SGI GL applications on Risc6000's

Post by Bruce Johns » Sat, 05 Jan 1991 01:29:43

We have a couple of Risc6000's for which we purchased the SGI GL
hardware/software options, and I have just started to port some
small 3D graphics programs.  (Watching the net, I see that there
have only been a couple requests for info, but not much response.)

One difference that came up immediately was in opening a window
from a program w/o first specifying height and width.  On an SGI
machine control of the window size defaults to the mouse, but not
so on the IBM.  Instead a small icon is created which can be zoomed
to full screen, but this is not particularly convenient.

Is anybody familiar with this?  Should I be digging deep into an
AIXWindows manual/info-session in an attempt to find an indirect
hint?  What would be especially helpful would be a GL-porting-guide,
but I have not been able to track down such a beast.  Does it exist?

On a tangent, someone asked a while back about sincos from SGI not
existing on IBM.  I see gl_sincos is referenced in the fortran and c
include files in /usr/lpp/ibmgl/examples (provided the latter is
installed).  Don't know if that will be of any use.

Thanks in advance

--
                                Bruce Johnson
                          Chemistry Dept, Rice Univ

1. Display SGI GL on non-SGI box

I saw a post a while back (don't have it anymore) asking how to display
SGI GL graphics on a non-sgi box...  I knew I had seen it somewhere, but
couldn't remember how to do it.  Well, I found my cheat sheet.

setenv __SGI_NO_REMOTE_GL

Keep in mind, however, that not all apps will work (ie I know gr_osview
does not work).  You can try though!

Tyson
--
/\  To Bill Gates: You can dress a turd any way you like\
\_| but it's still a turd!                               |
  |   ___________________________________________________|___
   \_/______________________________________________________/

2. select() question.

3. RISC6000 won't recognized disk as available

4. Where do I go for Kernel Upgrades and Install help?

5. SGI Font Manager for GL on RS6000

6. getting notified on file change?

7. GL from SGI to Linux box?

8. Ping -f has 97% packet loss?

9. RISC6000 won't recognize disk as available

10. equivalent of SGI GL finish()

11. How to export SGI to Linux/X?(GL)

12. Are there any (free) (SGI-)GL emulations for Linux?

13. IBM and sgi gl compatible?