filesystems on Sun/Solaris

Post by Jan Van der Schuer » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:08:41

Dear all,

I've only just started working with a Sun/solaris system, but I'm used
to work with AIX/Unix.
In AIX I use smit to increase the size of a logical volume. How do I
do this in Sun/Solaris ?

Thx,

Jan.

filesystems on Sun/Solaris

Post by Scott L. Field » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:24:07

IN base Solaris, you need to repartition your hard disk to the size you
want and re-create the filesystem. To dynamically extend a filesystem like
AIX allows, you need to purchase the LVM and Filesystem from Veritas,
which most Sun shops do.

Quote:> Dear all,

> I've only just started working with a Sun/solaris system, but I'm used
> to work with AIX/Unix.
> In AIX I use smit to increase the size of a logical volume. How do I
> do this in Sun/Solaris ?

> Thx,

> Jan.

filesystems on Sun/Solaris

Post by Stefaan A Eeckel » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:17:03

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 05:24:07 -0600

> > I've only just started working with a Sun/solaris system, but I'm used
> > to work with AIX/Unix.
> > In AIX I use smit to increase the size of a logical volume. How do I
> > do this in Sun/Solaris ?
> IN base Solaris, you need to repartition your hard disk to the size you
> want and re-create the filesystem. To dynamically extend a filesystem
> like AIX allows, you need to purchase the LVM and Filesystem from
> Veritas, which most Sun shops do.

Or they use DiskSuite, which comes with Solaris8, is free,
and works like a charm.

--
Stefaan
--

filesystems on Sun/Solaris

Post by James Carlso » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 04:31:02

Quote:> I've only just started working with a Sun/solaris system, but I'm used
> to work with AIX/Unix.

Why post a Solaris question to an AIX group?  (Note follow-up.)

Quote:> In AIX I use smit to increase the size of a logical volume. How do I
> do this in Sun/Solaris ?

I'm not a storage management expert (by any stretch of the
imagination), but here's one way:

--

SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

1. Filesystem Restore Problem Sun/Solaris

I recently needed to reorganize the filesystems on a Sparc 10 with GT
Graphics.  Of course, with Solaris this requires removing all data from
the existing filesystems (I wasn't able to preserve any of them).

The filesystem reorg. and restoration of data did not pose a problem.
I used ufsdump and ufsrestore.  I restored directory by directory
(ufsrestore -ivf) and skipped the ufsrestore file and /dev/dsk &
/dev/rdsk.

I am experiencing a problem with open windows now, though.  There are
horizontal green lines about 2-3 pixels tall across the entire screen.
My X.25 is also disabled, but I can more easily reconfigure that.

I would like to ask others who have been through this procedure before
for advice.  Do all patches need to be backed out and reapplied after a
restore?  Should the -i option for restoration be avoided for this
operation?  Is there something I missed?

I am having the monitor and Graphics Tower checked for hardware
problems, in case the timing is purely coincidental with this
filesystem operation.

Please post a follow-up or e-mail if you have advice.

Thanks,

John Spaeth

2. elm & less (Re: Pager that isn't painful?)

3. NFS mounting NT filesystem in SUN Solaris box.

4. LILO and fdisk /mbr

5. filesystems on Sun/Solaris

6. mounting multiple logical drives w/ 2.5.1 x86

7. Mysterious Sun Solaris root filesystem fillup

8. sound problems...

9. How to put X11R6.4 in Sun Solaris 2.5.1 (running on Sun Ultra Sparc)

10. SUMMARY: FIXED BY SUN - Sun DROPS SUPPORT OF 4/470 4/490 for Solaris

11. Looking for Solaris 2.6 SUN Admin Book (SUN 287 , Admin II)

12. solaris 9 12/3: reading on-disk sun-doc (sun-netscape): font WAY too small

13. SUN ISDN 1.0.2 and SUN async PPP (Solaris 2.4)