Auto Shutdown when login in CDE environment

Auto Shutdown when login in CDE environment

Post by Louie Chi » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,

I am running on AIX 414 using CDE environment. Thus, I want to create
an user account when he login into the system thru CDE, it will  be
automatically shutdown the AIX.

Could anyone suggest on it?
Regards,
Louie

Auto Shutdown when login in CDE environment

Post by Gunnar Risber » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Yes.
You can try to write for example a C-program that djust makes a call to the
system function. The argument to system is a string:
"nohup shutdown &"

There after the program waits (5 sec) to let the nohup program take
controll of the process.

The C-program most have root permission:
r-sr-xr-x    root   system

Call the program as the initprogram for the shutdown user.

These should be working. Sometime You have to press <exit> button on the
main panel, before the shutdown will start. Howewer you can do nothing else
with these user, while any try to open a terminal window will not work.

Hope to solve your problem.

/ Gunnar

Quote:

> Hi there,

> I am running on AIX 414 using CDE environment. Thus, I want to create
> an user account when he login into the system thru CDE, it will  be
> automatically shutdown the AIX.

> Could anyone suggest on it?
> Regards,
> Louie

1. auto-shutdown probs with CDE login

Hi All,

I recently set up a SS10 running Solaris 2.5 and CDE 1.0.2 to
auto-shutdown at night (after backups get done).

The auto-shutdown seems to work perfectly if someone is logged in, but
if the system is sitting at the CDE login prompt when auto-shutdown gets
invoked by the power management daemon, nothing happens - the system
does not shut down.

Then, when a user next tries to log in, say the next day, the system
immediately shuts down as soon as his/her password has been confirmed.
After a restart it then picks up where it left off, half way through the
CDE login sequence.

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that dtlogin grabs the
X server. I tried disabling the grab (set the grabServer resource to
false), but unfortunately this only disables the total server grab. It
looks like it is impossible to disable the keyboard grab. And alas,
setting grabServer to false didn't solve the problem. So I suspect the
keyboard grab is causing the problem.

Is this a known bug in the power management software? Is there a patch
or a workaround?

Any ideas are welcome...

JASON PATTERSON

 Imagine that CRAY decides to make a personal computer. It contains 16
 Alpha based processors executing in parallel, has 800 megabytes of RAM,
 9 Gigabytes of disk storage, a resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, does
 24bit 3D graphics in realtime, relies entirely on voice recognition for
 input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300. What is the first
 question the computer community asks?

 "Is it DOS compatible?"

2. ipfw fwd udp implemented yet?

3. How can I auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

4. Left Media Bay on PB G3 Series problem

5. How to auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

6. How do I change from lpd to LPRng?

7. auto-login to graphical environment (using xdm/kdm)

8. Which processor for Linux (motherboard upgrade)?

9. turn off auto restore application in CDE during login

10. Auto run a .profile script at CDE login

11. i cannot login as root in the cde environment

12. Configure CDE environment with chooser selection for login server

13. how do I get cde to auto login a user?