Can you use xmodem at Even-Parity 7-bits (AIX3.1.3002)?

Can you use xmodem at Even-Parity 7-bits (AIX3.1.3002)?

Post by Tim Fredri » Sun, 07 Apr 1991 10:04:11

I cannot get any of our terminal communications utilities to work at Even
Parity 7 data bits (do to limitations of our terminal server, we must
communicate using this protocol).  Has anyone gotten kermit, zmodem, xmodem
or any other utility to do protocol file transfers on the Risc-System 6000?

Thanks.

--Tim

Post by Ed Rav » Tue, 09 Apr 1991 10:44:42

>I cannot get any of our terminal communications utilities to work at Even
>Parity 7 data bits (do to limitations of our terminal server, we must
>communicate using this protocol).  Has anyone gotten kermit, zmodem, xmodem
>or any other utility to do protocol file transfers on the Risc-System 6000?

Xmodem requires an 8-bit line to work properly.  I'm not familiar enough
with zmodem, but I suspect it's similiar in that respect.  Kermit should be
able to use your 7-bit line (Kermit was designed for hostile communication
environments).  Try studying all the "set" parameters in Kermit closely to
see if you're missing anything.  Also, remember if you're transferring
binary files, you'll need to tell C-Kermit to "set file type binary" or
invoke the nice little frog with the "-i" option.  If you don't do that,
then binary files will never make it over correctly, regardless of your
comm line settings.

I've had nothing but success using C-Kermit (but over 8-bit lines) on
my RS-6000.  UUCP also works.

                --- Ed
--
Ed Ravin            | This random number tells the computer that you are
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | a member in good standing.  It is not related to your

1. How do I set up a terminal on a serial port (AIX3.1.3002)?

Can someone who has successfully attached a modem or terminal please let
me know how it's done?  I have a serial cable and an 8-port serial adapter
in my model 530 -- the cable running every line straight through.

For modem communications, we need to use tip.  Here is how I've tried to
set it up:
     1. Cable from port 5 to the terminal or modem
     2. smit tty, add a tty, 8-port Asych adapter EIA-232, port 5
        enable logins, 9600 baud, no parity, 8 bit characters, XON-XOFF yes,
        terminal type DUMB, stty on run time [hupcl,cread,brkint,icrnl,opost,
        tab3,onclr,isig,icanon,echo,echoe,echok,echoctl,echoke,imabel,iexten],
        and stty attributes on login [cread,echoe,cs8,ixon,ixoff,clocal]
    3.  Step 3 has created tty4.
    4.  In smit, configure a tty
    5.  chmod 666 /dev/tty4
    6.  echo hello > /dev/tty4 doesn't echo anything to a wyse-75 I
        attach to the port, whether I use the
        straight through cable or with pins 2 and 3 switched.
    7.  tip returns the message "link down" when trying to use the port.
    8.  kermit -l /dev/tty4 -b 9600 just hangs.

Can anyone provide any insight? Has anyone successfully attached a modem who
will tell me exactly with their smit settings where and how they set it up
to use tip?  Of course I feel as if I've tried everything at this point :-).

Thanks in advance.

--Tim

2. Help with Vinum!!

3. biff (mail notification under AIX3.1.3002)

4. MAKE.TROLL.FAST

5. calendar fix (AIX3.1.3002)

6. savage 4 refresh rate of more then 60 Hz with XFree 3.3.5 ?

7. Can't telnet to a Risc-System 6000/530 (AIX3.1.3002)

8. DEC Ultimate Workstation random shutdowns.

9. How to connect a dial-out modem (the answers for AIX3.1.3002)

10. Solution to GatorPrint crash problem (AIX3.1.3002)

11. Help with mgetty/7 bits/even parity

12. Zmodem works on 7-bits machine?

13. Serial port stuck at 7-bits in cu - continued