Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works?

Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works?

Post by m.. » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:29:55

Hi,

Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works or what it
does?  I need to know what happens when a failover situation occurs.

TIA

Mark Williams
http://www.techop.co.uk

Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works?

Post by Who Knows » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 21:04:31

http://www.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/ibmsw/high_avail_network/hacm...

Basically, when a failover occurs, a second machine in the HACMP cluster
assumes the identity of the failing machine (including IP/MAC
addresses), assimilates the DASD resources from the failed/failing
machine, and begins to run the resources which were available on the
original machine.  The process where the recovery machine assumes the
identity of the failing machine can take anywhere from 5-6 minutes to
1/2 hour based on system configuration and complexity.

> Hi,

> Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works or what it
> does?  I need to know what happens when a failover situation occurs.

> TIA

> Mark Williams
> http://www.techop.co.uk

Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works?

Post by Peter Mu » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

mit Datum Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:29:55 GMT in comp.unix.aix:

!Hi,
!
!Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works or what it
!does?  I need to know what happens when a failover situation occurs.

Depends in which depth You wanna know this.

What I have done is: read the redbook "Certification Study Guide"
for HACMP. I liked it.

If You wanna know failover processings in more detail, well they
are ksh scripts, You could just read them. But I think thats boring...

PMc
--
                   --- Communications powered by FreeBSD --
Write to: Peter Much * Fichtenstr. 28 * D-65527 Niedernhausen * +49-6127-967111

Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works?

Post by Bernhard Hochstette » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi Peter,

try to get the RedBook High Availability on the RISC System/6000 Family
SG24-4551-00  from http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks. It is in pdf format. It is
an older version but the principles
haven't changed.

Hope this helps
Bernhard

> mit Datum Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:29:55 GMT in comp.unix.aix:

> !Hi,
> !
> !Where can I get a simple description of how HACMP works or what it
> !does?  I need to know what happens when a failover situation occurs.

> Depends in which depth You wanna know this.

> What I have done is: read the redbook "Certification Study Guide"
> for HACMP. I liked it.

> If You wanna know failover processings in more detail, well they
> are ksh scripts, You could just read them. But I think thats boring...

> PMc
> --
>                    --- Communications powered by FreeBSD --
> Write to: Peter Much * Fichtenstr. 28 * D-65527 Niedernhausen * +49-6127-967111

1. Does hacmp synchronisations need hacmp started ?

Though I have followed the IBM training lessons on hacmp
administration, I cannot remember if this topic has been treated.

If hacmp is running on my node and I want to synchronize the topology
or the resources from my node to a remote node,  does this need hacmp
running on the remote node ?

On the  other side, if hacmp is *not* running on my node, can I
synchronize a remote node with hacmp running ?

Regards

2. default printer?

3. Difference between HACMP and HACMP/ES

4. setup user rights to install software

5. Weird behaviour after upgrading from HACMP/ES 4.4.0 to HACMP/ES 4.4.1

6. Help Please! -> TCP/IP

7. HACMP information getting passed to application server script?

8. Xfree86 installation help

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. Simple client/server socket program works on one Linux machine, it doesnot work on other machine

11. It's not bad canned meat...

12. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

13. CGI: apache canned response