How I view, the hard disk space on AIX

Post by chawe » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have some question about hard disk space.
1.I use df command and it display total space, available space.
   User lsvg rootvg, I gut total PPs and free PPs.
   What's different between "df" and "lsvg rootvg"
2.I use "smitty chjfs" to add  100 MB to  fils system on AIX.
   Where the 100MB come from?
   How to view, the free space include 100MB?

   Please correct my English, Thanks!

Post by Pete Bennet » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I have some question about hard disk space.
>1.I use df command and it display total space, available space.
>   User lsvg rootvg, I gut total PPs and free PPs.
>   What's different between "df" and "lsvg rootvg"

The 'df' command shows how much free space you have left out of the file
systems currently mounted out of all the volume groups on your system.
'lsvg' shows the amount of space available and used within the volume group,
the space used in the volume group will include file systems, the boot
logical
volume and paging spaces and the like.  If you take a look at 'lsvg -p
rootvg' that
will show which hard disks are in the rootvg, and the distribution of free
partitions
on those disks.  Running 'lspv -l hdisk0' and so on will list the logical
volumes
which have been created on the disk 'hdisk0' along with where on the disk
the
partitions are located for each logical volume.  A logical volume can be
used
for a normal file system, a page space, boot logical volume, dump space,
database raw partition, Encina data volume....
Have a look around the manual pages for lspv, lslv and lsvg for a better
understanding of how these things relate.

Quote:>2.I use "smitty chjfs" to add  100 MB to  fils system on AIX.
>   Where the 100MB come from?
>   How to view, the free space include 100MB?

The 100MB will have come from the free partitions within the volume group
which contains the file system you just expanded.  You should find that the
free PPs part of the output of 'lsvg' has dropped by 100MB/PP size.
The lspv -l hdisk0 (or hdisk1, or hdisk2....) should also show where the
disk
partitions have actually been allocated.

Hope that helps.
Pete Bennett.

http://www.galactic.co.uk/pete

>   Please correct my English, Thanks!

1. Hard disk space - how to alter the 10% 'root only' space

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's any way of altering the 10% buffer space FreeBSD
marks on a drive

E.g. on a 1gb drive, the first 900mb are usable - after that is used, df
reports 0 bytes free, and the remaining 100mb is writable to only by root
(and as it's used, df reports negative amoutns of space)

I do like this idea, however I would like to be able to alter it a bit -
e.g. reduce the size of the buffer from 10% to 5%.  Also, I would like to
change it such that one or two other users can write to it.  Would this be
possible?  I dont mind doing this by group - e.g. putting the users
concerned into group wheel

Any help would be appreciated

Tom

2. TouchPad Configuration

3. How to view ALL hard disk partitions

4. Lookin' for Work??? - TORONTO

5. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

6. Oracle Security hole?

7. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

8. Help: Cannot boot up from new image

9. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

10. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

11. Free hard disk space on Linux

12. FIPS added 50% to hard disk space

13. Hard disk space...