.03 on AIX 3.2 -- everything compiles
fine, but the executables all fail with "Out of memory" errors. I've been
working under the assumption that this is related to alloca, but haven't been
able to get around it. I've tried using the default AIX behavior (#pragma
alloca), the alloca from the GNU Emacs distribution, and the alloca that came
with the package. I've tried setting MALLOCTYPE to 3.1, with no luck.

Is anyone successfully running this on AIX 3.2? If so, how'd you do it?

--
John Hensley           |

Post by Ian Mor » Mon, 31 Aug 1992 08:24:34

>I'm having trouble building Taylor UUCP 1.03 on AIX 3.2 -- everything compiles
>fine, but the executables all fail with "Out of memory" errors. I've been
>working under the assumption that this is related to alloca, but haven't been
>able to get around it. I've tried using the default AIX behavior (#pragma
>alloca), the alloca from the GNU Emacs distribution, and the alloca that came
>with the package. I've tried setting MALLOCTYPE to 3.1, with no luck.

If it is any consolation, I also have been unable to sucessfully build
Taylor-uucp on AIX 3.1. Like yourself, everything compiles OK but all
the executables core dump. I would be very interested to hear of any
follow up to this!

Quote:>Is anyone successfully running this on AIX 3.2? If so, how'd you do it?

Ditto AIX 3.1!!

--

ICS Computing Group Ltd.      UUCP:      ...{uknet,uunet,mcsun}!icsbelf!ianm
Belfast, N. Ireland.          Fidonet:   2:440/59.5 & 2:257/10.1

Need help building Taylor UUCP on AIX 3.2

Post by Pierre Assel » Thu, 03 Sep 1992 23:47:52

Quote:>If it is any consolation, I also have been unable to sucessfully build
>Taylor-uucp on AIX 3.1. Like yourself, everything compiles OK but all
>the executables core dump. I would be very interested to hear of any
>follow up to this!

I mailed a 3.1 patch to John.  We'll see how he manages.

Things aren't perfect:  I get reliable connections only if I enable
chat debugging.  Also, I couldn't get tstuu and uucp-over-TCP to work
(but I didn't insist).  Bottom line: Taylor lets me enlarge the
g-protocol windows for higher throughput.

The most troubling change I had to make involved several strings

      const char *zblahblah= NULL;

that weren't initialized to NULL!  All the executables bombed trying to
open garbage paths.  I fixed the problem by sprinkling explicit
assignment to NULL at the beginning of the relevant functions.  A
compiler bug?  Well, I ain't reporting it.  So there.
--

--Pierre Asselin, Magnetoresistive Head Engineering, Applied Magnetics.

1. Need help with executables compiled on AIX 4.3 but being run on AIX 3.2

Hi,
    We have recently upgraded from AIX 3.2 to AIX 4.3. We are trying to
compile Fortran executables on the AIX 4.3 machine (  Absoft FORTRAN for the
RS/6000 V3.2) which will run on AIX3.2 machines, but so far have run into
various problems.
Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Joseph Jeffery

2. HELP!!!! Menu program that uses curses

3. Help needed with Taylor 1.04 UUCP sources.

4. netatlk as router ?

5. Slack 1.2, Taylor UUCP over TCP :Need Help

6. startx -t FAILS

7. Need help with Taylor UUCP

8. Help: setting up cs4232 sound card

9. Alarm errors with Taylor UUCP, need help.

10. taylor uucp 1.04 - akl - "taylor config / performance" release

11. assembler error building gcc 2.2 on AIX 3.2 - help

12. Taylor UUCP <-> VAX/VMS UUCP problems

13. Solaris UUCP <-> Taylor UUCP