permits on /dev/tty after install

Post by Scott Ho » Fri, 07 Dec 1990 01:30:18

I recently installed AIX 3.1 - 3001 on two 320s using a backup
tape made from one of our other systems. After installing these
two machines we found that non-root users could not execute the
X server.

A trace indicated that the X server was failing when trying to
open /dev/tty. The permits on /dev/tty were 622 (rw--w--w-) and
it was owned by root. On other systems, mostly preinstalled, the
permits on /dev/tty are 666 - including the system from which
the installtion image was made.

We have our solution - simply change the permits. However, I would
be interested in knowing why the permits were set this way and
if there are any other negative implications of installing a
system in this way. Also, though the documentation implies that
this is safe, the machine from which the backup image was made
was not a 320, but a 540.

- Scott

permits on /dev/tty after install

Post by r.. » Wed, 19 Dec 1990 09:11:05

The reason for the change is simply "it's a bug".
1. edit the file /usr/bin/dskt.proto and find where the /dev/tty device
is defined (search for tty) and you will see the offending 622 permissions.
Change this to 644.
 bosboot -c -d /dev/rfd0 -p /usr/bin/dkst.proto -f /usr/bin/dskt.fs -b
/tmp/dkst.image
  dd if=/tmp/dkst.image of=/dev/rfd0 ibs-1b obs=90b conv=sync

The permissions for the /dev files are taken from the filesystem on the
boot floppy, not
from the image on the tape.
IBM AIX Porting Center  | RSCS: CHUKRAN at AUSTIN

Austin, Texas 78758     | Voice: 512-838-4674  Tieline: 678-4674

1. Getting the real tty device name (/dev/tty not good enough)

Does anyone have any handy code that works on Sun to dope out the real
device name of the controlling terminal for a process? /dev/tty is just
not good enough for what I need to do.

Send mail to me and I will summarize.

Thanks in advance.

--

Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine. Baylor College of Medicine

2. LinuxPPC Performa 5400 Graphics

3. /dev/ttyS? vs /dev/cua?

4. Updated X3DLabs server yet?

5. diff between /dev/tty and /dev/pts

6. HELP Trident PCI-47

7. /dev/cua /dev/ttyS and getty_ps

8. UsRobitics sportster voice series, supported?

9. /dev//dev/tty: No such file or directory when requesting uptime

10. syslogd: "/" in "/dev//dev/tty"

11. kermit cannot open /dev/tty, /dev/cua1?

12. Getting unexpected syslogd: '/' in "/dev//dev/tty"