Adding PV's to rootvg

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by Jan Boshof » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00



Hi

We recently ran out of space on our ancient 2GB hdd in a PowerSERVER 590,
after installing 4.3.2.  Thing is, we haven't even started installing
applications onto the machine.

We have an external 4GB that sits around.  So I thought I'd just add this to
rootvg in order to be able to install applications to /usr and still be in
rootvg.

I get the following error message though:

#extendvg -f 'rootvg' hdisk0
0516-050 linstallpv: Not enough descriptor area space left in this volume
        group. Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group.
0516-628 extendvg: Warning, cannot install physical volume hdisk0
        in volume group rootvg.

The details are as following:

# lspv
hdisk0    00001006fea9597a     None            |   Disk I want to add (4GB)
hdisk1    0000100657ba34bd    Ext18Gig
hdisk2    none                            None            |  Bad internal
disk
hdisk3    000010068ca81fe8     rootvg
hdisk4    000010068fb133a1    None             |  Not interested in this at
the moment (also something wrong with it or something)

Also:

# lspv hdisk3
PHYSICAL VOLUME:    hdisk3                   VOLUME GROUP:     rootvg
PV IDENTIFIER:      000010068ca81fe8         VG IDENTIFIER
00001006962bdced
PV STATE:           active
STALE PARTITIONS:   0                        ALLOCATABLE:      yes
PP SIZE:            4 megabyte(s)            LOGICAL VOLUMES:  9
TOTAL PPs:          480 (1920 megabytes)     VG DESCRIPTORS:   2
FREE PPs:           1 (4 megabytes)
USED PPs:           479 (1916 megabytes)
FREE DISTRIBUTION:  01..00..00..00..00
USED DISTRIBUTION:  95..96..96..96..96

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan Boshoff

 
 
 

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by Ken Abrahamse » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Jan,
rootvg is different in that when it is created at OS install time, a limit
to the number of disks in the vg is set. This limit varies based on the
level of AIX and how the install questions / options were answered. AIX3 is
more limiting than AIX4 in its default limits. I may be mistaken but if you
*must* have a bigger rootvg, then the only way I heard / seen is to do a new
install of AIX and specify the greatest number of disks possible to reserve
vg descriptor space for future disks. AIX3 makes certain assuptions, AIX4
asks you how many additional you want (up to a limit). The other option
would be to put the additional disk into a new vg.

There may be a better way but I am currently unaware of it.
ken
======


>Hi

>We recently ran out of space on our ancient 2GB hdd in a PowerSERVER 590,
>after installing 4.3.2.  Thing is, we haven't even started installing
>applications onto the machine.

>We have an external 4GB that sits around.  So I thought I'd just add this
to
>rootvg in order to be able to install applications to /usr and still be in
>rootvg.

>I get the following error message though:

>#extendvg -f 'rootvg' hdisk0
>0516-050 linstallpv: Not enough descriptor area space left in this volume
>        group. Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group.
>0516-628 extendvg: Warning, cannot install physical volume hdisk0
>        in volume group rootvg.

>The details are as following:

># lspv
>hdisk0    00001006fea9597a     None            |   Disk I want to add (4GB)
>hdisk1    0000100657ba34bd    Ext18Gig
>hdisk2    none                            None            |  Bad internal
>disk
>hdisk3    000010068ca81fe8     rootvg
>hdisk4    000010068fb133a1    None             |  Not interested in this at
>the moment (also something wrong with it or something)

>Also:

># lspv hdisk3
>PHYSICAL VOLUME:    hdisk3                   VOLUME GROUP:     rootvg
>PV IDENTIFIER:      000010068ca81fe8         VG IDENTIFIER
>00001006962bdced
>PV STATE:           active
>STALE PARTITIONS:   0                        ALLOCATABLE:      yes
>PP SIZE:            4 megabyte(s)            LOGICAL VOLUMES:  9
>TOTAL PPs:          480 (1920 megabytes)     VG DESCRIPTORS:   2
>FREE PPs:           1 (4 megabytes)
>USED PPs:           479 (1916 megabytes)
>FREE DISTRIBUTION:  01..00..00..00..00
>USED DISTRIBUTION:  95..96..96..96..96

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Jan Boshoff


 
 
 

