9:38:03 +0100

Post by Ted Linne » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Hello-
>    My environment,
>            Oracle 7.3.4, AIX 4.2
>Problem
>    My export seems to fail as it reaches two gig.  command = exp

>the export fails claiming "Cannot write to export file"  At that point the
>file size is by using ls -s 2097814  which if I am not mistaken is 2 gig

>Now I have all ulimits set to -1 which gives the oracle user unlimited file
>size, or so I think.  Also the /d5 logical drive was created to support
>large files.

>Does anyone know how to work around this?

>I need help from someone who knows IBM's AIX specifically to confirm these
>things?   Does anyone know how to confirm from the shell that 1) the user
>oracle has unlimited file size 2) That the /d5 logical drive supports large
>file sizes?

>If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciatte it.  I am pretty lost.

>In addition can someone please tell me how I can export directly to tape if
>my tape drive is /dev/rmt0

>You can see I am not much of a UNIX admin

>Scott Hahn

1) do a man ulimit.
     ulimit should show you the current max file size, can't remember
the flag you need.

Ted.

| BSc GradDipDP CNA MACS PCP                                 |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia                           |

9:38:03 +0100

Post by Denny Koovakatt » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Scott,

  Even if AIX supports large files, Oracle utilities like exp/imp/sqlldr
may not support file sizes greater than 2G. Check with Oracle Tech.
Support whether Oracle utilities for Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.2 supports
large files. If not, then you could export to a named pipe, use split
and compress to split the export files into multiple files below 2G.
This has been discussed in this forum before. Please do a search and if
you cannot find one example let me know.

  To export directly to tape, use the volsize parameter.

  exp file=/dev/rmt0 volsize=<size of tape - some overhead> .....

Regards,
Denny

> >Hello-
> >    My environment,
> >            Oracle 7.3.4, AIX 4.2
> >Problem
> >    My export seems to fail as it reaches two gig.  command = exp

log=/d1/log.txt

> >the export fails claiming "Cannot write to export file"  At that
point the
> >file size is by using ls -s 2097814  which if I am not mistaken is 2
gig

> >Now I have all ulimits set to -1 which gives the oracle user
unlimited file
> >size, or so I think.  Also the /d5 logical drive was created to
support
> >large files.

> >Does anyone know how to work around this?

> >I need help from someone who knows IBM's AIX specifically to confirm
these
> >things?   Does anyone know how to confirm from the shell that 1) the
user
> >oracle has unlimited file size 2) That the /d5 logical drive supports
large
> >file sizes?

> >If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciatte it.  I am pretty
lost.

> >In addition can someone please tell me how I can export directly to
tape if
> >my tape drive is /dev/rmt0

> >You can see I am not much of a UNIX admin

> >Scott Hahn

> 1) do a man ulimit.
>      ulimit should show you the current max file size, can't remember
> the flag you need.

> Ted.

> | BSc GradDipDP CNA MACS PCP                                 |
> | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia                           |

Denny Koovakattu

http://vitalsol.com/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

9:38:03 +0100

Post by Doug Cowle » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

You can also export directly to the compress untility if you are on UNIX.
look up the mknod command.   This allows you to create a blocking pipe.
You export to one end of it, and compress on the other end.  In my experience,
I get about a 5:1 ratio, so that that 10G would be your limit.

- Dc.

> >Hello-
> >    My environment,
> >            Oracle 7.3.4, AIX 4.2
> >Problem
> >    My export seems to fail as it reaches two gig.  command = exp

> >the export fails claiming "Cannot write to export file"  At that point the
> >file size is by using ls -s 2097814  which if I am not mistaken is 2 gig

> >Now I have all ulimits set to -1 which gives the oracle user unlimited file
> >size, or so I think.  Also the /d5 logical drive was created to support
> >large files.

> >Does anyone know how to work around this?

> >I need help from someone who knows IBM's AIX specifically to confirm these
> >things?   Does anyone know how to confirm from the shell that 1) the user
> >oracle has unlimited file size 2) That the /d5 logical drive supports large
> >file sizes?

> >If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciatte it.  I am pretty lost.

> >In addition can someone please tell me how I can export directly to tape if
> >my tape drive is /dev/rmt0

> >You can see I am not much of a UNIX admin

> >Scott Hahn

> 1) do a man ulimit.
>      ulimit should show you the current max file size, can't remember
> the flag you need.

> Ted.

> | BSc GradDipDP CNA MACS PCP                                 |
> | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia                           |

1. 10/100 card won't talk to 10/100 hub

I recently got a second Intel-based PC. Like the first, it has a 10/100
Ethernet card, so it seemed like a good idea to replace my 10BaseT
mini-hub with a 10/100 mini-hub (a D-Link DSH-5) so that I could get a
fast connection between the two machines. Bad idea!

The new card (a 3com 3C905-TXM) works fine with the new hub, but the old
card (a D-Link DFE-500TX) won't talk to it at any speed. This card, which
uses the tulip driver and is *supposed* to be a 10/100 card, works fine
with the old 10BaseT hub.

On the old machine, I am currently using kernel 2.2.19 (Debian 2.2) with
the 0.91g tulip driver. I attempted to compile a new kernel with the
latest tulip driver (0.94, I think), but I got all sorts of errors.

It seems to me that I have two options. Either figure out how to tell the
card to talk to the hub at 100 Mbs (assuming that the failure occurs when
they are trying to negotiate a speed), or get a new card. The information
at  http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html suggests that I can pass a
media type to the driver, but I have no idea which one to pass (there are
about 10 variants of 100BaseT, such as 100baseTx, MII 100baseT4, and so
on). Does anyone know what would be appropriate?

The second option is to buy a new network card. The 3com is known to work,
but it is ridiculously expensive (Can. $129). Can anyone suggest a cheap
10/100 card that works reliably at 100 Mbs with a 2.2 kernel?

Thanks in advance.
--
James MacKinnon
Dept. of Economics

2. Problem with a Remote HP Printer

3. Xircom RBE-100 Ethernet 10/100 support

4. Porting from Linux -> DOS

5. FS: 10/100 4 port switch and 4 10/100 Network Adapters

6. OK, I need Sound help :)

7. 10/100 card will not autodetect 100

8. The usage of "eval"

9. Xircom RE-100 10/100 Ethernet Card on TP600E

10. PII-233 running 100 httpd and 100 pop3 daemons?

11. Switching to 100 mps on a 10/100 card..

12. Upgrading from sun blade 100 to sun fire 100

13. How to verify my 10/100 half eth adapters are in 100 half mode?