I can't get xdm to run, but I've done everything!

I can't get xdm to run, but I've done everything!

Post by Walter Polkosn » Tue, 06 Apr 1993 12:39:25

I did what was in the README files in the /usr/lpp/X11/README and
/usr/lpp/X11/Xamples/README files, added the xdm subsystem, and appended the
proper line to my rc.tcpip. When I boot I get a message like "The xdm subsystem
could not be started, try again later." Does anyone knows what's going on? This
is on an AIX 3.2.3 extended, PowerStation 320.

Actually, How can I tell whether the installation of 3.2.3 extended went ok? I
got the message from smit that the installation is ok, but when running the new
system I get the feeling that I left something undone.

I posted a message a while back about runnning emacs on AIX, but I fear that I
may have missed any replies, since I have not logged into my system for about 2
weeks, and I believe news expires by then. My pageup and pagedown keys do not
work with emacs, and neither does delete, but there is a fix in the emacs docs
for delete.

--
Walter Polkosnik

Queens College, CUNY       {cmcl2,apple}!panix!banana

1. I've done everything, still can't mount linux dirs from Win95

Linux System is a Pentium running Redhat 5.0
Two Windoze systems.  #1 is running Win95 (Original release) with service
pack 1 installed.
#2 is running Win95 OSR 2.

I'm logged into both systems as a user with the same name (Norm) and the
same password (none).
I've set the regedit key at
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/VxD/VNETSUP...
EnablePlainTextPassword  to  1

I can mount all of the directories from Win system #1 on the Linux machine
with no problem.

I can't mount any of the directories from Win system #2 (diagnostic is
"invalid argument" with the additional error message:
"smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL"  but I can ping Win
system #2 from the Linux machine by name successfully and the IP address is
correct.

From Win system #1, when I try to "map network drive" in explorer, I'm
asked for a password and nothing I say is acceptable.  I haven't tried it
from Win system # 2 yet.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all suggestions.
        Norm D.

2. Notes on the behaviour of raw tape device drivers

3. You've got yours, I've got mine... let the others in their shit!

4. GCC question

5. I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

6. psaux: Device or resource busy

7. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

8. Using the Adaptec aic6x60

9. HELP!-I've tried everything and PPP still is dead!

10. HELP: I've tried everything I know (modem)

11. SuSE 9.2 Wireless (HiFi) I've tried everything?

12. 3COM 3c509 problems - yes, I've tried EVERYTHING from howto, newsgroups, etc...

13. HELP!!:I've tried everything...