POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

Post by Derek Konigsber » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00



Hello,
    I recently aquired a POWERstation 350 RS/6000 system.  When I put
the keyswitch in service mode, and start it, I get a blinking 888
after a while.  Using the reset button, I cycled through the codes
under the 888.  I got the three codes: 103, 803, 871.  Any idea what's
wrong?
    Later, I went to a machine where a friend of mine had put disk
images of the diagnostic disks (the last test was using the diagnostic
stuff on the hard drive, since I had no disks in the machine), and
made some disks.  Then, I put the machine in service mode, and booted
using the disks.  I got it to the point where the screen initalized,
and asked me to hit F1 then Enter on the keyboard where I wanted my
console, but doing this on the PS/2 IBM keyboard plugged into the
machine did nothing.  Anyone have and ideas?

If any information that I did not provide about the machine would be
helpful in figuring out my problem, just ask and I'll try to dig it
up.

Thanks,
    Derek Konigsberg

 
 
 

POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

Post by Snogfest Hosebeas » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00




> Hello,
>     I recently aquired a POWERstation 350 RS/6000 system.  When I put
> the keyswitch in service mode, and start it, I get a blinking 888
> after a while.  Using the reset button, I cycled through the codes
> under the 888.  I got the three codes: 103, 803, 871.  Any idea what's
> wrong?
>     Later, I went to a machine where a friend of mine had put disk
> images of the diagnostic disks (the last test was using the diagnostic
> stuff on the hard drive, since I had no disks in the machine), and
> made some disks.  Then, I put the machine in service mode, and booted
> using the disks.  I got it to the point where the screen initalized,
> and asked me to hit F1 then Enter on the keyboard where I wanted my
> console, but doing this on the PS/2 IBM keyboard plugged into the
> machine did nothing.  Anyone have and ideas?

> If any information that I did not provide about the machine would be
> helpful in figuring out my problem, just ask and I'll try to dig it
> up.

> Thanks,
>     Derek Konigsberg


try
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprob/msgdnref/toc.
htm
--
Quitters never win.
Winners never quit.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00


.......  snip  ......

Quote:>     Later, I went to a machine where a friend of mine had put disk
> images of the diagnostic disks (the last test was using the diagnostic
> stuff on the hard drive, since I had no disks in the machine), and
> made some disks.  Then, I put the machine in service mode, and booted
> using the disks.  I got it to the point where the screen initalized,
> and asked me to hit F1 then Enter on the keyboard where I wanted my
> console, but doing this on the PS/2 IBM keyboard plugged into the
> machine did nothing.  Anyone have and ideas?

First, PS/2 keyboards will not normally work on an IBM RISC System/6000.
You will need the one designed for this system. Better still is to
use a dumb terminal attached to a native serial port for your console.
A PC running a terminal emulator program, i.e. Telix, will work too.
Set the terminal for 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and 9600 bit per
second. Use a "full handshaking" null modem in the cable that you
are attached to the serial port.

For your flashing 888 problem double check that all of the adapter
card are seated, SCSI IDs are unique, don't use 7, and the the external
SCSI bus is terminated at the last device.

--
Regards,
Jerry M.
Seen on a Tee Shirt, "Never GREP a YACC by the INODE".

 
 
 

POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

Post by Derek Konigsber » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00


Jerry,
    Later last night I stuck my Wyse 60 terminal on the machine, and got
the diagnostics running there.  You said normal PS/2 keyboards don't work
on these things?  That's news to me, since I've seen what appear to be
normal IBM "clicky" style PS/2 kerboards (same thing I'm using) on these
machines all over the place.  (this PS/2 keyboard is the old IBM style,
btw.)
    In the diagnostics, the machine appears to be ok.  I basically tested
everything.  There "might" be an NVRAM battery problem, but I doubt it
since I messed with the boot-up device sequence last night, and powered off
the machine, and the settings are still there today.  Honestly, I think
that maybe what I really need to do is just snag an AIX CD-ROM and
reinstall the OS on the machine.  IBM workstations aren't the friendliest
thing in the world when it comes to "screwing around", and in it's previous
configuration this machine was setup in a manner where it probably depended
on being in a certain network.
-Derek


> .......  snip  ......

> >     Later, I went to a machine where a friend of mine had put disk
> > images of the diagnostic disks (the last test was using the diagnostic
> > stuff on the hard drive, since I had no disks in the machine), and
> > made some disks.  Then, I put the machine in service mode, and booted
> > using the disks.  I got it to the point where the screen initalized,
> > and asked me to hit F1 then Enter on the keyboard where I wanted my
> > console, but doing this on the PS/2 IBM keyboard plugged into the
> > machine did nothing.  Anyone have and ideas?

