Disk Partitioning 4.3.3

Post by Mikhae » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 05:20:06

We currently have an 18GB disk that rootvg is sitting on.  Due to our
application's requirements we've moved all accounts from /home to another
filesystem.  We want to allocate 3GB to be available to / /usr /var and /tmp
combined.  Coming from a Unixware environment, it is our process to have /
/usr /tmp and /var all located on the same filesystem.  Is this possible in
AIX?  If so, what would be the best way of making this happen?

Mike

Disk Partitioning 4.3.3

Post by Rodney Clar » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 06:27:19

NOT a good idea
doubtful if you would have a bootble system if you managed to make the
changes.

Quote:> We currently have an 18GB disk that rootvg is sitting on.  Due to our
> application's requirements we've moved all accounts from /home to
> another filesystem.  We want to allocate 3GB to be available to / /usr
> /var and /tmp combined.  Coming from a Unixware environment, it is our
> process to have / /usr /tmp and /var all located on the same filesystem.
>  Is this possible in AIX?  If so, what would be the best way of making
> this happen?

> Mike

Disk Partitioning 4.3.3

Post by kal » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 08:39:34

> We currently have an 18GB disk that rootvg is sitting on.  Due to our
> application's requirements we've moved all accounts from /home to another
> filesystem.  We want to allocate 3GB to be available to / /usr /var and /tmp
> combined.  Coming from a Unixware environment, it is our process to have /
> /usr /tmp and /var all located on the same filesystem.  Is this possible in
> AIX?  If so, what would be the best way of making this happen?

> Mike

even if it were possible, it would involve hacking a bunch of start up scripts
(rc.boot for example) it defintely would not
be supported

Disk Partitioning 4.3.3

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:11:03

> We currently have an 18GB disk that rootvg is sitting on.  Due to our
> application's requirements we've moved all accounts from /home to another
> filesystem.  We want to allocate 3GB to be available to / /usr /var and /tmp
> combined.  Coming from a Unixware environment, it is our process to have /
> /usr /tmp and /var all located on the same filesystem.
> Is this possible in AIX?

Probably.  But:
#1 - The boot will probably fail if the rootfs is too big.
#2 - You would have to change A LOT of system scripts
#3 - Said scripts would be replaced with standard versions
     every time you apply a fix to the system. (modify again)
#4 - You could be charged with "death by uncontrollable laughter"
     if you called for support with that system. (no laughing matter).
#5 - It acomplishes nothing (an average of one partition gained, at most).
#6 - /tmp and /var should NEVER be on / or /usr filesystems (lack
     of space on / or /usr is a funny thing, you never notice it
     until you get weird behavior).

Quote:> If so, what would be the best way of making this happen?

Recognize that each system has it's peculiarities.  AIX is this
way, and trying to force it to be something else can become a
source for much frustration.

--
Doing AIX support was the most monty-pythonesque
activity available at the time.

Disk Partitioning 4.3.3

Post by Terry Polz » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:11:12

> > We currently have an 18GB disk that rootvg is sitting on.  Due to our
> > application's requirements we've moved all accounts from /home to another
> > filesystem.  We want to allocate 3GB to be available to / /usr /var and /tmp
> > combined.  Coming from a Unixware environment, it is our process to have /
> > /usr /tmp and /var all located on the same filesystem.

Putting / /usr /var & /tmp within the same file system in a NO NO or
should be on any unix machine.  Bad form for even a Unixwhere system.