copying / cloning a system disk, can't find an exact answer.

copying / cloning a system disk, can't find an exact answer.

Post by Richard Lefebv » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a proper answer to the cloning thing. I have
read a some of the Q&A and the FAQ on this, but I can't seem to fine
a definitive solution.

Here is the situation. I have 2 43P with a 2gig drive with AIX 4.1.5
on it. What I would like to be able to do is clone the 2gig to the
9gig drive, remove the 2gig drive, change the SCSI ID of the new
drive to have the hdisk0 ID for the system. reboot and all is find
as if the system had originally the 9gig drive. All that without using
a tape drive.

The closest I found to doing something equivalant is:
1. Extend your rootvg with the new disk
    eg:  extendvg rootvg hdisk1
2.  Migrate everything from your old to your new disk:
    eg:   migratepv hdisk0 hdisk1
3.  Create a new blv
          bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk1
4.  Set your bootlist (if you're on a MCA machine, different if your're
on PCI)
          bootlist -m normal hdisk1 [and whatever else]
5.  You may need to delete the boot record from the old disk
          mkboot -c -d /dev/hdisk0 (if your hd5 was on the old disk)
6.  Some peole unset and set their primary dump device:
           sysdumpdev -p /dev/sysdumnull
           sysdumpdev -p /dev/hd6
7.   Get the old disks out of your root vg
           reducevg rootvg hdisk0
8.   Reboot.

Any suggestion on something better, an if step 4 will work on a 43P.
From the previous, it should make hdisk1 the solo boot disk.

Rick.

--
Richard Lefebvre, Sys-admin, CERCA, (514)369-5224            "Don't Panic"

http://www.CERCA.UMontreal.CA/~rick/

copying / cloning a system disk, can't find an exact answer.

Post by John Hawkin » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

You might have a problem adding the 9gig disk to rootvg as I would assume
that having a 2gig drive currently, the pp size will be set to 4mb which
will be too small.

Borrow a tape drive and do the mksysb/restore thing.

>Hi all,

>I'm trying to find a proper answer to the cloning thing. I have
>read a some of the Q&A and the FAQ on this, but I can't seem to fine
>a definitive solution.

>Here is the situation. I have 2 43P with a 2gig drive with AIX 4.1.5
>on it. What I would like to be able to do is clone the 2gig to the
>9gig drive, remove the 2gig drive, change the SCSI ID of the new
>drive to have the hdisk0 ID for the system. reboot and all is find
>as if the system had originally the 9gig drive. All that without using
>a tape drive.

>The closest I found to doing something equivalant is:
>1. Extend your rootvg with the new disk
>    eg:  extendvg rootvg hdisk1
>2.  Migrate everything from your old to your new disk:
>    eg:   migratepv hdisk0 hdisk1
>3.  Create a new blv
>          bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk1
>4.  Set your bootlist (if you're on a MCA machine, different if your're
>on PCI)
>          bootlist -m normal hdisk1 [and whatever else]
>5.  You may need to delete the boot record from the old disk
>          mkboot -c -d /dev/hdisk0 (if your hd5 was on the old disk)
>6.  Some peole unset and set their primary dump device:
>           sysdumpdev -p /dev/sysdumnull
>           sysdumpdev -p /dev/hd6
>7.   Get the old disks out of your root vg
>           reducevg rootvg hdisk0
>8.   Reboot.

>Any suggestion on something better, an if step 4 will work on a 43P.
>From the previous, it should make hdisk1 the solo boot disk.

>Rick.

>--
>Richard Lefebvre, Sys-admin, CERCA, (514)369-5224            "Don't Panic"

>http://www.CERCA.UMontreal.CA/~rick/

1. Make an exact copy of Disk

I have a system I'm developing that works fine on one system, but not
another.  The systems should be identical, but the one that's isn't
working has more patches on it than the one that is working.  What I
would like to do is to make an exact copy of the system disk of the
one that's working and copy it to a new disk.

Is there anything that can do this?  I'm thinking of piping a ufsdump
into a ufsrestore in single-user.  Would this work?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

2. Creative 4210 CD-R

3. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

4. Fix LDM compilation.

5. Answer: Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

6. Files in the desktop.

7. disk to disk copy for Unix System V

8. Trying to make metadevices (soft partitions) available after reinstall

9. KDE v2.2.x - how do I find the exact version I'm running?

10. Answer: Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

11. 'Cloning' a linux system

12. Cloning LSM disks and using the clones on 5.1A