"Cannot find child device" error after cfgmgr is run

"Cannot find child device" error after cfgmgr is run

Post by Conehea » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:07:24

Recently we have had two AIX servers give errors indication they could not
find a child device.  Today, we had an HBA go bad and replaced it and
rezoned the storage to the new WWN.  After cfgmgr was run this error was
received.  This also happened on another server that we added storage to and
zoned but we then removed(in our lab).  My question;  Is there anything in
AIX that "remembers" and when storage is removed or rezoned needs to be
updated?

One other common factor is that both servers have EMC storage.

John

"Cannot find child device" error after cfgmgr is run

Post by Todd Moriar » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:44:53

Quote:>Recently we have had two AIX servers give errors indication they could
>not find a child device.  Today, we had an HBA go bad and replaced it
>and rezoned the storage to the new WWN.  After cfgmgr was run this error
>was received.  This also happened on another server that we added
>storage to and zoned but we then removed(in our lab).  My question;  Is
>there anything in AIX that "remembers" and when storage is removed or
>rezoned needs to be updated?

>One other common factor is that both servers have EMC storage.

>John

This error message is only supposed to occur when there are no attached
devices or wrap plugs on a fiber channel adapter. Check all your adapters
for: Loose plugs, missing wrap plugs, adn also check your fiber for a break
hope this helps
-Todd

1. Got the error "no such device" when run "setserial" command.

Hello,
    Thanks in advance for any replys.
    I have problem to open the com port here. I suspect that my com port

is not setup properly. I found some articles mentioned about setserial.
What I did:
/bin/setserial -b /dev/cua0 uart 16550
And I got the error said that:
/dev/cua0: No such device
I even tried to put this command into /etc/rc.d/rc.local and reboot the
server, but still fails.
I tried on other linux servers that I have with the "setserial -a
/dev/xxxx",
I can get some information.
I wonder what's wrong with my server. It's not setup by me. Is it the
com port didn't set properly during the installation?
How can I solve this problem so that my program can talk to the port?
I have looked at the HOWTO documents still can get it works.

Thanks.

--

Application Developer   Hitechniaga Sdn. Bhd.
Tel: 603-966-0966        Fax: 603-966-0080

2. Seagate 850 EIDE help

3. Error congiguring video card --"Cannot find server, cannot continue"

4. Banner pages

5. telnet/ftp behind Linksys router?

7. xconfig broken in 2.5.44?

9. Bizarre "find" process running under owner "nobody"

10. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"

11. startx returns errors "Not a declared device" or "Chipset string expected"

12. PATCH: eisa reports "0 device" not "0 devices"