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by Ken Abrahamse » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Hi Jan,
In thinking about this, what about doing a mksysb and mksysb restore of your
system and substituting your 4GB disk for the 2GB disk for rootvg. Then use
your 2GB disk for other things.
Just a thought to get another 2GB in rootvg....
ken
========

>Jan,
>rootvg is different in that when it is created at OS install time, a limit
>to the number of disks in the vg is set. This limit varies based on the
>level of AIX and how the install questions / options were answered. AIX3 is
>more limiting than AIX4 in its default limits. I may be mistaken but if you
>*must* have a bigger rootvg, then the only way I heard / seen is to do a
new
>install of AIX and specify the greatest number of disks possible to reserve
>vg descriptor space for future disks. AIX3 makes certain assuptions, AIX4
>asks you how many additional you want (up to a limit). The other option
>would be to put the additional disk into a new vg.

>There may be a better way but I am currently unaware of it.
>ken
>======

>>Hi

>>We recently ran out of space on our ancient 2GB hdd in a PowerSERVER 590,
>>after installing 4.3.2.  Thing is, we haven't even started installing
>>applications onto the machine.

>>We have an external 4GB that sits around.  So I thought I'd just add this
>to
>>rootvg in order to be able to install applications to /usr and still be in
>>rootvg.

>>I get the following error message though:

>>#extendvg -f 'rootvg' hdisk0
>>0516-050 linstallpv: Not enough descriptor area space left in this volume
>>        group. Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group.
>>0516-628 extendvg: Warning, cannot install physical volume hdisk0
>>        in volume group rootvg.

>>The details are as following:

>># lspv
>>hdisk0    00001006fea9597a     None            |   Disk I want to add
(4GB)
>>hdisk1    0000100657ba34bd    Ext18Gig
>>hdisk2    none                            None            |  Bad internal
>>disk
>>hdisk3    000010068ca81fe8     rootvg
>>hdisk4    000010068fb133a1    None             |  Not interested in this
at
>>the moment (also something wrong with it or something)

>>Also:

>># lspv hdisk3
>>PHYSICAL VOLUME:    hdisk3                   VOLUME GROUP:     rootvg
>>PV IDENTIFIER:      000010068ca81fe8         VG IDENTIFIER
>>00001006962bdced
>>PV STATE:           active
>>STALE PARTITIONS:   0                        ALLOCATABLE:      yes
>>PP SIZE:            4 megabyte(s)            LOGICAL VOLUMES:  9
>>TOTAL PPs:          480 (1920 megabytes)     VG DESCRIPTORS:   2
>>FREE PPs:           1 (4 megabytes)
>>USED PPs:           479 (1916 megabytes)
>>FREE DISTRIBUTION:  01..00..00..00..00
>>USED DISTRIBUTION:  95..96..96..96..96

>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>>Jan Boshoff

 
 
 

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by Denny Hardia » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Jan,
The reason you got that error message was because you were trying to add 4 GB PV
into a volume group which had 4 MB PP size. If you see the information given by
: lspv hdisk3, you will see that PP size is 4 MB. That is the PP size used for
rootvg. There is a limitation for the number of PPs allowed in a PV. In 1 PV,
the number of PP should not exceed 1016. So, if you divide 4 GB by 4 MB you will
get 1024 PPs which exceeds the limit. That's why you got that message. If you
created the VG ( in this case rootvg ) initially with 16 MB PP size then you
would not get that message. In order to add 4 GB PV into a VG, the PP size
should be at least 8 MB. So, in the nutshell you can not add this new PV into
rootvg without reinstalling the OS with higher PP size. Since your current OS is
AIX 4.3.2 then you can circumvent this limitation. It has a new command to play
around with this boundary : chvg -t <number> where the number is any number from
2,3,4 ... so on. For example: if you specify 2 then it means each PV in a VG can
now have 2 * 1016 = 2032 PPs so you can add that 4 GB disk into rootvg. But
again, good thing will have side effect. Initially, before you change the upper
limit, you can have 32 PVs in a VG but now you can only have 32/2 = 16 PVs in
rootvg. The same applies if you put 3,4, ... the number of PVs allowed in a VG
will be reduced by that factor. Another caveat, you can not revert back once you
have changed the upper limit and you can not import the altered VG from AIX
4.3.2 to any earlier level of AIX. So be careful with this command. Since you
are going to install another apps. in the new disk, then I suggest you to create
a new VG with 16 PP size just in case you will add 9.1 GB in the future, then
you can create a new filesystems under that VG dedicated for that apps ( i.e :
/usr/local ). Having all the apps. in rootvg is not a good idea since they will
slow down the backup and restore of mksysb image. Normally, you only need to
have /, /usr, /home, /tmp, and /var filesystems in rootvg and put all other
apps. in another VG. I hope this explanation could help you out. Good luck.

