Need help to tar files to tape

Post by Jack Hsiu » Thu, 16 Apr 1992 19:27:21

I'm having problems taring files to tape. The machine is RS6000 running
AIX 3.1. The tape drive is external IBM 1/4" tape drive. The tape is
DC600A. I'm able to read the tape and extract files from it. However,
when I try to write to the tape using the command tar cv filename,
I get the message:

a filename 1 blocks
tar: tape write error: Invalid argument

I tried all sorts of different arguments but couldn't get tar to write
to tape. Please help.
--
Jack Hsiung

Post by Dale Hubl » Fri, 17 Apr 1992 09:20:18

>I'm having problems taring files to tape. The machine is RS6000 running
>AIX 3.1. The tape drive is external IBM 1/4" tape drive. The tape is
>DC600A. I'm able to read the tape and extract files from it. However,
>when I try to write to the tape using the command tar cv filename,
>I get the message:

>a filename 1 blocks
>tar: tape write error: Invalid argument

>I tried all sorts of different arguments but couldn't get tar to write
>to tape. Please help.
>--
>Jack Hsiung

The default device is for a DC6150 tape.  The drive can't write the
higher format to a DC600.  You need to use the special device for
the 120Mb format tapes.  If drive is rmt0 for instance,

tar -cvf /dev/rmt0.6 ./*

will retension the tape on open and rewind on close using the
120 Mb device.  I do it all the time with DC600.  Also, rdump
needs some special parameters which I don't have at hand.  Mail
me if you need them, but I won't be around for a couple of weeks.

Dale

--

Progress marches on, *ling everything in its path.

--

Progress marches on, *ling everything in its path.

Need help to tar files to tape

Post by Dale Hubl » Fri, 17 Apr 1992 20:29:36

Quote:>120 Mb device.  I do it all the time with DC600.  Also, rdump
>needs some special parameters which I don't have at hand.

Now that I looked up the command I'll follow up to myself.  For
rdump to a DC600 use

rdump -0ucd 1250 -s 9000 -f hostname:/dev/rmt0.6

--

Post by Jack Hsiu » Fri, 17 Apr 1992 23:50:39

>>I'm having problems taring files to tape. The machine is RS6000 running
>>AIX 3.1. The tape drive is external IBM 1/4" tape drive. The tape is
>>DC600A. I'm able to read the tape and extract files from it. However,
>>when I try to write to the tape using the command tar cv filename,
>>I get the message:

>>a filename 1 blocks
>>tar: tape write error: Invalid argument

>>I tried all sorts of different arguments but couldn't get tar to write
>>to tape. Please help.
>>--
>>Jack Hsiung

>The default device is for a DC6150 tape.  The drive can't write the
>higher format to a DC600.  You need to use the special device for
>the 120Mb format tapes.  If drive is rmt0 for instance,

>tar -cvf /dev/rmt0.6 ./*

This did the trick for me. Doesn't make much sense, but as long as it
works. BTW, the drive is 150mb.

Thanks.

>will retension the tape on open and rewind on close using the
>120 Mb device.  I do it all the time with DC600.  Also, rdump
>needs some special parameters which I don't have at hand.  Mail
>me if you need them, but I won't be around for a couple of weeks.

>Dale

>--

>Progress marches on, *ling everything in its path.

--
Jack Hsiung

1. Help needed: broken tar file on tape

Hi,
we have a corrupted /home backup tape - somehow it got damaged.
It should contain a single tar file. The following is a gnus-tar error
message:

sarastro ROOT root .../sd0h/sinix 35> /usr/gnu/bin/tar xv --ignore-zeros --igno
re-failed-read --same-permissions
/usr/gnu/bin/tar: Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive.
/usr/gnu/bin/tar: Skipping to next file header...
/usr/gnu/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file

Could someone please give me a hint on where to find a program, which deals
with this?
Appreciation is guaranteed - days worth of work are at stake as usual...

Greetings from Berlin

Soeren

2. Linux Installation on Windows 2000

3. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

4. FREEBSD 4.0 inetd starting PPP

5. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar & mt ???

6. WEEP: non-trivial (!) serial communication problem

7. tar file size limit and tar to tape

8. NET : xx messag supressed

9. Help needed with file extraction from a tar file

10. Scripting Help: tar a dir with time and date as file tar file name..................TIA

11. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

12. Multi tapes with tar/Tar tape length

13. Need help create a multi-volume with Tar (without tape)