vi - problem on ibm3151 terminal

Post by Stephan Deuts » Wed, 29 Apr 1992 21:55:43

I have the following problem:

It seems that the vi editor has some problems to scroll downwards on a ibm3151
console terminal. The cursor's position is on the bottom of the srceen and if
I want to scroll downwards the vi writes the next line over the last bottom
line, don't scrolling the screen contents upwards. Screenrefresh with CTRL-L
will bring the true screen contents up, but scrolling further downwards will
bring the same problem to happen again.
What could be the idea to solve this? Playing football with a RS/6000 system
isn't the best idea, although it would give me some fun...

                                        Stephan

Post by David L. Cr » Thu, 30 Apr 1992 00:56:32

>It seems that the vi editor has some problems to scroll downwards on a ibm3151
>console terminal. The cursor's position is on the bottom of the srceen and if

    Make sure that you have "forcing insert" set to "both" in the 3151
  setup screens.
--
 ------------------  Friends don't let friends go to aTm.  ------------------
 David L. Crow            (512) 838-1134   IBM Advanced Workstations Division

 ------ Any opinions expressed are those of me and not of my employer. ------

Post by Tom Armiste » Thu, 30 Apr 1992 03:47:43

>I have the following problem:

>It seems that the vi editor has some problems to scroll downwards on a ibm3151
>console terminal. The cursor's position is on the bottom of the srceen and if
>I want to scroll downwards the vi writes the next line over the last bottom
>line, don't scrolling the screen contents upwards. Screenrefresh with CTRL-L
>will bring the true screen contents up, but scrolling further downwards will
>bring the same problem to happen again.
>What could be the idea to solve this? Playing football with a RS/6000 system
>isn't the best idea, although it would give me some fun...

>                                    Stephan

This can be fixed with a setup option on the 3151 terminal.  I don't remember
the option name, but is in the option at the top, right side of the 1st
setup screen.  This needs to be set to 'BOTH' to fix the problem...

Tom
--
Tom Armistead            | 2918 Dukeswood Dr.     | Garland, Tx.  75040

Post by Dwivian Unterschreib » Fri, 01 May 1992 02:39:58

>I have the following problem:
>It seems that the vi editor has some problems to scroll downwards on a ibm3151
>console terminal. The cursor's position is on the bottom of the srceen and if
>I want to scroll downwards the vi writes the next line over the last bottom
>line, don't scrolling the screen contents upwards. Screenrefresh with CTRL-L
>will bring the true screen contents up, but scrolling further downwards will
>bring the same problem to happen again.

You're running up against the screen length, I'll bet.  Use CTRL-SETUP and
check the Row and Column entry.  (Ctrl-Setup also exits setup.)  If you're
set to 25x80, you'll need to do a `stty rows 25` to use the proper screen
length.  Of course, you could always set it back one in the terminal setup,
but you might as well take advantage of that extra line!

--

(
   I'm a stealth .signature virus!  Copy me into your .sig quietly!

Post by Jeff Mark » Fri, 01 May 1992 21:58:59

>I have the following problem:

>It seems that the vi editor has some problems to scroll downwards on a ibm3151
>console terminal. The cursor's position is on the bottom of the srceen and if
>I want to scroll downwards the vi writes the next line over the last bottom
>line, don't scrolling the screen contents upwards. Screenrefresh with CTRL-L
>will bring the true screen contents up, but scrolling further downwards will
>bring the same problem to happen again.
>What could be the idea to solve this? Playing football with a RS/6000 system
>isn't the best idea, although it would give me some fun...

>                                    Stephan

Stephan -
I've seen this problem from time to time.  It seems to be caused by having
the 3151 set for 25 line operation, while the terminfo for 3151's specifies
24 lines only.  Try adding a terminfo entry for ibm3151-25 with 25 lines,
or at least do an stty rows 25.

The otheroption, of course, is to make sure the 3151 is set for 24 lines.

--
                        Jeff Markel
Jeffrey Markel | uucp:     jpradley!argos!markel   | Argos Computer Systems Inc

1. csh problem on ibm3151 terminal under 3.2

After upgrading my rs6000 to aix3.2, running csh on an ibm3151 terminal is
giving me serious problems. Whenever I try to use 'more' the terminal screen
is filled with garbage and I have to reset it. 'cat' works fine. This problem
is only seen on the 3151, and only with csh (and the tcsh which I compiled
on 3.1 and which ran fine then).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Shumon Huque.

2. Bringing NIS (NOT NIS+) up after install

3. IBM3151 Terminal

4. IDE wanted !

5. Printing thru IBM3151 terminal?

6. How TO Partition a FAT32 drive

7. Is ibm3151 terminal capable of Reverse Scroll?

8. router problems

9. ibm3151 terminal emulation

10. ibm3151 Terminal Emulation

11. Termcap or terminfo entry for ibm3151 terminal in wide mode.

12. ibm3151 terminal info (line graphics)

13. ibm3151 terminal user's guide