Denny Hardian


> Hi

> We recently ran out of space on our ancient 2GB hdd in a PowerSERVER 590,
> after installing 4.3.2.  Thing is, we haven't even started installing
> applications onto the machine.

> We have an external 4GB that sits around.  So I thought I'd just add this to
> rootvg in order to be able to install applications to /usr and still be in
> rootvg.

> I get the following error message though:

> #extendvg -f 'rootvg' hdisk0
> 0516-050 linstallpv: Not enough descriptor area space left in this volume
>         group. Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group.
> 0516-628 extendvg: Warning, cannot install physical volume hdisk0
>         in volume group rootvg.

> The details are as following:

> # lspv
> hdisk0    00001006fea9597a     None            |   Disk I want to add (4GB)
> hdisk1    0000100657ba34bd    Ext18Gig
> hdisk2    none                            None            |  Bad internal
> disk
> hdisk3    000010068ca81fe8     rootvg
> hdisk4    000010068fb133a1    None             |  Not interested in this at
> the moment (also something wrong with it or something)

> Also:

> # lspv hdisk3
> PHYSICAL VOLUME:    hdisk3                   VOLUME GROUP:     rootvg
> PV IDENTIFIER:      000010068ca81fe8         VG IDENTIFIER
> 00001006962bdced
> PV STATE:           active
> STALE PARTITIONS:   0                        ALLOCATABLE:      yes
> PP SIZE:            4 megabyte(s)            LOGICAL VOLUMES:  9
> TOTAL PPs:          480 (1920 megabytes)     VG DESCRIPTORS:   2
> FREE PPs:           1 (4 megabytes)
> USED PPs:           479 (1916 megabytes)
> FREE DISTRIBUTION:  01..00..00..00..00
> USED DISTRIBUTION:  95..96..96..96..96

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Jan Boshoff

 
 
 

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by Clayton Tan » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00


After reading other replies, I feel the problem is why do you want to add
the 4gb into rootvg in the first place. If it is only for apps, you are
better off making another appsvg. This way, you don't have to reinstall your
apps whenever you wipe out your rootvg for any reason. Plus the 4gb is
external, you never want to put rootvg on an external drive anyway.

- CT

---


Quote:> Hi

> We recently ran out of space on our ancient 2GB hdd in a PowerSERVER 590,
> after installing 4.3.2.  Thing is, we haven't even started installing
> applications onto the machine.

> We have an external 4GB that sits around.  So I thought I'd just add this
to
> rootvg in order to be able to install applications to /usr and still be in
> rootvg.

> I get the following error message though:

> #extendvg -f 'rootvg' hdisk0
> 0516-050 linstallpv: Not enough descriptor area space left in this volume
>         group. Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group.
> 0516-628 extendvg: Warning, cannot install physical volume hdisk0
>         in volume group rootvg.

> The details are as following:

> # lspv
> hdisk0    00001006fea9597a     None            |   Disk I want to add
(4GB)
> hdisk1    0000100657ba34bd    Ext18Gig
> hdisk2    none                            None            |  Bad internal
> disk
> hdisk3    000010068ca81fe8     rootvg
> hdisk4    000010068fb133a1    None             |  Not interested in this
at
> the moment (also something wrong with it or something)

> Also:

> # lspv hdisk3
> PHYSICAL VOLUME:    hdisk3                   VOLUME GROUP:     rootvg
> PV IDENTIFIER:      000010068ca81fe8         VG IDENTIFIER
> 00001006962bdced
> PV STATE:           active
> STALE PARTITIONS:   0                        ALLOCATABLE:      yes
> PP SIZE:            4 megabyte(s)            LOGICAL VOLUMES:  9
> TOTAL PPs:          480 (1920 megabytes)     VG DESCRIPTORS:   2
> FREE PPs:           1 (4 megabytes)
> USED PPs:           479 (1916 megabytes)
> FREE DISTRIBUTION:  01..00..00..00..00
> USED DISTRIBUTION:  95..96..96..96..96

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Jan Boshoff

 
 
 

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by Yousef Jamou » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Up to my knowledge, you can't add an external disk to you internal rootvg.

