Getting the number pad to "work"

Post by Alan Fahrne » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi Folks...

I've checked the FAQ, searched my AIX docs, and done more on the web, but I
can't locate this.  Worst of all, I use to have a document on how to do
it...

Either way, while in vi and other applications, the numeric kepad does not
"produce" numbers.  I know there is procedure to remedy this.  Could I get
someone to send it to me?

Thanks tons!

Alan

Post by Villy Kru » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Hi Folks...

>I've checked the FAQ, searched my AIX docs, and done more on the web, but I
>can't locate this.  Worst of all, I use to have a document on how to do
>it...

>Either way, while in vi and other applications, the numeric kepad does not
>"produce" numbers.  I know there is procedure to remedy this.  Could I get
>someone to send it to me?

If you are using a vt100 terminal there are entries in the terminfo database
which does this.  I beleive the entry is rmkx and smkx.

You can try to make a tic source file using infocmp; remove the entries for
rmkx and smkx and run tic on that file.

Villy

Getting the number pad to "work"

Post by Simon Marches » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

What kind of terminal? Mine works fine - it's a LFT (directly attached)
keyboard.

> Hi Folks...

> I've checked the FAQ, searched my AIX docs, and done more on the web, but I
> can't locate this.  Worst of all, I use to have a document on how to do
> it...

> Either way, while in vi and other applications, the numeric kepad does not
> "produce" numbers.  I know there is procedure to remedy this.  Could I get
> someone to send it to me?

> Thanks tons!

> Alan

Getting the number pad to "work"

Post by John McQ » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Sorry to reply to a reply but I couldn't find the original posting.

I seem to recall the problem with DEC VT series terminals on other
flavours of UNIX. Basically when vi or similar program starts, it
sends a terminal initialisation sequence, via curses I think, to put
the key pad in "Application" mode rather than "Number Pad" mode.

You really need an Escape sequence programming guide for the terminal
in question for all the details.

Best suggestion I can make is to edit the appropriate terminfo source
and re tic it to change the string. You could save this as a new name
& wrap vi in a startup script which changes the TERM variable just
prior to startup.

Sometimes this also causes backspace to use ^H etc.

Regards

John

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:14:58 +0000, Simon Marchese