is soname on AIX needed ?

is soname on AIX needed ?

Post by Andrey Koubyche » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:32:38



Hello everyone,

I'm trying to compile omniORB library on AIX 4.3.3  with gcc but linker
fails with error :

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,_omniidlmodule.so.1 -o
_omniidlmodule.so.1.0 -L../../../../lib -L../../../../lib y.tab.o lex.yy.o
idlerr.o idlutil.o idltype.o idlrepoId.o idlscope.o idlexpr.o idlast.o
idlvalidate.o idldump.o idlconfig.o idlfixed.o idlpython.o
ld: 0706-005 Cannot find or open file: _omniidlmodule.so.1

If i remove this "-Wl,-soname,_omniidlmodule.so.1" part , everything
compiled ok, but exe(python script that comes with distribution) that uses
this library crashes. Now the question , can missing soname parameter be the
reason of the crash ? How can I fix the link error ?

Thank you for attention !

--
Best regards,
Andrey Koubychev

 
 
 

is soname on AIX needed ?

Post by Paul Pluzhniko » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:04:54



> I'm trying to compile omniORB library on AIX 4.3.3  with gcc but linker
> fails with error :

> g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,_omniidlmodule.so.1 -o ...
> ld: 0706-005 Cannot find or open file: _omniidlmodule.so.1

AIX "ld" does not understand '-soname', and the whole concept
applies only to ELF systems, which AIX isn't.
It is *wrong* to pass '-soname' to linker on AIX.

Quote:> If i remove this "-Wl,-soname,_omniidlmodule.so.1" part , everything
> compiled ok,

This is not the only change you'll need to make to your link
command. I suggest you start with:

  g++ -shared -o _omniidlmodule.so ...

Quote:> but exe(python script that comes with distribution) that uses
> this library crashes.

Crashes where? Does it crash, or just error out?
And how does it 'use the library' ?

Quote:> Now the question , can missing soname parameter be the
> reason of the crash ?

Missing a parameter that is not even understood on AIX
is *not* the reason for crash.

Cheers,
--
In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

 
 
 

1. Tar extract: from Solaris onto AIX - What am I missing?

I have data written with tar on Solaris 2.7 and need to extract it
with AIX 4.2.  The error I am getting is:
tar: 0511-193 An error occurred while reading from the media.
There is an input or output error.

Can someone shed some light please??

Thank you very much

-patrick

2. Retired accounts

3. large VFAT disks always full?

4. I am missing something important while porting to AIX 3.1?

5. Wallstreet problems -- any progress?

6. AIX, sar and perl (what am I doing wrong?)

7. New System: does this hardware look OK?

8. ldconfig inconsistent soname errors

9. WARNING Inconsistant soname ?!?!?

10. Need help with executables compiled on AIX 4.3 but being run on AIX 3.2

11. Function to get soname?

12. Need AIX Expert's help: AIX 4.2 PPP setup