Quote:> Hi

> We recently ran out of space on our ancient 2GB hdd in a PowerSERVER 590,
> after installing 4.3.2.  Thing is, we haven't even started installing
> applications onto the machine.

> We have an external 4GB that sits around.  So I thought I'd just add this
to
> rootvg in order to be able to install applications to /usr and still be in
> rootvg.

> I get the following error message though:

> #extendvg -f 'rootvg' hdisk0
> 0516-050 linstallpv: Not enough descriptor area space left in this volume
>         group. Either try adding a smaller PV or use another volume group.
> 0516-628 extendvg: Warning, cannot install physical volume hdisk0
>         in volume group rootvg.

> The details are as following:

> # lspv
> hdisk0    00001006fea9597a     None            |   Disk I want to add
(4GB)
> hdisk1    0000100657ba34bd    Ext18Gig
> hdisk2    none                            None            |  Bad internal
> disk
> hdisk3    000010068ca81fe8     rootvg
> hdisk4    000010068fb133a1    None             |  Not interested in this
at
> the moment (also something wrong with it or something)

> Also:

> # lspv hdisk3
> PHYSICAL VOLUME:    hdisk3                   VOLUME GROUP:     rootvg
> PV IDENTIFIER:      000010068ca81fe8         VG IDENTIFIER
> 00001006962bdced
> PV STATE:           active
> STALE PARTITIONS:   0                        ALLOCATABLE:      yes
> PP SIZE:            4 megabyte(s)            LOGICAL VOLUMES:  9
> TOTAL PPs:          480 (1920 megabytes)     VG DESCRIPTORS:   2
> FREE PPs:           1 (4 megabytes)
> USED PPs:           479 (1916 megabytes)
> FREE DISTRIBUTION:  01..00..00..00..00
> USED DISTRIBUTION:  95..96..96..96..96

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Jan Boshoff

 
 
 

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by H?kan Rissane » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00



> Up to my knowledge, you can't add an external disk to you internal rootvg.

Wrong!!!  You can. No problem whatsoever. The problem Jan is experiencing is, as
Denny Hardian wrote in another post, the Physical partition size being 4MB which
is too small for a 4.5GB disk. Only way to change PP size is to backup and
restore to a larger disk or run mkszfile, edit image.data - set larger PP size,
before starting the mksysb.

/H?kanen

 
 
 

Adding PV's to rootvg

Post by Ram Pandi » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00



|>
|> > Up to my knowledge, you can't add an external disk to you internal rootvg.
|>
|> Wrong!!!  You can. No problem whatsoever. The problem Jan is experiencing is, as
|> Denny Hardian wrote in another post, the Physical partition size being 4MB which
|> is too small for a 4.5GB disk. Only way to change PP size is to backup and
|> restore to a larger disk or run mkszfile, edit image.data - set larger PP size,
|> before starting the mksysb.
|>
|> /H?kanen

Actually the problem is that the rootvg is created with only limited space
for additional disks.  AIX 3.2.x created rootvgs with this limitation.
In subsequent versions rootvg is being created to accomodate MAX (32) of disks.
The only option now is to create and restore mksysb.

Ram
--
______________________________________________

My views are mine, not IBMs.

 
 
 

1. add pv to rootvg,but pp size not compatible?

Prepare to upgrade the OS from 4.2 to 4.3, hence might
need more space in the rootvg.
Decided to add an extra 9Gb external h/d to it.
But since the existing rootvg is of pp size only = 4Mb,
so when this extra disk was added, it complaint
of the fact that the pp size must be larger than 4
to accomodate the new disk.
So is there any workaround ?

2. FTP Server and Logging Help

3. how change a lv on 2 pv's to 1 pv

4. Dumb question

5. Migrating rootvg to another pv

6. My C-modules don't like eachother! Why?

7. 'PV operaion'

8. NullPointerException error when starting Tomcat/Cocoon

9. Add a PV to an existing VG

10. Problem: Using extendvg to add a new PV

11. How to remove a hdisk which is not belong to rootvg but has a rootvg label

12. About mirror rootvg and the contents in the rootvg automatically synchronize

13. rootvg losts almost all it's LV's !?!?