Better Communication Software than stupid ate

Better Communication Software than stupid ate

Post by Nathan D. La » Sat, 30 Jan 1993 12:06:30

Quote:>Can any one tell me where I can find a good communication program
>something like PROCOMM or CrossTalk for AIX. I hate "ate", it is
>old, I mean real old. It uses 8-bit xmodem !

I use "pcomm" - which has a few problems on the RS/6000, but it
generally works just fine.  I'm sure I could fix it, but it served
it's purpose (using ymodem to download 20MB of data at 38.4K).
I don't know where to get it.  It compiles pretty easily and is
almost exactly compatible with procomm.

-Nathan Lane
Triicon Systems, Santa Barbara, CA

Better Communication Software than stupid ate

Post by mudi » Sat, 30 Jan 1993 07:48:06

Hi every_one

Can any one tell me where I can find a good communication program
something like PROCOMM or CrossTalk for AIX. I hate "ate", it is
old, I mean real old. It uses 8-bit xmodem !

I need a real comm program.

Thanks

Mudit

--

SPECTROX SYSTEMS +1.408.252.1005  Silicon Valley, Ca

Better Communication Software than stupid ate

Post by he.. » Sat, 30 Jan 1993 21:39:44

: Hi every_one
:
: Can any one tell me where I can find a good communication program
: something like PROCOMM or CrossTalk for AIX. I hate "ate", it is
: old, I mean real old. It uses 8-bit xmodem !
:
: I need a real comm program.
:
You might want to give Kermit a try.  There is an AIX version, and the
few times I have used it I had no problems.

Bri

Post by Clay Irvi » Sun, 31 Jan 1993 08:05:37

Quote:>>Can any one tell me where I can find a good communication program
>>something like PROCOMM or CrossTalk for AIX. I hate "ate", it is
>>old, I mean real old. It uses 8-bit xmodem !
>I use "pcomm" - which has a few problems on the RS/6000, but it
>generally works just fine.  I'm sure I could fix it, but it served
>it's purpose (using ymodem to download 20MB of data at 38.4K).
>I don't know where to get it.  It compiles pretty easily and is
>almost exactly compatible with procomm.

Better yet, use ZModem to download -- I get roughly 1600+ Bytes/sec with a
compressed file and 3000+ Bytes/sec with a text file...

--

I wish I were a moron,  ....................................................
My God! perhaps I am! -- Eugenics Review July 1929

Better Communication Software than stupid ate

Post by Walter Polkosn » Tue, 02 Feb 1993 13:53:08

Quote:>Hi every_one
>Can any one tell me where I can find a good communication program
>something like PROCOMM or CrossTalk for AIX. I hate "ate", it is
>old, I mean real old. It uses 8-bit xmodem !
>I need a real comm program.
>Thanks

I must agree with you. 'ate' is probably the most stupidly designed, most
badly written and most generally annoying program I have ever run on any
system.

Get the zmodem package from comp.sources.unix...Much faster than xmodem. I use
Seyon and kermit for communications on my system.

--
Walter Polkosnik

Queens College, CUNY       {cmcl2,apple}!panix!banana

1. Need encrypted communications communications software

    I'm interested in using high speed modems V.32 for company confidential
    communications.  One security option is hardware based security but this
    can get expensive as the number of users increases and many such packages
    are not able to run much past 9600 bps.

    The planned environment will be DOS, OS/2, and UNIX clients running simple
    terminal emulation packages (ANSI or VT100 emulators) calling into a
    central RISC System/6000 server using V32bis and V42bis modems.  In the
    future we'll probably want to increase the line speed and might want to
    move to X using SLIP or some faster IP transport over serial lines.

    Does anyone know of terminal emulators that can support encryption or
    separate software encryption packages suitable to be grafted onto the
    backed of a terminal emulator?  Public domain would be nice but we'll
    look at commercial products as well.  Any non-hardware solution might
    be interesting.  Thanks,

                         --jrh
--

telephone: +1 416 493 4162                      uunet: ...!uunet!jrh!jrh

2. What is the easiest way to set up a secure firewall on my Linux 7.1 PC

3. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

4. Does an ARCNET card look lik an ethernet card to the /dev system?

5. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

6. How do I ftp a file through shell scirpt

7. stupid stupid stupid

8. Stats comp.os.linux.hardware (last 7 days)

9. Better communications program (not X)

10. UNIX Modem Communications Software

11. Terminal server software? communications help needed..?

12. Wanted: GPL or PD software for ITU standard communications

13. LINUX Communications software ?