Problem with assigning a static IP address

Problem with assigning a static IP address

Post by Larr » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:37:47

I have an odd issue assigning one paticular static IP address in AIX
5.1 on an old 7012 system. I need to assign an IP address of
192.168.2.23 to this system but when I do, I can't Telnet or ftp to
the machine but I can ping the system. I checked everything and
everything seemed to be in order. So, I decided to change the IP
address to 192.168.1.1. I can now Telnet & ftp to the system with this
IP address. If I change it back to 192.168.2.23, Telnet & ftp don't
work but I can ping the system. I haven't tried any other IP
addresses, yet. Am I missing something here??

Post by S.Llabre » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:07:47

> I have an odd issue assigning one paticular static IP address in AIX
> 5.1 on an old 7012 system. I need to assign an IP address of
> 192.168.2.23 to this system but when I do, I can't Telnet or ftp to
> the machine but I can ping the system. I checked everything and
> everything seemed to be in order. So, I decided to change the IP
> address to 192.168.1.1. I can now Telnet & ftp to the system with this
> IP address. If I change it back to 192.168.2.23, Telnet & ftp don't
> work but I can ping the system. I haven't tried any other IP
> addresses, yet. Am I missing something here??

Do you change the adress through smitty or via ifconfig?

When the system is configured with the 192.168.2.23 can you
ping the 192.168.2.1 then (i mean is it possible that three is
another machine on the net with the 192.168.2.1)?

Bye, Stefan...  .     .      .

Post by Simon Marches » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:23:50

> > I have an odd issue assigning one paticular static IP address in AIX
> > 5.1 on an old 7012 system. I need to assign an IP address of
> > 192.168.2.23 to this system but when I do, I can't Telnet or ftp to
> > the machine but I can ping the system. I checked everything and
> > everything seemed to be in order. So, I decided to change the IP
> > address to 192.168.1.1. I can now Telnet & ftp to the system with this
> > IP address. If I change it back to 192.168.2.23, Telnet & ftp don't
> > work but I can ping the system. I haven't tried any other IP
> > addresses, yet. Am I missing something here??

> Do you change the adress through smitty or via ifconfig?

> When the system is configured with the 192.168.2.23 can you
> ping the 192.168.2.1 then (i mean is it possible that three is
> another machine on the net with the 192.168.2.1)?

> Bye, Stefan...  .     .      .

What netmask are you using?

Post by Larr » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 22:34:19

> > > I have an odd issue assigning one paticular static IP address in AIX
> > > 5.1 on an old 7012 system. I need to assign an IP address of
> > > 192.168.2.23 to this system but when I do, I can't Telnet or ftp to
> > > the machine but I can ping the system. I checked everything and
> > > everything seemed to be in order. So, I decided to change the IP
> > > address to 192.168.1.1. I can now Telnet & ftp to the system with this
> > > IP address. If I change it back to 192.168.2.23, Telnet & ftp don't
> > > work but I can ping the system. I haven't tried any other IP
> > > addresses, yet. Am I missing something here??

> > Do you change the adress through smitty or via ifconfig?

> > When the system is configured with the 192.168.2.23 can you
> > ping the 192.168.2.1 then (i mean is it possible that three is
> > another machine on the net with the 192.168.2.1)?

> > Bye, Stefan...  .     .      .

> What netmask are you using?

I changed the IP address thru smitty tcpip then minimum config &
startup. The netmask is 255.255.255.0 I can ping 192.168.2.1 when the
the IP address is set for 192.168.2.23. Our MIS dept. gave me the
192.168.2.23 address & said it was not used. I'm going to have to
verify that.

Post by Simon Marches » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 04:28:15

> > > Do you change the adress through smitty or via ifconfig?

> > > When the system is configured with the 192.168.2.23 can you
> > > ping the 192.168.2.1 then (i mean is it possible that three is
> > > another machine on the net with the 192.168.2.1)?

> > > Bye, Stefan...  .     .      .

> > What netmask are you using?

> I changed the IP address thru smitty tcpip then minimum config &
> startup. The netmask is 255.255.255.0 I can ping 192.168.2.1 when the
> the IP address is set for 192.168.2.23. Our MIS dept. gave me the
> 192.168.2.23 address & said it was not used. I'm going to have to
> verify that.

If "23" is duplicated on the network, you would expect to see more than one response to your ping (signified by DUP! in
brackets) and an entry in the AIX error log (use errpt) showing that AIX found a duplicate.

Note that 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.23 are on different subnets with a 255.255.255.0 netmask.

1. ISP assigns a static ip to the router, ip of eth0 ?

Hi, Paul

First of all I wanna thank you for your public tutorial "Red Hat Linux
6.X as an Internet Gateway for a Home Network",
maybe simple but perfectly reflecting a real small-office network
situation (mine):

adsl connection with a static ip (through a cisco ios router) to a
internal network,
firewalled by a gateway/dns linux Redhat 6.2 box with two eth nics.

Here in Italy just now ISPs start to offer adsl connections with static
ip so I believe my question will be useful
for many guys (if there is a answer ;-).

=====================================================================================================

If your internet provider has assigned you a static IP address, you are
sitting pretty. First, create a new interface configuration file,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and put the following in it:

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=y.y.y.y
ONBOOT=yes

Just fill in x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y with the values given by your internet
provider.
=====================================================================================================

Okay, but if  ISP assigns the static ip (x.x.x.x/32) to the router's
dialing interface, which network addressing have I to choose for
the linux box's eth0 and consequently for the router's ethernet
interface too ?

again many thanks,
Luke

2. problem with XFree86-aoutlibs

3. Dynamically assign VPN IP's to LAN static IP's

4. Wanted: Ascend Pipeline 50

5. Setting up DMZ, IP routing and assigning IP addresses

6. nessus start error can't find shared libraries libnasl.so.1

7. Correct IP configuration for machine with dynamically-assigned IP address?

8. How to prevent drying up of ink-cartridges??

9. Assigning static addresses and DNS info

10. Cannot assign a static address

11. Assign Static Address on DHCP Network?

12. Implementing a IPv6 network with dynamically assigned static IPv6 addresses.

13. problem assigning ip address to second nic