Supported Video Adapters for a B50 - AIX 4.3.3

Supported Video Adapters for a B50 - AIX 4.3.3

Post by Keith Coope » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 04:44:41

I just purchased a RS/6000 model B50 running AIX v4.3.3.0.
It did not come with a video card.  I am only able to telnet in
via the Serial ports or via a network conneciton. It would be
nice to have a video card, but I priced an entry-level GXT130P
and it is $254.70.  Are there any  non-IBM supported video cards
and drivers available anywhere?

Thanks,
Keith Cooper
Unix Administrator
Self Regional Healthcare
AIX User & AIX System Admin V4 Certified.

Supported Video Adapters for a B50 - AIX 4.3.3

Post by Martin Etteldor » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 07:26:45

Hello Keith,

> I just purchased a RS/6000 model B50 running AIX v4.3.3.0.
> It did not come with a video card.  I am only able to telnet in
> via the Serial ports or via a network conneciton. It would be
> nice to have a video card, but I priced an entry-level GXT130P
> and it is $254.70.  Are there any  non-IBM supported video cards
> and drivers available anywhere?

Get your Hands on a Diamond Viper Pro PCI/VP (only "/VP"'s will work,
the Viper without "/VP" will _not_). Remove the VGA BIOS Rom Chip,
install the Drivers (IBM S15 for the 4 MB Version, IBM E15 for the 2 MB
Version), stuff the card into your B50 and enjoy.

Ummm... one minor problem, though. The S15/E15/Viper Cards will not work
as a console in your B50, so be sure to have a serial Terminal at hand
when running into trouble.

At the moment I'm working on rebuilding a Matrox Millenium (2/4/6/8 MB)
to be AIX compatible. The IBM GXT120 is almost identical to the Matrox
Millenium. Seems to have only a different Firmware. I'll post my results
when I've hacked the MGA Firmware successfully so stay tuned.

                Martin.

--
BOFH excuse of the day:
  permission denied

Neue Bilder: <http://gruftie.net/Gallery/Konzert2/1.html>

Post by Norman Levi » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 05:09:31

| I just purchased a RS/6000 model B50 running AIX v4.3.3.0.
| It did not come with a video card.  I am only able to telnet in
| via the Serial ports or via a network conneciton. It would be
| nice to have a video card, but I priced an entry-level GXT130P
| and it is $254.70.  Are there any  non-IBM supported video cards
| and drivers available anywhere?
|
| Thanks,
| Keith Cooper
| Unix Administrator
| Self Regional Healthcare
| AIX User & AIX System Admin V4 Certified.

Would it be easier to start an Xserver on your laptop and have that as your
graphic interface to AIX?
norm

---

Supported Video Adapters for a B50 - AIX 4.3.3

Post by Keith Coope » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 08:33:38

I could use my copy of Reflections, but interested in making the box a
workstation and explorer all the possibilities of AIX.
I use AIX at work all day at work, mostly through a telnet session over the
network and just wanted to experience AIX differently.   :)

Thanks,
Keith Cooper
Unix Administrator
Self Regional Healthcare
Greenwood, SC  USA
AIX User & System Administrator V4 Certified

.  Are there any  non-IBM supported video cards

Quote:> | and drivers available anywhere?

> | Thanks,
> | Keith Cooper
> | Unix Administrator
> | Self Regional Healthcare
> | AIX User & AIX System Admin V4 Certified.
> |
> Would it be easier to start an Xserver on your laptop and have that as
your
> graphic interface to AIX?
> norm

> ---

1. VGA adapter as console on rs6000/B50 with aix 4.3 possible?

hi,

i have purchased an ibm rs6000-b50 and built an old pci vga-card (elsa
winner 1000)
in it.
i can assign the console to the vga monitor and the sms works. the
install of aix4.3 from the cd is only possible with an attached
terminal, i think because of aix not having drivers for my vga-card.
so far, so good.
now i have finished install and my system boots on the terminal.

is there any possibility to get the system boot on my elsa winner
vga-card
in order to disable the terminal?
are there any drivers, perhaps i can use drivers for another card
which eventually works with mine?
or is there support for any cheap usual pci vga-card which i can use
with my aix?

any workarounds or experiences would be great.

regards, wolf.

2. demon, PPP, diald

3. Supported Video Adapters?

4. Postfix with gmail as smarthost

5. Is Jaton Video-87 AGP adapter supported?

6. How to login from a DOS-PC through parallel laplink cable

7. Video adapters supported

8. please help: video card issues

9. well supported accelerated video adapter

10. CAN AIX 3.2.5 support 128 port RAN adapter.

11. Re. AIX support for remote tape units Re: AIX support for remote tape units

12. Recommend Video Card for IBM RS6K B50?

13. Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP