mksysb restore fails

Post by Mark Harr » Tue, 14 May 2002 16:53:58

If anyone has had any experience of the following problem ( or knows
the answer anyway ) I'd be very grateful for their expertise.

I'm trying to clone one H80 from another ( slightly different config -
the source m/c is multi-processor with rootvg mirrored on 2 x 9gb
drives, and the target is uni-processor with 2 x 18gb. )

On the source, I've modified bosinst.data with 'RECOVER_DEVICES = no'
. The source box is in use 24 x 7, so I've had to mksysb in-flight.

When I come to do the recover, I boot from the install cd, and then
choose the option to install from a backup, without changing any
default settings ( both disks have been pre-selected for installing ).

As the install progresses, it fails to unpack a series of log files:

Unpack: file out of phase
Unpack: internal unpacking error: decode failure
Restore: error during unpack of ....
Unpack: bad read of pipe
:Error 0
BOS Install: Restore of Base Operating System from rmt0 failed.

At this stage I felt not too concerned, as these were unneeded log
files, and the install gave me the option to continue, which I did.
Then after that I received:

BOS Install: Could not populate devices directory

( Option to continue, so I did.... )

BOS Install: Could not copy volume group information to the disk

( Option to continue, so I did.... )

Copying Cu* to disk

After this, the install just suspended.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd be very interested.

TIA
Mark

mksysb restore fails

Post by Mark Harr » Wed, 15 May 2002 16:36:12

The workaround to the original problem was to do a network install
with the help of Storix. I just didn't have time to get to the root of
the problem, but I think it could have been:

1. The install CD being fairly old, whereas the mksysb image had the
latest AIX ML, or
2. The PP size of rootvg not being large enough for the 18Gb disks (
it was only 16Mb on the source system ), or
3. The mksysb image not having the bos.up fileset when the target
system had only 1 cpu, or ( most likely )...
4. Something else.

Mark

mksysb restore fails

Post by Urban A. Haa » Wed, 15 May 2002 05:18:35

Quote:> If anyone has had any experience of the following problem ( or knows
> the answer anyway ) I'd be very grateful for their expertise.

> I'm trying to clone one H80 from another ( slightly different config -
> the source m/c is multi-processor with rootvg mirrored on 2 x 9gb
> drives, and the target is uni-processor with 2 x 18gb. )

> On the source, I've modified bosinst.data with 'RECOVER_DEVICES = no'
> . The source box is in use 24 x 7, so I've had to mksysb in-flight.

I've never had to modify this, if cloning from the install media CD.
Quote:

> When I come to do the recover, I boot from the install cd, and then
> choose the option to install from a backup, without changing any
> default settings ( both disks have been pre-selected for installing ).

> As the install progresses, it fails to unpack a series of log files:

> Unpack: file out of phase
> Unpack: internal unpacking error: decode failure
> Restore: error during unpack of ....
> Unpack: bad read of pipe
> :Error 0
> BOS Install: Restore of Base Operating System from rmt0 failed.

> At this stage I felt not too concerned, as these were unneeded log
> files, and the install gave me the option to continue, which I did.
> Then after that I received:

> BOS Install: Could not populate devices directory

> ( Option to continue, so I did.... )

> BOS Install: Could not copy volume group information to the disk

> ( Option to continue, so I did.... )

> Copying Cu* to disk

> After this, the install just suspended.

> If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd be very interested.

> TIA
> Mark

1. mksysb restore fail for license server

Dear all,

I duplicate a mksysb image from one machine to another.  I found that
everything is OK except for the license server with C/C++ and Fortran
installed.  Do I needed to reinstall license server software every time
when I duplicate a host?  How can one manage a large lab. with several
hosts each carried the same license software configuration?

I was using AIX 4.2.1 with i4cfg 2.0.1.  The compiler I have installed is
ibmcxx and xlf.  If you have any information and trick on handling them,
please e-mail me or post here for reference.

Regards,

--
Morris Law
Assistant Computer Officer    Address : 224 Waterloo Road, KLN, Hong Kong

2. The Geek Code (v0.2)

3. mksysb restore with map files fails due to hdisk renumbering

4. slattach for permanent SLIP connection

5. Restoring mksysb insists on restoring mirrors.

6. removing LILO BOOT??

7. problems restoring mksysb tape

8. HELP ! Weird autofs problem !!

9. mksysb tape restore question

10. restore mksysb with jfs2 filesystem to jfs filesystem

11. Restore mksysb on hard drive with larger PP size

12. Some device special files missing after restoring from mksysb

13. mksysb restore