AIX Process table access

Post by Osbi » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 05:48:31

Does anyone know where I can find some useful information on how to access
the AIX process table and other kernel structures ?

Thanks in advance.

AIX Process table access

Post by Dan Fost » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 03:30:52

>> Does anyone know where I can find some useful information on how to access
>> the AIX process table and other kernel structures ?

>The simple answer: man getproc(s)?.

>The complicated answer: wait for Vic Abell to respond. :-)

The in-between answer: take a look at the lsof sources. :-)

ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/

Once the source has been untar'd... look at dialects/aix/*.c.

It also shows how to use getprocs() in dialects/aix/dproc.c
as well (via the GETPROCS macro which just calls getprocs(),
by the way).

Pretty neat package... has support for 13 different dialects!

-Dan

AIX Process table access

Post by Vic Abe » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:10:13

>>> Does anyone know where I can find some useful information on how to access
>>> the AIX process table and other kernel structures ?

>>The simple answer: man getproc(s)?.

>>The complicated answer: wait for Vic Abell to respond. :-)

Given that opportunity, how could I resist,  :-)

Quote:>The in-between answer: take a look at the lsof sources. :-)
>ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/
>Once the source has been untar'd... look at dialects/aix/*.c.
>It also shows how to use getprocs() in dialects/aix/dproc.c
>as well (via the GETPROCS macro which just calls getprocs(),
>by the way).

One word of caution is in order.  The GETPROCS, FDSINFO and PROCINFO
#defines in lsof's dialects/aix/dproc.c form a simple abstraction
that allows lsof to work across the range of AIX versions from 4.3
through 5.1, on 32 and 64 bit Power and IA64 architectures.  When
copying code that uses the abstraction layer, make sure its enclosing
pre-processor #if/#else/#endif block names the AIX version and
architecture of interest.  (See dialects/aix/dlsof for an explanation
of values for the architecture symbol, AIXA.)

Here's another observation about using getprocs64() with 64 bit
Power architecture on AIX 5.1: the pid return argument (argument
five) must be 32 bits.  Type casting it as pid_t makes it 64 bits
and that prevents getprocs64() from working.

Thanks for the kind words about lsof.

I continue to acknowledge my debt to Loc Le and Nasser Momtaheni of
IBM's San Mateo Solution Developer Marketing center for making AIX
5.x systems available for lsof testing.

1. where are process-table, region-table, inode-table?

Hi,
        Can anyone tell me where I can change the text table (the max # of
executable that a system can run at any time) , region table , inode tables
and file table? I want to tune my kernel a bit, since it's running slow
w/ my 486 8M.. somehow the kernel is taking more than 10% of my total memory
(624k for kernel code, 384k reserved, 376k data).... leaving me enough to
barely run a X... I read a book called "System Tuning" (base on System V)
which mentioned something about changing the text table , region table,
inode tables anf file table to tune the system. Anyone know where I should
change these defaults? Anyone think that the kernel configuration script
should allow us to estimate the # of users our system will be serving..and
then calculate(estimate) the size of these tables? Does these tables
exist in Linux?

Please enlighten me..

TIA

Dan

2. POP3 SERVER FOR AIX 3.2

3. How can I access the Process Table?

4. Mandrake 8.2 and H323 ip_masq module

5. /proc - how to find and access the file table of a process?

6. Newcommer questions: Printer and Mouse

7. Process table, how to access??

8. The PARALLEL Processing Connection - What Is It?

9. Accessing the PROCess table (how?)

10. HELP: access process table

11. How to access process table

12. Process table access