Paging Space Low

Post by Dan Wat » Wed, 07 Nov 1990 23:07:24

I've got a slight problem with my RS/6000 model 320.  Seems that I keep
getting warning messages "paging space low".  OK, so now what do I do?
I tried running smit to change the page space via "chps" but I get the
error:

0516-404 allocp: Not enough resources available to fulfill
        allocation. Either not enough free partitions or not enough
        physical volumes to keep strictness. Try again with
        different allocation characteristics.
0516-788 extendlv: Unable to extend logical volume.
chps: Cannot change paging space hd6.

I then tried to change my logical volume to reduce the size.  Seems I
can't do that either.  So what's a person to do?  Do I have to make a
backup and then somehow re-init the disk and somehow reload the backup?
Please tell me there's an easier way.  If not, I guess I'll just leave
it with the low page space and deal with it* up every once in a
while like it does until I get the spare time to reload this.

# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!{uunet | wgc386}!ki!dwatts      Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

Paging Space Low

Post by Dave Kinchl » Fri, 09 Nov 1990 01:02:36

I am new to RS6000 and to setting up UUCP so please bare with me -:)

I have UUCP setup to call remote machines (two of them) and I have the
config files in /usr/lib/uucp properly configured at least to the point
of UUCICO actually making the appropate call, lging in and send
files. The files arrive in good condition however the acks are never
seen by the RS6000 and so UUCICO dies an ugly death.

When I use UUCICO in slave mode all is fine. Question: Is there something I
am missing? I thought that this was a standard protocol. The two boxes I am
connecting to are Xenix-286 (with the older L.sys type UUCP) and Xenix-386
with the Honey-Danber(sp?) UUCP. Both of these boxes are used elsewhere and
also between each other sucessfully.

The other odd semi-related problem that I have is in setting up tty1
as the dialup port. There are two problems really:

1) When the port is defined and login is disabled then I can do a mkdev
and make the port available for dialout use. I can then do a rmdev on the
ty1 and reconfigure it to enable login, do a mkdev and getty goes on the line
But when I want to do it the other way and now do an rmdev I get  a
database locked error and the change does not happen. To make it happen I
have to reboot the system (and make sure that tty1 is only defined on
reboot). This is obviously not desirable at all. Any solutions? hints towards
solutions? Sorry I don't know the current patch level although I here that
we will get a new release *soon*.

2) When getty is on the line (telephone) it takes a ctrl-c to wake it up!
This will not work for most call in scripts. I changed the intr character
to ^? and that (sort-of) fixed the problem for now but I better solution
would be nice.

Sorry for the bandwidth,

cheers kinch

Paging Space Low

Post by Bjorn Engs » Fri, 09 Nov 1990 18:11:04

|I've got a slight problem with my RS/6000 model 320.  Seems that I keep
|getting warning messages "paging space low".  OK, so now what do I do?
|I tried running smit to change the page space via "chps" but I get the
|[errors telling that it cannot be extended]
If you have free space [logical partitions] on other disks, you can add a new
paging space from one of these, also using SMIT.
--

ORACLE Corporation    From IBM: auschs!ibmchs!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!oracle!bengsig

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

Paging Space Low

Post by Dan Wat » Sun, 11 Nov 1990 13:38:58

>|I've got a slight problem with my RS/6000 model 320.  Seems that I keep
>|getting warning messages "paging space low".  OK, so now what do I do?
>|I tried running smit to change the page space via "chps" but I get the
>|[errors telling that it cannot be extended]
>If you have free space [logical partitions] on other disks, you can add a new
>paging space from one of these, also using SMIT.

No free space at all left.  I've just got the one 320MB drive and I used
up all the free space.

I think having a utility (even if run from single user) that would shrink
a filesystem would be a BIG plus.  It shouldn't be too hard to rearange
things on the disk to free up some partition space.

We just spent two days backing up the system and then restoring from tape.
This was certainly NOT a fun filled time.  Now I'm going to leave 20MB or
so unallocated just in case I might need it at some future date.
# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!{uunet | wgc386}!ki!dwatts      Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

1. Paging Space Low warning

I'm getting warnings on my console from INIT that paging space is low,
but lsps shows that only 40% of the 48MB paging space is in use. The
machine has been thrashing, so it would appear that the warning is
pertinent. Any explanations out there?

2. Help: Max No. of clients supported...

3. what is generating these paging space low messages?

4. aic7xxx driver update

5. SIGDANGER - page space low

6. How to add a gateway route

7. INIT: Paging space low