root directory growing and growing and ....

root directory growing and growing and ....

Post by tommie_wil.. » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi all

Running AIX 4.2.1 and I do a 'df' command repeatedly and everytime my /
filesystem is shrinking in size.  I do this command every 5 seconds and
the filesystem gets smaller with each one.  I'm worried that my /
filesystem will be full in a couple hours.

Is there a way to find out if there is a process the is writing
something to the root filesystem?

I still new to this Unix system admin thing so I not to experienced
with finding out what it could be.

Thanks,

--Tommie

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Zoltan Soo » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all

> Running AIX 4.2.1 and I do a 'df' command repeatedly and everytime
my /
> filesystem is shrinking in size.  I do this command every 5 seconds
and
> the filesystem gets smaller with each one.  I'm worried that my /
> filesystem will be full in a couple hours.

> Is there a way to find out if there is a process the is writing
> something to the root filesystem?

Try a 'du -xk /' in, say, 5-minute intervals and search for growing
numbers. This will help you find where to look for the growing file.
Check 'man du' for details on the du command.

--

-zoltan-

Post by Nicholas Drone » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all
> Running AIX 4.2.1 and I do a 'df' command repeatedly and everytime my /
> filesystem is shrinking in size.  I do this command every 5 seconds and
> the filesystem gets smaller with each one.  I'm worried that my /
> filesystem will be full in a couple hours.
> Is there a way to find out if there is a process the is writing
> something to the root filesystem?
> I still new to this Unix system admin thing so I not to experienced
> with finding out what it could be.

Try

# find / -xdev -mtime 0 -ls | more

This will show you a list of the files in the root filesystem
only that have changed in the past 24 hours.

Regards,

Nick Dronen

root directory growing and growing and ....

Post by Steve Carte » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

you could try doing a

# find / -xdev -mtime -1 -ls

and then find the files being updated. You could even sort by date or size
by piping the output through sort.

May be easier to do above with output to a file in /tmp then repeat a couple
of minutes later to a different file then do a diff on the two files.

the command
# fuser /
may help too ( it could be quite a lot of output )

Dont delete the growing file if it is still open for writing by an
application ( growing or not ) because all you will do is lose access to the
file it will not be removed & hence the space freed up until you stop
whatever is writing to it. If you cannot close the application for whatever
reason then if its just a logfile or something similar ( ie the output is
not needed and it can be removed in flight) then use

# > troublesome_file_name

this will null (reduce the size of ) the contents while leaving the file in
place.

Hope that helps a little
--
SteveC
______________________

Only a computer can make the same mistake
a million times a second.
(unless its running windows when its 127 times a second)

Quote:> Hi all

> Running AIX 4.2.1 and I do a 'df' command repeatedly and everytime my /
> filesystem is shrinking in size.  I do this command every 5 seconds and
> the filesystem gets smaller with each one.  I'm worried that my /
> filesystem will be full in a couple hours.

> Is there a way to find out if there is a process the is writing
> something to the root filesystem?

> I still new to this Unix system admin thing so I not to experienced
> with finding out what it could be.

> Thanks,

> --Tommie

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

root directory growing and growing and ....

Post by Montse Pererna » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi all :
Sorry for my english, I hope you could understand what I am going to write.

In 4.3.2 you can use the command :
fuser -u /dev/<NAME_LV>
and a list of the processes that are using the file systems that is inside
the logical volume NAME_LV appears. This can give you a clue about the
processes that are using the file system.
I dont know if it works in 4.2.1. Try to look at the man pages if this
command exists in AIX 4.2.1 and perhaps this can help you.
Goodbye
    Montse

> Hi all

> Running AIX 4.2.1 and I do a 'df' command repeatedly and everytime my /
> filesystem is shrinking in size.  I do this command every 5 seconds and
> the filesystem gets smaller with each one.  I'm worried that my /
> filesystem will be full in a couple hours.

> Is there a way to find out if there is a process the is writing
> something to the root filesystem?

> I still new to this Unix system admin thing so I not to experienced
> with finding out what it could be.

> Thanks,

> --Tommie

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

root directory growing and growing and ....

Post by Tom Wilso » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for all the tips everyone.  The problem was taken care of.  We found
the rogue process took care of that *.

Thanks again all,

--Tommie

Quote:> Hi all

> Running AIX 4.2.1 and I do a 'df' command repeatedly and everytime my /
> filesystem is shrinking in size.  I do this command every 5 seconds and
> the filesystem gets smaller with each one.  I'm worried that my /
> filesystem will be full in a couple hours.

> Is there a way to find out if there is a process the is writing
> something to the root filesystem?

> I still new to this Unix system admin thing so I not to experienced
> with finding out what it could be.

> Thanks,

> --Tommie

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

root directory growing and growing and ....

Post by Tom Wilso » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for all the tips everyone.  The problem was taken care of.  We found
the rogue process took care of that *.

Thanks again all,

--Tommie

Quote:> Hi all

> Running AIX 4.2.1 and I do a 'df' command repeatedly and everytime my /
> filesystem is shrinking in size.  I do this command every 5 seconds and
> the filesystem gets smaller with each one.  I'm worried that my /
> filesystem will be full in a couple hours.

> Is there a way to find out if there is a process the is writing
> something to the root filesystem?

> I still new to this Unix system admin thing so I not to experienced
> with finding out what it could be.

> Thanks,

> --Tommie

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

1. syslogd grows and grows and grows on 2.6/x86

Anyone else seen this?

On a moderately busy logging system (probably 50Mb of logging per day)
syslogd consumes more and more memory as time goes by.

Here's a sample top output:

22886 root      23    0   66M   40M sleep   0:44  0.11%  0.10% syslogd

It start at a coupla meg as you'd expect.

While I'm at it, can I complain about syslogd in general on 2.6?
Here's my complaints:

o       Multiple HUPs kill it, so one has to take care with newsyslog
        type programs

o       it seems to leak memory as mentioned above

o       it writes all log files with fsync() unlike the other syslogd
        programs that known about -/var/log/file syntax.

o       it introduces a syslogd_door which seems to imply that access to syslog
        in a chroot environment is problematically.

Regards.

2. mail addrees more big than 256caracters

3. why does /var/adm/wtmp grow and grow and grow ...

4. BUG in CDROM Module??

5. "Cached" grows and grows and grows...

6. netchip's net2280 usb 2.0 device

7. Apache growing,Growing,GROWING in memory usage

8. DCE on Suns in a mixed ONC/DCE environment

9. /usr/lpd/qadm.config grows and grows

10. Netscape Enterprise collections grow and grow...

11. File .X.err grows and grows!

12. RedHat 6.0: rpc.mountd process grows and grows.

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.