OLD 530H Console problem

Post by Nick Col » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:10:05

I have been given an old RS/6000 530H with graphics card and 6019 display.
I have no way to connect a terminal to the S1 port. When I try to boot
from the AIX 4.1 media, it all goes fine until it tries to display to the
screen, at which point the panel LED displays "c31" and I believe it's
prompting me to pick a console terminal over the S1 serial connection.

Is there any way to get this box to default to the Graphics display as the
main console, bearing in mind it currently has no OS installed :-(

Nick Cole, PC Support, University of Cambridge, MIS Division

OLD 530H Console problem

Post by Bob Mariot » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:20:22

>I have been given an old RS/6000 530H with graphics card and 6019 display.
>I have no way to connect a terminal to the S1 port. When I try to boot
>from the AIX 4.1 media, it all goes fine until it tries to display to the
>screen, at which point the panel LED displays "c31" and I believe it's
>prompting me to pick a console terminal over the S1 serial connection.

>Is there any way to get this box to default to the Graphics display as the
>main console, bearing in mind it currently has no OS installed :-(

>Thanks,

>--
>Nick Cole, PC Support, University of Cambridge, MIS Division

In my experience, in default mode the console must be tty0 (S0) and
the cabling must be correct (null modem).   This is, of course, if you
are booting from the installation media.

We have created a small cable properly configured that we use to plug
a laptop into the S0 port just for this purpose.  Once the initial
config is loaded then the VGA port seems to work.

However, something just came to mind on these 'old' boxes - and DON'T
laugh.  A long time ago, actually on a 53H, we had a similar situation
to yours.  Someone on usenet stated to try either unplugging  the
mouse and then reboot.   After we stopped laughing and rolling on the
floor we tried it - IT WORKED!   May that will work for you.

Good luck.

Bob

1. X Windows and my old old old old video card

Hi. The card in question is an ISA ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (with the mach32
engine). The particular monitor that I'm using is an AST Vision 4L, and I
managed to root through the AST website (talk about counterintuitive!) so
I could get the horiz and vert scan lines etc. I can't seem to get X setup
right, when I run probe, it complains about a missing clocks line. Is
there any doc which can EXPLAIN xf86config? A man page helps, but getting
the theory fundas would be even nicer.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support the linux community
provides. Also, being something of a DOS/Windows junkie ;=( in the past,
i'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get my hands on info that'll
help me migrate better.

regards
Aniruddha Shankar
BAngalore, India

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. PCMCIA Floppy and RH 7.x

3. Help needed with console keyboard bindings (The old backspace/delete problem)

4. Expanding env variables listed in text files

5. ufstype=old = how old? SunOS fstype=4.2 old?

6. Novice with a Crashed Hard Disk

7. Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.

8. MenuButtonWidgets

9. Missing a serial number for SCO OS 4.2 (old-old-old...)

10. problem restoring 4.1.4 mksysb from 370 to 530h

11. 530H hardware problem

12. [Fwd: Re: problem restoring 4.1.4 mksysb from 370 to 530h]

13. old mach32, old sb-pro, supermicro p5ste motherboard, problems