How to start named using user named (not root) and SRC?

How to start named using user named (not root) and SRC?

Post by Konstantin Gorbun » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 19:52:36

I want to start named8 on AIX 4.3.3 using other user, not root. I've
read that named8 should be started with minimal rights and in no
circumstances use "root" to start named. I created user/group
(named/named) with minimal rights and gave them rights on /var/named
and /etc/named.conf . But this user have not right to use SRC. I load
named8 with this command: su - named /usr/sbin/named  Everything works
fine. But I'm not shure, that it's the best way to start named8. Can I
start named8 using named account and SRC both?

Thanks in advance
Konstantin Gorbunov.

1. problem with sendmail using users name rather than email name

Hi,

We have incoming mail being aliased correctly to users, but when that
user with pine reply's or composes a new email, the users ID is used as
the prefix for our domain rather than thier email name. Any idea where I
should look to rectify this?

userID  webmon
email   webMonitor

/etc/aliases

webMonitor:     webmon

So this is fine for incoming mail but outgoing email will use

webmon when it should use webMonitor.

Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

TCP/IP gatewaying http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk/computerDept/

2. HELP! Problems re-building kernel

3. Local users not recieving mail when domain name used

4. Lexmark 7000, Ghostscript, TeX, and Linux

5. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

6. Linux MP3ENC needs libc.so.5 ... libraries

7. Which named ?...Solaris 2.5 in.named or Berkley named ?

8. Linux v1.0 won't hangs on boot ... how to fix?

9. How do i start named (for a caching only name server )?

10. named as root name server

11. where does named.ca/named.root go on Solaris 7?

12. How to setup named as a root name server?

13. Guide to selecting user names and machine names