> First, PS/2 keyboards will not normally work on an IBM RISC System/6000.
> You will need the one designed for this system. Better still is to
> use a dumb terminal attached to a native serial port for your console.
> A PC running a terminal emulator program, i.e. Telix, will work too.
> Set the terminal for 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and 9600 bit per
> second. Use a "full handshaking" null modem in the cable that you
> are attached to the serial port.

> For your flashing 888 problem double check that all of the adapter
> card are seated, SCSI IDs are unique, don't use 7, and the the external
> SCSI bus is terminated at the last device.

> --
> Regards,
> Jerry M.
> Seen on a Tee Shirt, "Never GREP a YACC by the INODE".

 
 
 

POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00



>     Later last night I stuck my Wyse 60 terminal on the machine, and got
> the diagnostics running there.  You said normal PS/2 keyboards don't work
> on these things?  That's news to me, since I've seen what appear to be
> normal IBM "clicky" style PS/2 kerboards (same thing I'm using) on these
> machines all over the place.  (this PS/2 keyboard is the old IBM style,
> btw.)

Yes sir, the keyboards all look alike but internally they apparently
have different circuitry. In the early days of the IBM RISC System/6000
we had a lab with PS/2s and RS/6000s and we were all of the time having
keyboard problems. The only way to determine which keyboard was which
is by the part number stenciled on the bottom. Part numbers 1395985 and
51G8572 are US English keyboards.

--
Regards,
Jerry M.
Seen on a Tee Shirt, "Never GREP a YACC by the INODE".

 
 
 

POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

Post by Carl R. Frien » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00



> Yes sir, the keyboards all look alike but internally they apparently
> have different circuitry. In the early days of the IBM RISC
> System/6000 we had a lab with PS/2s and RS/6000s and we were all of
> the time having keyboard problems.

   I have successfully run an RS/6000 220 with a PS/2 keyboard in the
past with the proviso that it needs to be remapped each time the
6000 gets booted or the keyboard is unplugged/replugged from the
system.  I did that using the /usr/lpp/diagnostics/da/dkbdsal
program.

   I am not sure about the RS/6000 300-series machines, though.

--
+------------------------------------------------+---------------------+
| Carl Richard Friend (UNIX Sysadmin)            | West Boylston       |
| Minicomputer Collector / Enthusiast            | Massachusetts, USA  |

| http://www.ultranet.com/~crfriend/museum       | ICBM: N42:22 W71:47 |
+------------------------------------------------+---------------------+

 
 
 

1. New Pager Compatiable 800/888 Service..

ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE:
U.S.A, CANADA VIRGIN ISLANDS, AND PUERTO RICO

BE SURE TO GO TO OUR SITE AND CHECK OUT OUR FREE TRIAL.

Call everyone and tell them to throw away all of your old home, office, fax,
pager, voice-mail, and cellular numbers and give them your New "Virtual Office"
800/888 number! The only number any one will ever need.

Are you tired of giving out all of your different phone numbers to everyone?
Wouldnt it be nice to be able to give everyone just ONE phone number that
will find you anywhere you are? Even out of town, or in a restaurant, or even
on the golf course.

Now you can.

We have the answer to all your communication needs. Its called the "Virtual Office".

And this new service is loaded. It comes with features like:

An automated Call Attendant, Live Call Connect (in real time), Fax Sending, Fax Receiving,
Even without a fax machine! E-Mail Notification and Delivery, Without a PC!,
Outbound calling, Low Cost Long Distance Service, Inbound/Outbound 800/888
Number, Worldwide Call Transfer, Call Forwarding, Call Screening, Full Service Voice
Mail, Nation Wide Pager Notification, Conference Calling, Speed Dialing, Auto Dial,
Auto Messaging, Temporary Greeting, Unavailable Greeting, Password Protection,
Pager Notification, and No Equipment or Software to buy, "Ever".    

Priced from $9.95* per month, Plus 10.9 cents per minute per event.

Thats less than one phone line would cost per month.

For more information please visit our web sight:
http://www.mynumber.com

* Based on our best priced plan.      

2. Unixware 2.03 Backup-Help Needed

3. flashing 888 & Cryptic service guide

4. Which signals to catch?

5. X-server hangs on Startup on Aptiva 350, Cirrus card, clgd 5426 Chipset

6. Running Linux where NT/2K just won't cut it

7. automatic startup of services during the system's startup

8. ~/.netscape/cookies -> /dev/null

9. HELP! Flashing 888!

10. Wide 332Mhz node fails to boot in maintenance mode 888-102-700-0C5

11. HELP mksysb or savevg on AIX4.2.1/F50 gives a 888

12. 888 dump analizing?

13. 888???