Need info on connecting Apple LW II printer to RS6000/320H

Need info on connecting Apple LW II printer to RS6000/320H

Post by Rajiv Aro » Thu, 27 Feb 1992 04:55:24

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but today's the first day I've read this newsgroup and
I didn't see this discussed in the articles currently available.

I've just started using an RS6000/320H running AIX 3.1.5 and I'm still learning
the ropes. I'm primarily a user but as there are no sysadmins at my site, I'm
also the sysadmin. I have some experience administering Suns but AIX is new to
me.

Anyhow, I've played with InfoExplorer and Smit and thought I'd try my hand at
attaching a PostScript printer (Apple LaserWriter II). The problem I find is
that this is not a supported device. The closest supported printer I could find
was the QMS Colorscript 100.

The procedure I followed was:
        connect the printer to serial port 1
        using SMIT, create a printer lp0 on port s1 of type QMS ...
        create a virtual printer called lw for Postscript
        create a queue for lw
        activate the queue

At this point "lpq" shows status of printer lw on device lp0 to be READY.
lpr -Plw myfile queues the job. However, lpq after initially showing status as
RUNNING, shows the job status to be in DEV-WAIT.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I've double checked the cable, and it works
great if the printer is connected to a Sun. My guess is that I need to edit the
attributes of the QMS printer and create an attributes entry for the Apple.

Has anyone done this before? Am I missing something obvious? Any advice is most
welcome.

Thanks.

*                               Phone: (512) 795-9015                        *

1. Connecting Apple LW PRO 600 to Linux box

Hi,
        Has anyone out there got an apple lw pro 600 hooked up to their linux
box ?  I can get postscript files to print without any problem but plain text
is the problem.  Is there anyway to convert ordinary text output to ps or is
that necessary ?

Pramod John, Dept. of ECE at UIUC

"Blessed are the peacemakers"- Jesus Christ

2. replacing parameters' names with parameters' values

3. Can I connect an Apple LW to a Sun workstation

4. FA: AIX 4.3.3 bundle

5. Emergency Help Needed!: Need bootdiskette for rs6000 320H

6. UNIX (Solaris) Admin needed @ Chiron Diag., MA

7. Need help setting up Apple LocalTalk printer on RS6000

8. 800x600 XWindows

9. CUPS for connecting an Apple LaserWriter II NT

10. Connecting Apple Laserwriter II to LPRng

11. enabling b-size on apple lw pro 810

12. *** Trouble printing to Apple LW 16/600PS ***

13. Printer Apple StyleWriter II